Palimpsest  

Go Back   Palimpsest > Reviews > Film Reviews

Old 29th May 2007, 11:53   #1
pandop
Palimpsestarian
eats too much cheese

Default Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End

Far, far better than Spiderman 3.

Although this was a long film (3 hours or so), it didn't feel long, as there was enough happening at all times to keep your interest.

I don't want to give away the ending, but the fate of Will surprised me, while the fate of Jack had a nice circularity with the beginning of the trilogy. There were a few other character developments which I liked too, but are a bit too crucial to the plot to mention now.

Jack is madder than ever, which gives Johnny Depp the chance to show of some fine acting. Keith Richards is remarkably understated as Jack's father, and Chow Yun-Fat isn't in it nearly enough. However, the monkey really is the star of the show at times.

The fight scenes are as improbable as ever, but wonderfully choreographed - and that has to be the best film proposal/wedding I have ever seen.

There are some nice references to the Pirates game too, which we liked.

Well worth seeing on the big screen too.

pandop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2007, 11:59   #2
Colyngbourne
Administrator
is beyond help

Default Re: Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End

I suspect (having picked up on what happens) the end of this film would be the only satisfying bit for me. Everything seems to suggest there are too many plot strands, and villains, and endings - and weak-as-water characterisations from Will and Elizabeth, plus OTT ones from Depp etc.
Old 29th May 2007, 12:00   #3
BeccaK
Palimpsestarian
is a Palimpsester Extraordinaire

Encouraging news! I have to re-watch number 2 to get the plot straight in my head but I'm hoping to see this later in the week, so I'll report back then!
BeccaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2007, 13:53   #4
pandop
Palimpsestarian
eats too much cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colyngbourne View Post
I suspect (having picked up on what happens) the end of this film would be the only satisfying bit for me. Everything seems to suggest there are too many plot strands, and villains, and endings - and weak-as-water characterisations from Will and Elizabeth, plus OTT ones from Depp etc.
Willl and Elizabeth aren't the best things in it, no. But I didn't think there were too many plots/villains etc, for the length of film it wasn't too bad - and they all worked together well (for me anyway)

Old 29th May 2007, 14:17   #5
Daveybot
Senior Palimpsester
has the freedom of Palimp City

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandop View Post
Far, far better than Spiderman 3.
Intreaguing. Like Spiderman 3, I must say I predict a viewing of this at the cinema soon. I can't seem to avoid them.

I must say, however, that hearing it's better than Spiderman 3 only puts it up in the same lofty category as almost everything else in the world, including beans on toast and hoovering the living room.
Daveybot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2007, 21:21   #6
Robert Andle
Junior Palimpsestarian
is starting to settle in

I really liked the first film, kind of liked the second one, but got so bored with this one that I almost walked out of the cinema. It just... didn't work for me. I wasn't even that fond of Johnny Depp's performance this time round. He dominated the first two films and they felt empty when he wasn't on screen, but here he just seemed a little *too* quirky and over the top. Captain Barbossa was a lot more interesting. And yep, Keira and Orlando were as wooden as ever.
Robert Andle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2007, 10:01   #7
amner
Administrator
is beyond help

I heard yesterday that this is "on at every cinema in Europe". Can that possibly be true?

For the record, I thought the first one was pretty grim and can't see why it's become a franchise, let alone a successful one.
Old 31st May 2007, 12:54   #8
Noumenon
Senior Palimpsester

has the freedom of Palimp City

I freely admit that, despite my perpetual and loud feelings of disgust towards the "films" of Jerry Bruckheimer, I really liked POTC1. It has my all-time favourite body-hair joke (a subject close to my dermis) and although it contains two really weak actors in the kiddie-leads - and more typical piss-poor Bruckheimer level jokes about the comparative pains of oar-impacts and corsets - I went away a happy punter. I will still happily watch it again, I even bought it on DVD.

POTC2 was shit. Same jokes equals shit jokes. Same situations equals shit situations. Keira Knightly and... I genuinely can't remember his name! Legolas - They Just Can't Act. Peppering the supporting cast with talent is a bit like painting a turd gold and offering clothes pegs to everyone within scenting distance.

POTC3 I may watch, one day, when I feel like my bandwidth cost-to-usage ratio is growing inefficient. I'm not paying six or seven quid to watch sick squid charge the seven fee-seas (that was laboured) crappy poo-pants kaka I went boom boom bad dirty bottom.
Noumenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2007, 12:55   #9
pandop
Palimpsestarian
eats too much cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by amner View Post
For the record, I thought the first one was pretty grim and can't see why it's become a franchise, let alone a successful one.
1: Quite a lot of people did like it

2: Disney own and promote it, and already had the ride tie-in sorted (unlike the Harry Potter theme park, which won't be open until 2009) - although that didn't seem to help Haunted Mansion that much.

Old 31st May 2007, 16:07   #10
maxivida
Palimpsestarian
is a palimpsestin' fool!

Send a message via ICQ to maxivida Send a message via MSN to maxivida

Quote:
Originally Posted by amner View Post
I heard yesterday that this is "on at every cinema in Europe". Can that possibly be true?

No.

maxivida is offline   Reply With Quote