Palimpsest  

Go Back   Palimpsest > Palimpsest Forums > All About Palimpsest > Doing Stuff

Old 1st Feb 2007, 15:43   #11
amner
Administrator
is beyond help

Default Re: Martin Amis

I can just say it all again if you wish? I believe it covers everything I needed to say.
Old 1st Feb 2007, 15:48   #12
gil
Senior Palimpsester
has the freedom of Palimp City

I think you ought to consider your position in this. An admin is surely expected to show a degree of maturity in his posts, and, whether I agree with JS or not, he has managed that. Frankly, Palimpsest has more to lose than to gain by jack-booted admin behaviour. Me, for example.
gil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Feb 2007, 16:10   #13
gil
Senior Palimpsester

And, by the way, this is inappropriate posting for this forum. If someone wants to transplant the debate to another place, I'd welcome that.

But if someone plans to delete this important exchange altogether, then I think they will be playing with fire. There have been a couple of unsettling incidents lately: viz. Notty and The Secret Topics, some of which exchanges have been expunged from the record, and it's just not cricket, chaps.
Old 1st Feb 2007, 16:13   #14
John Self
Administrator
suffers from smallness of vision

Time out, folks.

There's no need for this sort of squabbling. In the words of our esteemed Prime Minister, you're playing right into the terrorists' hands.
Old 1st Feb 2007, 19:44   #15
Wavid
Administrator
befriends strangers

Send a message via AIM to Wavid Send a message via MSN to Wavid Send a message via Yahoo to Wavid Send a message via Skype™ to Wavid
Default Re: The Role of Admins

I've moved this debate somewhere new. You will all no doubt note that John's original post to HC remains in the Amis thread.

John, amner and Col do an admirable job of maintaining Palimpsest, often in my absence - for example during the working day when I am unable to access it. I rely on them utterly to do this for me, and if they didn't then I doubt very much that the Palimp would exist in the form that it does, if at all.

Everyone therefore needs to have some respect for the decisions they make. By all means gently question them and me now and again, but all out assault isn't really very nice, especially when you consider the time that these guys are giving up to try and make this a nice place to hang out.

Do we as a group get every decision right, every time? No, of course not. I'll put my hands up here and say that the banning of NottyImp is something I regret and would like to put right at some point. But I believe that the occasional bit of heavy handedness is preferable to losing some of what makes the Palimp special - which I think is something that everyone can agree with, especially given the debates and troubles we have had in the last few months.

There is nothing I, amner, John or Col would like more than for us not to have to do any modding of posts at all. Hopefully, moving forward, this will become the case once again. I also think there are very few sites out there who hold the experienced members in the high regard that Palimpsest does. You guys made this community, and we are working hard to keep it the way we all like it. Anyone can drop any of us a PM or an email if you have a worry about something - it really needn't spill over like this. After all, I'd like to think we were all friends as much as anything.
Old 2nd Feb 2007, 0:19   #16
gil
Senior Palimpsester

Ok. I'm sure it isn't easy being a moderator, because you can't get it right all the time. I'm happy to back off, but it's my experience that forums like this run smoothest with a very light hand at the tiller.

And can I emphasize that there was nothing personal in anything I posted, and I am fond of both JS and amner.
Old 2nd Feb 2007, 13:45   #17
homo chiroptera

Blimey.

Quite a wasp's nest I disturbed there. For my part, I considered my post distinctly unconfrontational, merely thought provoking. And I think I displayed much less arrogance than some other members.

If this (fairly tame) standard of debate is enough to have rules (about 'being an arsehole?') evoked, maybe Palimpsest isn't the place for educated free-thinkers I took it to be on first impressions.

Be seeing you,

HC
Old 2nd Feb 2007, 14:08   #18
amner
Administrator
is beyond help

Well, that's a relief.
Old 2nd Feb 2007, 14:44   #19
homo chiroptera

Now who's being supercilious?

I refer you to rule 8 on posting.

For the record I was not a 'bogus member' or a troll. Just someone who doesn't like Martin Amis, and enjoys discussing things - sometimes in a humourous way.

I feel that you, in particular, Amner have gone out of your way to be aggressive with me. You have reacted with humourless ignorance and snide sarcasm to everything I've posted. I wonder why this is?

Anyway, I have to put up with enough idiots at work, I don't need more in my spare time.
Old 2nd Feb 2007, 14:47   #20
wshaw
Senior Palimpsester
could do better

Homo C. Close the door behind you quietly. Speaking as an un-educated non-free thinker, I'd quit while the going's... well, not exactly good, but...