Palimpsest  

Go Back   Palimpsest > Reviews > Other Reviews

Old 6th Sep 2012, 17:06   #1661
ono no komachi
Senior Palimpsester
has the freedom of Palimp City

Default Re: Decent Telly

BBC drama ‘Good Cop’ continues tonight on BBC1 at 9 pm. The first episode last week almost had me switching off about a quarter of the way in, through squeamishness on my part, but I kept watching and was glad I did. It concerns police officer John Paul Rocksavage (which I think might win the BAFTA for Most Improbable Name in a Screenplay) (played by Warren Brown) whose working day/night starts out badly and gets steadily worse, reaching a kind of crescendo of moral ambiguity when he takes an irrevocable decision.

After my initial doubts, the turns that the story took were enough to keep me pretty well gripped. When something begs to be described as ‘gritty’ and ‘bleak’, it’s often the case that it’s hard to feel sympathy with the protagonist, but here there are possibly unsubtle but convincing enough indications of his good intentions and humanity for him to seem pretty likeable. One of these is an effective and affecting turn by Michael Angelis as his ailing father.

I think there are another four or five episodes to go, so having had my expectations raised by the first episode, I am eagerly awaiting exploration of further areas of moral greyness and ramifications of the events of episode 1. At this early stage the possibility of a neat and happy ending seems remote. A brief appearance of a cynical raised-eyebrow type investigator (Mark Womack) particularly promised interesting developments.
ono no komachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Sep 2012, 9:07   #1662
ono no komachi
Senior Palimpsester

Quote:
Originally Posted by ono no komachi View Post
When something begs to be described as ‘gritty’ and ‘bleak’, it’s often the case that it’s hard to feel sympathy with the protagonist, but here there are possibly unsubtle but convincing enough indications of his good intentions and humanity for him to seem pretty likeable. One of these is an effective and affecting turn by Michael Angelis as his ailing father.

I think there are another four or five episodes to go...
Much harder to retain the sympathy as of last night's episode... more hard-to-watch scenes but they have an undeniable impact.

Only four episodes overall as it turns out, so only two more to go. Personally I'd rather see a smaller number of longer series than all these bite-sized miniseries, but heigh-ho.
Old 7th Sep 2012, 12:48   #1663
amner
Administrator
is beyond help

I'll put this in the Decent Telly thread out of deference to Col. Did you know that Kylie is now (44) older than Anna Charleston was (43) when she first played Madge in Neighbours in 1986?

Scary.
Old 7th Sep 2012, 13:26   #1664
Colyngbourne
Administrator
is beyond help

Oh we are so old!
(Mr Col is now the age of my mother-in-law when I first met her.... )
Old 9th Sep 2012, 2:22   #1665
JunkMonkey
Senior Palimpsester
should be ashamed

I'm still only seven years younger than my father-in-law which has always confused me.

There Are Not Seven Words In My Signature
JunkMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Oct 2012, 17:24   #1666
ono no komachi
Senior Palimpsester

I’m never quite sure if Downton Abbey really belongs in the ‘TV Hell’ category, but I’m still hugely enjoying it. Episode 2 of the current series was, as is normal for DA, crammed to the brim with ridiculous plot points, one of the most jaw-dropping of which was our previously incredibly liberal-minded Lord Grantham suddenly opine: “There’s something of the Johnny Foreigner about Catholics, don’t you agree, Archbishop?”

In fact Lord Grantham may have been abducted and replaced by his evil twin, since he appears to have undergone a Neighboursesque personality change, also displayed in an uncharacteristically severe reaction to his unmarried daughter Edith being so brazen as to write a letter to a newspaper. Matthew, the heir apparent, meanwhile is all admiration, and having been rebuffed by his wife who brusquely informs him that her visit to the doctor was solely in connection with hay fever – all the while redecorating the nursery into a grown-up sitting room – who knows where this could lead? Did I see a smile of mutual understanding across the breakfast table? And it seems this newly evil Lord Grantham may have been cooking the books. Shocking.

Cousin Isobel is busy rescuing fallen women, or when not rescuing them, enabling them to sell their small child to its grandparents in a scene which I have to admit, had me suddenly experience a need to loudly blow my nose. Sniff sniff.

Tom the chauffeur, having swept Lady Sybil off her feet and married into the aristocracy, now may or may not be guilty of burning down an English family’s stately Irish holiday home. Which at least provides Maggie Smith with the opportunity to remark that since the house was hideous, this may be no bad thing.

The new footman, being rather pretty, has the female and at least one of the male staff all a-flutter (malevolent maid O’Brien has not failed to notice the male interest and is storing it up for later use as ammunition). But the arrival of new staff is not all good news since the new kitchen maid has caught the eye of the existing footman, just as the old kitchen maid was about to go all suffragist and declare her intentions towards him.

It’s all a bit bonkers and hilarious, and I love it. Even if I do have to record it whilst watching ‘Homeland’ and then watch it on a Monday sans adverts.
Old 9th Oct 2012, 17:25   #1667
ono no komachi
Senior Palimpsester

Oh, and hooray for the return of Merlin!
Old 10th Oct 2012, 10:18   #1668
amner
Administrator
is beyond help

Quote:
Originally Posted by ono no komachi View Post
Oh, and hooray for the return of Merlin!
Yes, and who would've thought anyone might say that when it first started? Delighted it's back, delighted it's starting to dovetail into the accepted stories a little more. Looks great, the leads are energetic and likable, and Gwen and Morgana have discovered a wonderbras. It's all good.
Old 10th Oct 2012, 14:52   #1669
Digger
Senior Palimpsester

Send a message via MSN to Digger

Anyone else enjoing Person of Interest? That's had me and better half happy while we wait for Homeland to come back. Suitably unrealistic in the concept (monitoring giant surveilance systems set up by the Gov. (Us of course) to catch crimes before they happen and prevent them from doing so) while being somewhat more pleasingly gritty and realistic in the various violent encounters and situations that occur (if anything like that can be said to be realistic at all!!)

Anyway, I'd recommend it to peeps... contrasts nicely to the Great British Bake Off...

Book list | Flickr
Digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Apr 2014, 12:49   #1670
ono no komachi
Senior Palimpsester

I have it from a generally reliable source that Hinterland, on BBC Four from Monday 28 April, should be worth a watch. Saw the trailer yesterday which seemed to back up the notion.