Palimpsest  

Go Back   Palimpsest > Reviews > Other Reviews

Tags
andrew scott, arthur conan doyle, benedict cumberbatch, mark gatiss, martin freeman, moriarty, sherlock holmes, steven moffat, una stubbs

Old 7th Jan 2014, 22:44   #31
Colyngbourne
Administrator
is beyond help

Default Re: Sherlock

I am torn by finding the self-referential stuff and lack of plot just terrible - considering they have had two years to sort these three episodes out - but actually liking some of the dialogue. I think there is too much overlap with Doctor Who'isms too. I *enjoyed* the episodes whilst recognising that really it isn't proper "Sherlock" and if Moffat doesn't pull something extraordinary next week, in terms of plot, that he will have lost his way in developing actors who play the parts really well by focusing too much on fandom and "loving his creation" too much.

I think the last episode will give us drama but not necessarily plot. The dialogue and filming is still mostly spot-on.
Old 8th Jan 2014, 13:20   #32
wshaw
Senior Palimpsester
could do better

Um. I liked them both.

I know the clever-clogs detection has been shoehorned into quick flashcard segments. And I know that the programme has turned into a comedy about Sherlock's un-21st century ability to emote.

But I thought they were smart and fast paced in a very original way.
Old 9th Jan 2014, 22:00   #33
Lucoid
Senior Palimpsester
could do better

I'm so disappointed with the first two episodes. The ball hasn't just been dropped, it's rolling away down a very bumpy hill and bouncing around all over the place.

I want to defend them. I realise it's all a matter of expectations. They were still good telly. I watched both all the way through. I enjoyed myself. I laughed. I found moments to delight in. But I wasn't gripped. This wasn't Sherlock, not really. There was too much smiling. Too many mini-stories.

But. Can I have seen a glimmer of hope in the closing scene of the second episode? The sudden change of atmosphere as Sherlock left the party, alone, collar turned up, hinted at a possible return to form in the remaining episode. I'm trying not to get my hopes up too much.
Old 18th Jan 2014, 10:52   #34
Lucoid
Senior Palimpsester
could do better

Relief! Episode 3 was a winner, which is great news as the next two series have already been sketched out (http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2014-...-steven-moffat). I'm now itching to go back to the beginning and watch all nine Sherlocks over again, but we've still got the last series of Misfits to finish, the whole of series three of a Dexter to watch, and Christmas box sets of The Sopranos and Breaking Bad to open.
Old 18th Jan 2014, 12:31   #35
wshaw
Senior Palimpsester
could do better

... At first, when you saw Magnussen, apparently wearing his Google glasses, I thought this was very clever. 19th Century Sherlock is about to be outpaced by the computing age, so I was disappointed that particular bit didn't work out.

That said, I have really enjoyed all three. As you said, Lucoid, they were all good telly. I think there's probably a fault line between Sherlock Holmes fans and non-fans. I've never enjoyed the original Sherlock Holmes stories, but I've enjoyed the playfulness of these without feeling that something great was being stamped on.

And the playfulness worked for me through all three. Unlike in Dr Who, where it's just become an excuse not to have to think very hard about being consistent.
Old 18th Jan 2014, 12:56   #36
Noumenon
Senior Palimpsester

has the freedom of Palimp City

I liked it too. Being brief.
Noumenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jan 2014, 20:20   #37
Colyngbourne
Administrator
is beyond help

I was happier with Episode 3, and quite liked the Magnusson plot - that the "vault" was non-physical, leaving Sherlock no option against a "Murdoch-style" villain other than physical elimination was probably a step too far for old-school Holmes' fans: should Sherlock ever commit murder? I was okay with it, but worry that there is too much of an edge of sentimentality driving the plots.

Dialogue was as good as the other episodes. I hope the real Moriarty isn't back - or that he proves to be "the other one" mentioned by Mycroft.
Old 24th Jan 2014, 11:56   #38
Stewart
Once known as Blixa
takes it to extremes

Send a message via MSN to Stewart

Maybe there will be an epsidode where Steven Moffat goes to 221b Baker Street with a case about missing plots for Sherlock to consider.
Old 19th Jul 2014, 17:30   #39
Lucoid
Senior Palimpsester
could do better

Happy birthday Benedict Cumberbatch!
Old 26th Jul 2014, 9:54   #40
Lucoid
Senior Palimpsester
could do better

And happy anniversary to the BBC's Sherlock, first broadcast four years ago yesterday.