Palimpsest  

Go Back   Palimpsest > User Forums > General Chat

View Poll Results: Who should be the 2005 Palimpian of the Year?
John Self 7 21.88%
R.C. 7 21.88%
Maxivida 4 12.50%
Blixa 4 12.50%
HoneyPotts 10 31.25%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2nd Dec 2005, 11:19   #1
Wavid
Administrator
befriends strangers

Send a message via AIM to Wavid Send a message via MSN to Wavid Send a message via Yahoo to Wavid Send a message via Skype™ to Wavid
Default 2005 Palimpian of the Year

We are approaching the end of 2005, and I thought it only appropriate that we mark Palimpsest's third Christmas with an award, for the Palimpian of the Year!

I have drawn up a shortlist of potential Palimpians, each with a jolly good reason. You have until 16 December to make your choice, at which point the award will be made! How exciting.

So, without further ado, here are the nominations:

John Self for reading more books than is healthy;

R.C. for services to trolling;

Maxivida for most surprising come-back;

Blixa for the swiftest accumulation of posts ever;

HoneyPotts for most blatent deleting of an incriminating post (in the things that are bad for you... thread).

So, get your votes in over the next two week to influence the vote on who will be Palimpian of the Year!
Old 2nd Dec 2005, 12:12   #2
John Self
Administrator
suffers from smallness of vision

Default Re: 2005 Palimpian of the Year

How ridiculous (but nice). What's the prize, before I advise Maydell Boothby and Dunkan Cutter on how to cast their votes??
Old 2nd Dec 2005, 12:13   #3
Wavid
Administrator
befriends strangers

Send a message via AIM to Wavid Send a message via MSN to Wavid Send a message via Yahoo to Wavid Send a message via Skype™ to Wavid

It's a secret. Which means....

...I haven't decided yet.
Old 2nd Dec 2005, 13:50   #4
maxivida
Palimpsestarian
is a palimpsestin' fool!

Send a message via ICQ to maxivida Send a message via MSN to maxivida

Wow - I'm honoured to be nominated, although I haven't really posted all that much (but much more than in the previous couple of years ). Shall we comment on the person we voted for and give our reasons, or is this to remain anonymous?

maxivida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Dec 2005, 14:09   #5
Wavid
Administrator
befriends strangers

You may do as you wish, Max! No pressure for people to reveal votes or reasons. After all, we don't want this to become the Palimp Brown-Nosing Forum!

Yes, your nomination was largely down to your remarkable reappearance after the kicking those Wuthering Heights hating no-marks gave you all those years ago; rather than the quality or quantity of your contributions to the site!

The winner will get an Amazon voucher (I won't commit myself to a value...) and a special badge to be displayed under your avatar until next year's competition.

Oh, and anyone caught using alter-egos to vote for themselves will be publicly humiliated in some appalling way.
Old 2nd Dec 2005, 14:43   #6
Wavid
Administrator
befriends strangers

Here is the winner's special badge!

Bet all you nominees are damp with excitement now!
Old 2nd Dec 2005, 15:25   #7
RC

Ridiculous is right. At the very least you might have begun by calling for nominations. I am astonished, frankly, that you don't see anything wrong with naming all the candidates yourself, adding their ostensible claim to fame, and then expecting the group to legitimize that (and endorse the tag) by casting votes to elect one, as if it were a people's choice. You studied politics?

Besides, I resent the "services to trolling". At first I was perplexed. Trolling, in these parts, is fishing by dragging a line behind a moving boat. It seemed a bit tenuous, but the best explanation I could come up with was that you were referring to my (perhaps too-frequent?) importing of articles/extracts (the 'catch') from my "trolling" of news and other sites. Then it occurred to me to google 'trolling', which set me straight.

Now, I don't deny that from time to time I throw in a monkey wrench, but some of my true opinions are what some people would call extreme. In my view, that's because they are hampered in their thinking by conventions and cowardice, they choose among the things which are said most often, that which is most comfortable to believe. I try to cut through the clutter. You are trying, I suppose, to trivialize it by calling it "trolling". I've been around a lot longer than you, Wavey. Don't be smirking my way.

Oh, and I withdraw my name from the competition.
Old 2nd Dec 2005, 15:48   #8
maxivida
Palimpsestarian
is a palimpsestin' fool!

Send a message via ICQ to maxivida Send a message via MSN to maxivida

Oh dear...

maxivida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Dec 2005, 15:49   #9
HP
Senior Palimpsester
suckles at the teat of the Palim-God

Oooh 'eck ......
HP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Dec 2005, 15:51   #10
Wavid
Administrator
befriends strangers

Well quite. Looks like the Fun Police have arrived in town again. I'm sure everyone else is well aware of the spirit in which this was intended, so we will carry on regardless.

What shall we say, all votes for RC count double?