Palimpsest  

Go Back   Palimpsest > Reviews > Film Reviews

Old 24th Mar 2009, 13:14   #1
Adr.
Palimpsestarian
deserves a medal

Default Let the Right One In

It might only be March but I'd be very surprised (and delighted) if I see another film this year that's as good as the Swedish movie, Let the Right One In. It's nominally a vampire film but there's oh-so-much more going on. It tells the story of the burgeoning relationship between two 12 year olds - Oskar and Eli. Both of them are outsiders. Oskar lives alone with his mother in a Stockholm appartment block and is being bullied at school Eli has just moved in next door and just happens to be a vampire. This is Twilight with teeth.

The relationship between Eli and Oskar is handled beautifully and the two child actors are quite superb. The film is beautifully shot and played straight down the line. If you've ever wondered what happens a vampire when she enters a house to which she hasn't been invited, then look no further.

There are some scenes of graphic violence and one long held underwater shot that simply astounds. All in all this is a mesmerising film not least because it is also a tender love story. The ending will have you arguing for days. You could look upon it as curiously uplifting or you might well think that it is haunting and tragic. I suspect that this is a film that will repay repeated viewings and I intend to watch it again as soon as I can.

Everything about this film is right: the tone, the acting, the music, the directing. It has already been optioned by Hollywood so you should see the original before they make a mess of it.

Brilliant, unsettling and very moving. I think it's a masterpiece.

Old 24th Mar 2009, 13:22   #2
amner
Administrator
is beyond help

Default Re: Let the Right One In

This was on at the Cambridge Film Festival last July and I had tickets for it, but didn't go.

Bumholes.

I was intrigued by the image:

used to promote it, but then pffffffft

I'll try and catch up with it, thanks for the heads up, Adr.
Old 24th Mar 2009, 13:23   #3
fanshawe
Palimpsestarian
is a palimpsestin' fool!

I saw this at an outdoor film festival before christmas and liked it a lot. Didn't know the English name for it until now, so cheers.

I know what you mean about the 'tone' - it's a real mood piece.

fanshawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Mar 2009, 13:28   #4
Adr.
Palimpsestarian
deserves a medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by amner View Post
I'll try and catch up with it, thanks for the heads up, Adr.
It's available on DVD in the US but I think it opens in cinemas in the UK next month.
Old 25th Mar 2009, 9:42   #5
beer good
Palimpsestarian
could do better

I saw this on the opening weekend over here back in autumn, and yes, it really is a beautifully unsettling film. It's just out on DVD and I'm going to have to rewatch it; at the time I was a little disappointed by some of the exclusions from the book (the screenplay was written by the author, so probably for good reason), but it really does a great job of mixing the realism of 1980s high-rise suburbia with the fantastical - letting the horror bubble up from underneath in a world where everyone is an outsider, not just the protagonist or the supposed monster. And it owes far more to movies like Chronos or even A Tale of Two Sisters than it does to Twilight and its ilk, IMO; this story is aware of the creepiness of its core characters, and captures it perfectly - given the very few and very unsuccessful attempts at making Swedish horror movies before, I was very pleasantly (well, as pleasant as this gets) surprised by how note-perfect this is, both in terms of acting, directing (taking its time, letting the camera do a lot of the work) and how, well, beautiful it looks.

Goodreads (2013 and older)
Movies I've seen
beer good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Mar 2009, 10:10   #6
Colyngbourne
Administrator
is beyond help

The UK subtitles were apparently re-done for the American DVD, with an inferior product at the end of it, apparently; as compared here
Old 26th Mar 2009, 12:18   #7
bill
Senior Palimpsester
suckles at the teat of the Palim-God

Col, that's been a big (relatively speaking) controversy. The US fans who saw it in the theater (I didn't) are outraged by the subtitles used on the DVD, and the company is going to re-release the DVD (don't know when) with the original subtitles back in.
Old 15th Apr 2009, 22:58   #8
amner
Administrator
is beyond help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adr. View Post
Everything about this film is right: the tone, the acting, the music, the directing.
...and the sound.

Putting a review together now, but the sound, man, the sound. A but I need to think about the whole thing...
Old 16th Apr 2009, 0:09   #9
Noumenon
Senior Palimpsester

has the freedom of Palimp City

Speaking of US-based scandals, this film has already been picked up for a remake. I'm looking forward to the original myself, it's up at the top of my wish list.
Noumenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Apr 2009, 7:19   #10
Adr.
Palimpsestarian
deserves a medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by amner View Post
...and the sound.

Putting a review together now, but the sound, man, the sound. A but I need to think about the whole thing...
And, yes, the sound. I await your review with anticipation and am delighted that you agreed with my rating.