Palimpsest  

Go Back   Palimpsest > Reviews > Film Reviews

Old 21st Jun 2004, 11:57   #11
pandop
Palimpsestarian
eats too much cheese

The 'old married couple' comment is about as close as they get to a strong hint in that direction.

It is something I noticed, but as it isn't central to the plot I didn't really dwell on too much.

Hazel

pandop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Jun 2004, 18:50   #12
rick green
Palimpsestarian
could do better

It makes sense to me in that the whole world of Harry Potter & the Magicians can be seen as an attack on conventional, conservative values as represented by the Dursleys. In the first book, this is what struck me most--that Hogwarts & its denizens make up a sort of Bohemia, complete with the requisite disdain for the bourgeois "Muggles." That whole dynamic is still the most interesting byway of the series for me, second only to the whole Voldemort business.
Old 21st Jun 2004, 19:39   #13
Colyngbourne
Administrator
is beyond help

Yes, I think there is that aspect to it, but after several re-readings of the books I am becoming more dissatisfied with the Wizarding World, with its elitist ethos, dubious morality and dark and dictatorial political system. There's the servitude of the house elves still to be dealt with, let alone the categorisation of non-human creatures such as giants and werewolves, treated as sub-humans. The whole WW structure is corrupt and I have severe doubts as to the 'goodness' of Dumbledore.
Colyngbourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Jun 2004, 9:22   #14
amner
Administrator
is beyond help

I think you touched on that in your HP&tOotP book review, Col. What, after all, is the WW for? What do they contribute? When Harry and the others graduate what do they do then? Become teachers at Hogwarts, presumably.
Old 22nd Jun 2004, 9:44   #15
Colyngbourne
Administrator
is beyond help

JK has told us there is no tertiary education in the WW, so how those Professors at Hogwarts earned their credentials is unknown. There are limited career opportunities in banking at Gringott’s; wizarding admin at the Ministry of Magic (including a magical research facility); commerce (in Diagon Alley and Hogsmeade, the only two magical centres of trade); teaching (a dozen posts at Hogwarts, the only wizarding school in the UK, of which only the DADA job ever falls vacant); healthworkers at St. Mungo’s, and animal handling abroad (good ol’ Charlie).

There is no primary education system, no culture (other the Weird Sisters rock group) or theatre or arts or literature; there are no sports mentioned other than quidditch; no media (other than the Fortean Quibbler and romance magazine Witch Weekly, and the reactionary tabloid Daily Prophet). What a dire and deprived world to live in, even with travel by Floo and magical spells for cooking et al.
Old 22nd Jun 2004, 12:18   #16
pandop
Palimpsestarian
eats too much cheese

I don't care what JK says - I have a feeling some of those gaps will have to be filled!

Even if it is by fan fic

Hazel

Old 22nd Jun 2004, 12:24   #17
Colyngbourne
Administrator
is beyond help

I feel she will leave many things unsolved by the end of Book 7 - Polyjuice, <Mimbulus Mimbletonia, Neville, Dumbledore's suspicious omniscience - but she is quite happy for fanfic to act as oakum (to borrow from another fandom).
Old 22nd Jun 2004, 16:05   #18
pandop
Palimpsestarian
eats too much cheese

Yay - I like it when writers leave things to out imagination

Hazel

Old 22nd Jun 2004, 17:02   #19
Stace
Junior Palimpsestarian
is a Regular

This film was dark and brooding, much like the darkness that is manifest within his soul. After the delight and magic of discovering his wizarding heritage, we now find young Potter facing up to the realities and dangers of the oft grim and evil universe in which he lives. Many of the dark motifs were present, leading to the untimely emergence of Voldemort in the next film. Harry begins to understand the great weight that is upon him as he learns to cope with his adolescent changes and his manifested power. He will become among the greatest of wizards, but will he go mad as a result?
Old 23rd Jun 2004, 11:38   #20
pandop
Palimpsestarian
eats too much cheese

ooohhhhhh

Hazel