Go Back   Palimpsest > Palimpsest Groups > The Book Group Discussions

Old 25th Apr 2008, 17:57   #61
HP
Senior Palimpsester
suckles at the teat of the Palim-God

Default Re: Book 39: I AM MARY DUNNE by Brian Moore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oryx View Post
Oh, and both of us hate the home repair stuff and so we hire others for this.
Ha! Yes, it's not our idea of fun, either. And I guess it's wrong of me to gaily assume that most men do those sort of heavy-duty DIY jobs when the need arises, just because Mr P does.

But I think it might well be a generational thing too. Both Mr P and I come from parents who believed (through financial necessity as much as anything) in the 'Mend and Make Do' principle. So when we met and married and got a house together, and were pretty skint as a result, we were already well-tutored in sorting practical DIY problems out for ourselves. The GALMI approach to house maintenance (Get A Little Man In) was certainly out of the question. But our friends were also of that generation so we all fended for ourselves and if the skills weren't already there, well, The Readers Digest of DYI was ever on standby as the Bible of running household repairs.

And that attitude that 'if you can do it yourself and for a fraction of the cost of the GALMI solution, then what's stopping you,' well it becomes a habit. So it's only been in the last few years that we've finally succumbed to shelling out for that Little Man - and then only on jobs we absolutely loathe. The good news is that between us we can turn our hand to most things which has saved us a packet over the years and given a certain degree of satisfaction, to boot. But under no bloody circumstances, am I ever spending another weekend, shovelling sodden, slimy cowshit into bags and lugging those bags back to a clay-impacted garden in the pouring pissy rain when I can get out the plastic and arrange a commercial professional dump at the end of the drive! (Though I'd still grab a fork and barrow and do the spreading myself)
HP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Apr 2008, 18:33   #62
Oryx
Palimpsestarian
eats too much cheese

Both Mr O and I grew up in apartments, so having a house and taking care of it were mysteries to both of us. We did try early on, we were pretty broke ourselves for a number of year, but usually ended up with more damage than we started with!

Gardening is another matter. We both still do all of our own. I really enjoy it-can't say the same for Mr O but he's a bit of a hair shirt type anyway and so if he can do something, he will.
Old 25th Apr 2008, 19:55   #63
Monika
Junior Palimpsestarian
is starting to settle in

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP View Post
The GALMI approach to house maintenance (Get A Little Man In) was certainly out of the question.
HP, I love the expression and will start using it, too. It's so wonderfully not politically correct and GALMI is just so very impressive an acronym to use. Lovely. I love the English language!
Monika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Apr 2008, 20:43   #64
HP
Senior Palimpsester
suckles at the teat of the Palim-God

GALMI away, Monika ... and insist he wipe his feet before you let him in.

(Sorry, having a Margot moment there ... The Good Life, anyone?)
HP is offline   Reply With Quote