Palimpsest  

Go Back   Palimpsest > Palimpsest Forums > All About Palimpsest

Old 28th Aug 2008, 15:22   #1
Wavid
Administrator
befriends strangers

Send a message via AIM to Wavid Send a message via MSN to Wavid Send a message via Yahoo to Wavid Send a message via Skype™ to Wavid
Default Palimp 3.0

Hello everyone. I'm starting to put together plans for making some changes to the Palimp which will effect everyone a little bit, and some people a bit more. The reason for changing things are:
  • the web hosting plan the Palimp is currently on isn't terribly cost effective for how the site has developed. I can get better service cheaper elsewhere
  • the version of the forum software we are running is hideously out of date and needs upgrading
  • Behind the scenes, various bits of organisation of the forum have become hopelessly muddled and need sorting out
While I am at it, I want to make things as good as possible. Here's how I see the new arrangements working (some of this might get a bit techie for some folk):

1) the forum
- will stay as it is, and where it is (ie /forum/) running the latest version of vbulletin. This should be the easy bit, but am a little antsy about transferring the content of the (frankly huuuuge) database without losing anything. Will make copious backups. I'll revisit and simplify the permissions while I am at it.

2) homepage - will run on WordPress. There are various blogs installed in the Palimpspace and I want to move them into one place, where they are still used. The idea is to install WordPressMU (the version used by wordpress.com ie many blogs on one site) so that any member can have myblog.palimpsest.org.uk etc if they want it. The homepage will then have three main columns, one aggregating stuff from the Palimp-hosted blogs, another aggregating other stuff like book news from the papers etc and maybe the Palimp flickr group, and another with the latest stuff from the forum on it.

3) email etc - will all be transferred to gmail, so if you have an @palimpsest.org.uk email address, you access it using a gmail-like interface. Forwarding can still be set up easily. As well as gmail, we will also have access to Google sites, a cool collaborative tool a bit like wikis but better. I envisage the admin dudes using a Google site for what now happens in the admin forum, for example. Anyone with an @palimp email address will be able to create similar space for themselves and people they invite in. As we have have hundreds of these accounts for free, I don't see us charging for them, just making them available to people if they want one.

So what does this mean for Palimpeople?

The work to do this will probably happen in the next month or so. You will get plenty of warning of the exact dates, so don't worry. I can see the forum being closed for maybe a week at the maximum, which we have all lived with before. This should be all the disruption and inconvenience you will suffer. Unless...
  • If you have a Palimpsest-hosted blog. If you, and want to keep it, please get in touch with me (PM, reply here or db@davepress.net) and I will make sure the content is backed up and transferred to the new WordPress setup here.
  • If you have a Palimpsest email account. All your email currently stored on the server WILL be deleted. If you have downloaded it to Outlook or Thunderbird (or Pine, if you are amarie) then it will be safe. Otherwise, save any emails you want to keep. Also your email might not work for a day or two whilst the work is being done, if you use Palimpmail regularly, then sorry for the inconvenience. Otherwise, you probably won't notice
  • If you are particularly fond of your avatar. Save it somewhere! They should transfer across ok, but just in case, make sure you save a copy of it on your computer.
One other thing that everyone can do is to have a clear out of your PM boxes to reduce down the size of the Palimp database a bit. Every little helps.

Any thoughts, suggestions, questions etc, ask away!

Last edited by Wavid; 28th Aug 2008 at 15:40.
Wavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Aug 2008, 15:28   #2
Stewart
Once known as Blixa
takes it to extremes

Send a message via MSN to Stewart
Default Re: Palimp 3.0

It doesn't need saying, but I will; if you need any help, let me know. I've been using the latest version of vBulletin elsewhere and am fully versed on the ins and outs and outer ins.
Old 28th Aug 2008, 15:37   #3
Wavid
Administrator
befriends strangers

Send a message via AIM to Wavid Send a message via MSN to Wavid Send a message via Yahoo to Wavid Send a message via Skype™ to Wavid

Cool, thanks Stewpot. No doubt I will be calling on your services at some point: have just renewed my licence for the new version of VB.

Just got in contact with the people who will be hosting Palimp in the future, it sounds like I can develop it under a separate, temporary domain so I know it all works before switching the palimpsest.org.uk domain to show the new site.
Old 28th Aug 2008, 15:44   #4
John Self
Administrator
suffers from smallness of vision

Look, forget all this technical stuff, chum. All we want to know is: will the Palimpsest Corner Shop still be available?

I was very pleased with the quality of my hoodie but I'm looking for a little seasonal update.
Old 28th Aug 2008, 15:45   #5
Wavid
Administrator
befriends strangers

Seriously? Did you get one? I can't help but feel you might be taking the piss...
Old 28th Aug 2008, 15:45   #6
John Self
Administrator
suffers from smallness of vision

"Yes."
Old 28th Aug 2008, 15:50   #7
Wavid
Administrator
befriends strangers

Excellent.

Something else for folk to think about: the forums themselves. I and the other admin are always keen to keep the overall number of forums down - I think having lots of them looks ugly and stoopid. Are there any opportunities for culling some in the new Palimp?

Do we really need a separate forum for Flickring, or is photography enough of a common interest to keep it going?

What about the Film Group?

Any others you hate? Or have you seen something else that another forum does that is cool that you'd like to see here?
Old 28th Aug 2008, 15:51   #8
amner
Administrator
is beyond help

Film Group to go, I say.
Old 28th Aug 2008, 15:54   #9
ono no komachi
Senior Palimpsester
has the freedom of Palimp City

I second the binning of the Film Group. Somehow it seems harder to get around to watching a specific film than to embark on a new book.
ono no komachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Aug 2008, 15:55   #10
Wavid
Administrator
befriends strangers

Thanks amner & ono. I doubt many would miss it.

Another thing to be incorporated into Palimp 3.0 will be Bookzilla, which will become Palimpsest Search or something, and will be on the homepage.