Palimpsest  

Go Back   Palimpsest > Reviews > Other Reviews

View Poll Results: Who is your favourite Doctor?
William Hartnell 1 2.22%
Patrick Troughton 2 4.44%
Jon Pertwee 4 8.89%
Tom Baker 15 33.33%
Peter Davison 8 17.78%
Colin Baker 0 0%
Sylvester McCoy 1 2.22%
Paul McGann 0 0%
Christopher Eccleston 8 17.78%
David Tennant 6 13.33%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 30th Sep 2004, 12:44   #1
Colyngbourne
Administrator
is beyond help

Default Doctor Who

I agree with your opinions on ST:TNG, and would probably stick DS9 in there as well (until it lost its reason in the final eps of the last season). Likewise, Dr. Who - the wooden actors and scenery didn't stop it being a cheap and happy, vastly entertaining programme for a couple of decades until John Nathan-Turner got his mitts on it. There's nothing so simple and seemingly effortless as that, as well as basic story-telling entertainment around these days.
Colyngbourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Sep 2004, 12:55   #2
amner
Administrator
is beyond help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colyngbourne
Likewise, Dr. Who - the wooden actors and scenery didn't stop it being a cheap and happy, vastly entertaining programme for a couple of decades until John Nathan-Turner got his mitts on it.
It was never the same after Peri left.
Old 30th Sep 2004, 13:06   #3
Colyngbourne
Administrator
is beyond help

Amner wrote:

Quote:
It was never the same after Peri left.

I'm afraid the day that Adric sacrificed his gold badge for Mathematical Excellence (and himself) to save the Doctor and blow up the Cybermen, was a sad day for all Alzarians and a young(ish) Col.

(Turlough wasn't bad though...)
Old 30th Sep 2004, 13:59   #4
John Self
Administrator
suffers from smallness of vision

Turlough? Wasn't he the ginger-nut?

I grew up surrounded by Dr Who fans at school and absorbed a lot of it by osmosis and occasionally watching it. I remember being allowed to stay off cub scouts to watch the last episode of The Caves of Androzani, if I'm right in thinking that was the one where Peter Davison regenerated into Colin Baker. I also remember being spooked not by the Daleks or Cybermen but by the snake thing in Kinda (again, if I've got that right) - real nightmare stuff for some reason which now eludes me. I was also slightly frightened by the "watcher" in Logopolis, the silent white figure who turned out to be Peter Davison's incarnation of the Doctor when Tom Baker finally pegged it.

Putting it like that, it seems as though I actually watched it rather a lot. I was a fan of Peri too. She was a terrific pair of assets to the Doctor.

Being surrounded by geeks (but never one myself, ahum), every time the Doctor regenerated, or they announced who the next one would be, the fans in my school would sadly shake their heads and bemoan how "that's it for Dr Who - they might as well end it now" - through Peter Davison, Colin Baker and Sylvester McCoy, forgetting each time that the actor whose leave-taking they were lamenting, had caused them such consternation just a few years earlier. Now of course one would say they sounded exactly like Comic Book Guy in the Simpsons.

I am considering watching the new series. Christopher Eccleston is always watchable and they have some interesting writers lined up including Mark League of Gentlemen Gatiss and Steven Coupling Moffat.
John Self is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Sep 2004, 14:28   #5
Colyngbourne
Administrator
is beyond help

The snake thing in Kinda was linked to another set of episodes - Snakedance? It was the bad combo of Tegan and Nyssa that did for Adric. With Tom Baker, he was intellligent and capable; once JN-T took over with P. Davison, the scripts made Adric into a petulant whiner and misogynist.

Me, I was terrified of that arctic pod (c. 1974) that grew into a colossal tentacled monster; and the Fang Rock monster; and the Planet of the Spiders.
Old 30th Sep 2004, 15:08   #6
Colyngbourne
Administrator
is beyond help

It just occurred to me I have two names from Dr. Who in my current writing. The influence was clearly even greater than I thought. :P
And perhaps we should have a Dr. Who thread, to stop all this contamination of Star Wars...
Old 30th Sep 2004, 15:35   #7
amner
Administrator
is beyond help

new thread ... here you go.

Did you see the stills from the set of the new Dr Who? Eccleston and Billie Piper looked, well, distinctly uninterested.
Old 30th Sep 2004, 15:51   #8
amner
Administrator
is beyond help

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Self
I was a fan of Peri too. She was a terrific pair of assets to the Doctor.
Aye, was this:

now this:

Time not treated her too badly, I reckon.
Old 30th Sep 2004, 16:00   #9
Colyngbourne
Administrator
is beyond help

I think Chris Eccleston could do a good job as the Doctor. I'm also one of those who actually didn't mind Paul McGann as the Eighth Doctor (despite the terrible Americanisation of the TV film). Someone young and serious-ish works very well, and wasn't Chris Eccleston in that all-too-brief Ch4 vampire series Ultraviolet? (I may be confusing him with someone else there.)

I have more worries about Billie Piper. Fewer about Russell T. Davies having his hand on the helm.

Yes, Peri was one of the better latter assistants (Bonnie Langford, anyone? :x )
Old 30th Sep 2004, 16:01   #10
bakunin_the_cat
Palimpsestarian
laughs in the face of fear

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Self
. Now of course one would say they sounded exactly like Comic Book Guy in the Simpsons.
I see what you mean. Sad isn't it? But it's true. The last great Dr. was the avuncular Tom Baker. PD and SM were irritating little twats who you'd be quite happy to see erased from existence for all eternity with a suitably hideous and painful exit. Also do one of those time watchmacallits to make sure they never made an entrance.

I'm not sure about this new-fangled version. Why can't they just leave the good stuff in memoryville without having to remake it all the time? Why can't they let the poor old dog die instead of, bringing it out of cold storage, rescusitating it every few years and then put it back in the freezer when it dies?
bakunin_the_cat is offline   Reply With Quote