Palimpsest  

Go Back   Palimpsest > User Forums > General Chat

Old 3rd Dec 2004, 11:14   #1
Wavid
Administrator
befriends strangers

Send a message via AIM to Wavid Send a message via MSN to Wavid Send a message via Yahoo to Wavid Send a message via Skype™ to Wavid
Default Overseas Palimpeople and General Rambling

Quote:
Originally Posted by on another thread, __R.C.__
Yes, do have a thought for your overseas readers. Over on the TV thread I'm all at sea.
It used to be the case that Palimpsest was a predominantly Uk-centric site. However, the recent new members all seem to be coming from North America. You are, of course, all as welcome as anybody else. It will have to be the case that some of the stuff discussed, like the appalling standard of TV in the UK, will make little or no sense to Palimpcitizens abroad. Although, I'd wager that crap telly is hardly a problem unique to Britain...

Mind you, the Politics thread has been dominated for months by Northern American issues - quite rightly given the events of this year, and their influence - so maybe it all balances itself out. In fact, Jerkass' economics monographs probably cancel out all the other threads on the site on their own...

If anyone spots anything they don't understand, or flys over your head, just shout - I'm sure someone will be all too happy to put you in the know.

The main thing is of course that everyone continues to rub along together as well always have done - and I'm glad that this seems to be continuing, especially even on some of the more controversial topics! I think one of the real great things about the way the site has developed is the politeness with which most conversations are conducted, and the ability of every member to separate the issue being discussed from the palimpeople discussing it - meaning that things never get personal or nasty.

I sometimes think that one of the things that holds Palimpset back in recruting terms is the unwillingness of people to pass on the site to people they know in real life - I know I am very choosy about who I mention it too. That's fine though - it means that at least there is one place we can talk about things however we want to, without worrying what other people are thinking.

Anyway, this has turned into a bit of a ramble, so sorry about that.
Wavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Dec 2004, 11:49   #2
NottyImp
the aging anarchist
could do better

Have you been at the port again, wavid? I predict we Brits may well be in a minority at some point in palimpsest's history.
Old 3rd Dec 2004, 12:15   #3
RC

Wavid
On behalf of myself alone I thank you for your Christian willingness to make room for colonials in your charmed circle - even if my request which you quoted was made tongue in cheek as I have no interest in tv personalities on either side of the pond, and I accept the consequence, which is that I'll be at sea in a lot of conversations wherever I go.
I am a bit surprised that you're surprised that everyone is so polite. When in Rome...., after all.
As to controversy, I think it's kind of cool that in spite of such a radical divide here over religion, on political questions everyone seems to be on the side of the angels.
I certainly wouldn't call just anyone over, in fact I have told only one person about this place and she knows to wipe her shoes at the door, eh?

J/a - sorry, we know the pointing finger errs.
Old 3rd Dec 2004, 16:39   #4
Digger
Senior Palimpsester
has the freedom of Palimp City

Send a message via MSN to Digger

Rambling is good! And I like the international flavour, as a UK/US dual national I get bits of both although really I'm an English lass at heart.

My blatant Palimping during office hours, and the fact that my desk is right in the middle of an open plan office ensures that people have asked me about it, only Young Old Lady has joined in so far, I think. I don't think the IT boys are not onto me yet, sneeky sneeky sneeky!

As far as I'm concerned it's great to have people who talk about more than archaeology and who match my rapacious reading rate. In my immediate circle of friends I outstrip everyone on the reading front, and no-one else wants to talk about books, sigh.

Palimpsest is great! :D

Book list | Flickr
Digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Dec 2004, 16:52   #5
Maggie
Palimpsestarian
is a palimpsestin' fool!

NottyImp,

Oh No !! Another North American take over
I have told quite a few people about how cool the site is but I have only given the address to one person, who I think had it from somewhere else anyway.

I haven't been here all that long and must give due respect to those who have.

And Wavid,
As for all the stuff that goes over my head.........people have advised me that this seems to happen to me. Nothing new ! And these are friends I have HERE.

Oscar Wilde, 1854-1900

http://www.flickr.com/photos/79565255@N00/
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Dec 2004, 16:57   #6
NottyImp
the aging anarchist
could do better

It's your manifest destiny, Maggie. :wink:
Old 3rd Dec 2004, 17:47   #7
Jerkass
Palimpsestarian
eats too much cheese

The recent influx of North American members means that I don't spend so much of the Palimpday being lonely. Thanks, guys.
Old 3rd Dec 2004, 18:02   #8
NottyImp
the aging anarchist
could do better

Since this is a rambling thread...

What a lively day it's been in palimp-world. All very entertaining and helped pass my otherwise rather dull afternoon. I hope you all have peaceful weekends, I'm now off to get a Chinese take-away for tea.
Old 3rd Dec 2004, 18:05   #9
Digger
Senior Palimpsester
has the freedom of Palimp City

Send a message via MSN to Digger

I second that NottyImp. Have done very little work today, but have enjoyed posting - I havn't been around much lately.

Lovely weekends to all. :D

Book list | Flickr
Digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Dec 2004, 18:57   #10
RC

J/a - I believe everyone's out of the building, we've got the place to ourselves. We should fix something up for Monday morning. Any ideas?

Ah, he's gone, too late.