Palimpsest  

Go Back   Palimpsest > Reviews > Book Reviews

Old 28th May 2014, 23:58   #11
Ang
Senior Palimpsester
suckles at the teat of the Palim-God

Default Re: The Political Gene - Dennis Sewell

Loupgarous, I can't quite figure out your politics. You seem to be quoting some disputable right wing statistics but you must be in stark disagreement with your party re: a woman's right to choose. ?

Last edited by Ang; 29th May 2014 at 0:18.
Ang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2014, 18:11   #12
loupgarous
Junior Palimpsestarian
is a Regular

Actually, Ang, I'm in full and vivid agreement with a woman's right to choose.

Where'd you get evidence to support any other conclusion?

Since you're not going to actually read anything I've written here, I'm going to not comment any further regarding my thoughts on gratuitous reproduction after this, because I can see the prognostics of a long and pointless exchange of political compliments.

If you can't figure my politics from my comments here (this is a literary forum, so there's no reason you should), let me spell them out so you can understand them. I'm a libertarian. I believe in the individual's rights as long as they don't conflict with the rights of other individuals.

I don't believe that the government has an automatic claim on other people's money to pay for my mistakes, or on my money for someone else's mistakes. I don't mind paying taxes to do the things the Constitution requires - a common defense and provision for the common welfare. The "common welfare" has, however, been misconstrued to encourage irresponsibility in personal conduct which results in creating children.

I am very committed to a woman's right to choose, Ang. You'll find no stronger advocate of birth control. I don't think I get a vote on whether a woman has an abortion, it's her body. I don't think, though, that once the woman has six babies, she's entitled to publicly-financed housing and a separate bedroom for each little tyke (and under the Section 8 program, such follies are a part of the agenda).

The people who pay for that sort of foolishness can't, by and large, afford that sort of conduct, because the vast majority of the tax base is generated (here in the United States, at least) by people who, after the tax man grabs his share of their paychecks, have to watch their expenses and plan their own pregnancies. If that's good enough for the taxpayers, it's good enough for the people they support.

As far as Noumenon's "There may be a lot of people of little-to-no means who expect support for nothing, but they are well-balanced by those at the other end of the scale taking hand-over-fist and giving nothing back," the ones at the other end of the scale actually make the social welfare state possible. Demonizing them for earning - not "taking" - a good living and creating an economy that pays for all the things a government must do isn't helpful. And Noumenon, the wealthier 53% of the population give quite a bit back to the country - they can't help but do so.

There's no "rich people's exemption" from property taxes, road use taxes (those are taken at the gas pump and assessed equitably - use a lot of fuel, and you're using the roads a lot, too), sales taxes, or income tax, for that matter. Capital gains tax is back in effect, now, so if your property simply gets more valuable from the time you bought it, you're taxed on THAT, too. And that capital gains tax is assessed on everyone; through their pension and retirement funds, most working Americans are, in fact, capitalists and have holdings subject to capital gains tax unless they're very careful to stay within certain bounds in the law protecting homeowners and retirees from being gouged too badly by the tax man.

This is the last time I'll explain my views. I hope everyone here can read declarative English sentences and deduce my politics and everything else they'd like to know from them.

"Those whom the gods would destroy, they first make ridiculous." P.J. O'Rourke

Last edited by loupgarous; 12th Jul 2015 at 23:29.
loupgarous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2014, 1:01   #13
Ang
Senior Palimpsester

It's that 53% thing that makes me cringe. As if 47% are scroungers. It sounds very Tea Party, but I thought they were anti-abortion and birth control, so you broke the mold.
Old 5th Jul 2015, 21:57   #14
loupgarous
Junior Palimpsestarian
is a Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ang View Post
It's that 53% thing that makes me cringe. As if 47% are scroungers. It sounds very Tea Party, but I thought they were anti-abortion and birth control, so you broke the mold.
Ang, if your 47-percenter doesn't pay taxes, has never paid taxes (except into our national pension schemes such as Social Security Disability and Retirement, Medicare and Medicaid), and never expects to pay taxes, but take from the national treasury and loudly assert his or her right to "Earned Income Credits" (which literally steal from Peter to pay Paul what Paul never earned) - what would you call that conduct?

I call it cynical exploitation of those who ARE paying taxes.

And it's not (as the Left's meme has it here) "the 1% versus the 99%."

It's a mare's nest of a tax code that makes succeeding as a small businessman a borderline criminal offense, for only those of us who can afford tax attorneys can be absolutely sure they can defend themselves in court against an Internal Revenue Service auditor who doesn't like their political stance. It's happened many times in the past six years.

Last edited by loupgarous; 10th Jul 2015 at 17:36.
Old 11th Jul 2015, 10:18   #15
Ang
Senior Palimpsester

Default Re: Dennis Sewell: The Political Gene

Why would you say "except into our national pension schemes such as Social Security Disability and Retirement, Medicare and Medicaid" - to pay into those, they were working. So you think it's okay for your business to minimize tax, but low income people should not get a break.

The 47% figure, implying nearly half the country were scroungers, was debunked by many television stations and newspapers, including traditionally right-wing newspapers. I would guess only Fox News agreed with it.
Old 12th Jul 2015, 23:55   #16
loupgarous
Junior Palimpsestarian
is a Regular

Default Re: Dennis Sewell: The Political Gene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ang View Post
Why would you say "except into our national pension schemes such as Social Security Disability and Retirement, Medicare and Medicaid" - to pay into those, they were working. So you think it's okay for your business to minimize tax, but low income people should not get a break.
I think that if it's okay

- for the people who pay taxes in this country to have to plan their pregnancies carefully, limit the number of children they have to a number they can support, and put aside money not only for a retirement more comfortable than US$1500 a month will support but for the education of those children in college, then

- it's okay to say to supposed adult men and women who neither work nor pay taxes, yet reproduce

"Ah. You've made not one baby, but eight, at public expense. We have some fascinating, if perhaps thankless, job opportunities for you. We'll make sure that your life is made meaningful and fulfilling by insisting you join every other pair of parents in the country in working hard to support your kids.
If you choose not to avail yourself of these opportunities, we'll find parents for your children who WANT to support children, love them and provide for their needs, and in the meantime we will no longer support you in the manner to which you have become accustomed.
Let us know what you decide.
Signed, the Patriarchical Folks Who Are Footing the Bill"

See, small businessmen are getting screwed every time they turn around here in America. They and their employees are being made to support Big Insurance by purchasing insurance policies that cover unlikely contingencies such as maternity coverage for men and for ladies who've undergone hysterectomies, and other cynical, if crowd-pleasing dirty tricks.

And while the Internal Revenue Service still doesn't care much if they support the President's political party with contributions to tax-exempt organizations which support his agenda, God help them if they'd like to support tax-exempt organizations who don't support the President or his political agenda.

The IRS says they've stopped such one-sided acts of partisan intimidation, but how's Congress to know? The Inspector-General of the Treasury Department, along with over 50 other Federal agency Inspectors-General, have filed formal complaints of complete non-cooperation from the agencies they are legally required to oversee for misconduct of this sort.

Meanwhile, the IRS told Congress with a perfectly straight face that it's taken them two years to find documents documenting the Obama administration's Nixonian tactics. This from an organization that requires taxpayers to maintain records on their income for from five to seven years.

Somehow, blaming small businessmen for wanting to reduce subsidies to one of the most secretive, vindictive, corrupt and wasteful administrations in American history's a bit rich.