Palimpsest  

Go Back   Palimpsest > User Forums > General Chat

Old 2nd Jun 2005, 16:00   #1
Maggie
Palimpsestarian
is a palimpsestin' fool!

Default Rereads........Which book would you reread next ?

Which book would you reread next if you didn't have so many books on the stack waiting to be read ?

Lucoid mentioned this and I thought would be a good question. I started going through ALL of the books I've accumulated because "someday" I am going to read them again and I have the same problem I have picking a new one. There I so many I want to reread I don't know where to start.

I did manage to narrow it down to two:

Gospel Hour by T.R. Pearson (because I laughed through the whole thing) and.........

A Son of the Circus by John Irving (because of all of his novels I liked this one the least and I want to see what I was missing or if I still feel the same way)

Oscar Wilde, 1854-1900

http://www.flickr.com/photos/79565255@N00/
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Jun 2005, 16:06   #2
John Self
Administrator
suffers from smallness of vision

I think about this a lot, Maggie. I tried to start a thread similar to this one before, here, but it fizzled out, so this is a good place to restart.

To the ones I listed in that other thread, I would add that I want to re-read Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco (to prove to myself that he was good, once upon a time, having disappointed me with his last two books); A Son of the Circus also, because I liked it and it's one of the Irvings-I-liked that I haven't re-read! Also there are other books I want to finish that I never managed to first time round, like Flann O'Brien's At Swim-Two-Birds.

Really, the list is endless!
Old 2nd Jun 2005, 17:14   #3
Jerkass
Palimpsestarian
eats too much cheese

Bleak House without a doubt
Old 3rd Jun 2005, 8:30   #4
kumquat
Palimpsestarian
is a palimpsestin' fool!

Send a message via MSN to kumquat

the only time i have ever reread a book was to read a good one to my son. its something i never do but if forced i would reread Anna Karenina.
Old 3rd Jun 2005, 10:39   #5
amner
Administrator
is beyond help

I'm with the Jerkmeister, BH.
Old 3rd Jun 2005, 10:51   #6
John Self
Administrator

What, never, kumquat? Why do you keep all those books then??
Old 3rd Jun 2005, 11:08   #7
HP
Senior Palimpsester
suckles at the teat of the Palim-God

Well, I don't know if kumquat feels the same, but I, too, seldom re-read anything because of an ever-present sense of so many books, so little time. Always, the feeling there are new treasures to be discovered. Of course, as I'm fast finding out, all that glisters is not gold, and time is probably better invested in old favourites with guaranteed rewards. To date the only books I have - or would like to - re-read are:

Rabbit Run - Updike
Lolita - Nabokov
Atonement - McEwan
The Secret History - Tartt
Any Human Heart - Boyd
The Night Manager - or indeed anything by Le Carré
The Dubliners - Joyce

This lot is straight off the top of my head, and no doubt I'll remember a few other special reads the moment I've zapped this up - but it'll do for now.

No it bloody won't! Must need my noodle examining. How on earth could I leave out:

Revolutionary Road, Cold Spring Harbour, Collected Short Stores- all by the wonderful, fabulous ... fanfare ... drumroll .... ta-ra ... ta-ra .....maestro, if you please ...... Richard Yates!
HP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Jun 2005, 12:12   #8
jim
Palimpsestarian
worries mother

I also hardly ever re-read books and I rarely watch films more than once other than with my kids. In fact I don't think I've ever actually bought a DVD or video other than children's ones. It seems to me that there is too much I haven't read to spend time re-reading although I can see the logic in the counter argument that a good novel is a work of art and after all you wouldn't listen to a piece of music or look at a painting just once.

Books that I have re-read are Wuthering Heights (three times and I am now satisfied that it is just as crap as I thought it was the first time), The Catcher in the Rye, and a couple of Graham Greens which I first read when I was very young. I can't think of anything which I would especially want to re-read at the moment. Maybe Lolita as there has been quite a lot of discussion here about it and Atonement just to assure myself that Mr Jerkass is talking out of his hat.
jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Jun 2005, 13:48   #9
Lucoid
Senior Palimpsester
could do better

I also have that feeling that time spent re-reading a book is time I'm not discovering a new one, but I do think there are many books that deserve revisiting, usually because they're fantastic but also if we didn't give them our full attention the first time round. Other than The Bell Jar (as mentioned in the life-changing books thread) I'd like to re-read most of the books from my uni course, as they're clogging up my bookcase and I don't want to give them away before giving them another go, and I can't remember what half of them were about, I read them so quickly. I keep all books I buy just in case I ever want to revisit them (unless they're shit of course), and also because they look so pretty all lined up together (and make my house look as though an intellectual must live there).
Old 3rd Jun 2005, 13:52   #10
John Self
Administrator

Interesting to see how many people don't re-read. I understand the point that there are so many books to read that it's hard to justify revisiting, but at the same time I generally take the view that a book is only worth reading if it's worth re-reading - and also that if it's any sort of worthwhile literary endeavour at all, it'll need re-reading to get the most out of it. Of course I may be swung by the fact that I'm fortunate enough to have the time to get through books quite quickly, so even if it is time lost to reading something new, it's only a few days lost or a week at most.