Palimpsest  

Go Back   Palimpsest > Reviews > Book Reviews

Old 21st Sep 2004, 17:29   #1
bakunin_the_cat
Palimpsestarian
laughs in the face of fear

Default Oscar and Lucinda

My dad passed this onto me, but despite the booker prize I'm not sure if I want to read it. Just wondered if anybody had and what they thought.

I read the True History OTKG and quite liked it despite the mixed reaction it's had here, as it protrayed a deterministic slide into crime, not a hollywood folk hero.
bakunin_the_cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Sep 2004, 18:36   #2
John Self
Administrator
suffers from smallness of vision

Oscar and Lucinda is the only Carey I have enjoyed enough not only to finish, but to read twice. For what that's worth...
John Self is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Sep 2004, 19:08   #3
Colyngbourne
Administrator
is beyond help

I *loved* it - I'd never read any Carey before (and haven't managed to since) but I would read this one again. And the chance to see the Ralph Fiennes and Cate Blanchett film would be very welcome. It was a strange but compelling tale.
Colyngbourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Sep 2004, 10:53   #4
bakunin_the_cat
Palimpsestarian
laughs in the face of fear

Quote:
Oscar and Lucinda is the only Carey I have enjoyed enough not only to finish, but to read twice. For what that's worth...
Quote:
I *loved* it - I'd never read any Carey before (and haven't managed to since) but I would read this one again.
Cheers guys. Sounds like a pretty good recommendation though it's still not exactly jumping off the shelf begging me to read it. I don't know why. It's just not. I've just started Tales of the Alhambra by Washington Irving, so maybe I'll feel different after that.

To be honest Mother Hubbard's bookshelf is looking pretty sparse at the moment. Apart from these two the only books I haven't read are The Complete Works of Kafka, which is about the size of a breeze block and weighs twice as much, or Der Hauptmann von Koepernick, which despite its slender stature would take me nearly as long to read as it's in German. So unless I get to a charity shop in the next few days I'm not exactly abounding with options. Stupidly enough I was in one for 5 1/2 hours on Sunday but didn't buy any books, as I a) didn't have any money b) didn't want to carry them home on my bike (yes I've given up on public transport for the time being) . As you can see my organisational skills know no beginning.
bakunin_the_cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Sep 2004, 1:33   #5
caprilaser
Junior Palimpsestarian
is starting to settle in

Default oscar and lucinda

Yes, i've read this too, and I really liked it. It's quite a bizarre, twisting tale and lots of the visual images it evoked have stayed with me. I'd share them with you but don't want to spoil the surprises. I really recommend it. It has eccentric, complex characters and despite the fact that the narrative is so odd and 'angular' it reads very smoothly...
caprilaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Sep 2004, 15:24   #6
jim
Palimpsestarian
worries mother

Not my favourite Carey. I much preferred Illywacker(sp?)
jim is offline   Reply With Quote