is hanging around suspiciously

Default Re: Recent Purchases 2013

David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Mar 2013, 15:10   #12
JunkMonkey
Senior Palimpsester
should be ashamed

I went bonkers in one of my favourite charity shops recently. (Local charity, no money for fancy shop fittings or any class at all. A happy hunting ground for real shite.) I filled up a carrier bag with paperbacks for a grand total of two quid including the first nine 'A Team' novels (I know...) and a copy of this:

Even by the standards of the fevered shite I usually punish myself with this is an incredibly BAD book. It took me five minutes to get past the opening two sentences.

Quote:
Heather Howell tossed her blonde head six different ways, while from behind her a four rotor 1922 Oehmichen and 1939 antitorque tail Sikorsky helicopter came the sound of whirring cameras.
"Entice me" ordered Bert Neff, shooting his sixteenth commercial for the month of May.
Who knew months needed advertising?

There Are Not Seven Words In My Signature

Last edited by JunkMonkey; 11th Mar 2013 at 8:59.
JunkMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Mar 2013, 12:14   #13
David
Palimpsestarian

Old 27th Mar 2013, 15:30   #14
David
Palimpsestarian

I finished reading the Elizabeth Strout last night - it's the third of hers I've read (I still haven't got around to her Pulitzer Prize-winning Olive Kitteridge) and whilst I quite enjoyed it I didn't think it was anything special. I thought her first one, Amy & Isabelle was excellent but found her second, Abide with Me a bit dull. The new one wasn't dull, but it did tend to plod along in parts and rather fizzled out towards the end.

I'm also halfway through Jim Gavin's Middle Men which is a really fun collection of stories. They feel like a breath of fresh air after reading the 34 stories in Edith Pearlman's Binocular Vision which are, as all the reviews suggest, beautifully written and intelligent and flawlessly constructed, but maybe I should have broken them up with something else as I finished them longing for something a bit lighter.

Charles Bruce's The Channel Shore is a Canadian novel which was first published in 1954. It was a book (and writer) I'd never heard of until a couple of weeks ago when, having read and absolutely loved Ernest Buckler's The Mountain and the Valley, I read an article online likening Buckler's book to Bruce's. It is currently out of print but I was intrigued enough to order this second hand copy (an edition from 1984). If it is even half as good as Buckler's I shall be happy.

Last edited by David; 27th Mar 2013 at 19:00.
Old 30th Mar 2013, 23:50   #15
JunkMonkey
Senior Palimpsester
should be ashamed

WE went shopping today to the Big City (Inverness) which has TWO Poundlands!

I pockled DVDs of Post-apoc Mullet classic Steel Dawn, the documentary Easy Riders Raging Bulls the Rollerball remake, and Brian De Palma's Raising Cain - ooh I do like me a bit of John Lithgo I do -and a book: Simon Pegg's 'autobiography' Nerd Do Well,

Not bad for a fiver.

Round the corner in a charity shop I found a 1981 (1st edition, 8th impression*) hardback copy of Alan Garner's The Moon of Gomrath with a perfect condition dust wrapper - for 50p.

...and we bought the kids some clothes....

*whatever that means.

Old 30th Mar 2013, 23:51   #16
JunkMonkey
Senior Palimpsester
should be ashamed

We went shopping today to the Big City (Inverness) which has TWO Poundlands!*

I pockled DVDs of Post-apoc Mullet classic Steel Dawn, the documentary Easy Riders Raging Bulls the Rollerball remake, and Brian De Palma's Raising Cain - ooh I do like me a bit of John Lithgo I do -and a book: Simon Pegg's 'autobiography' Nerd Do Well,

Not bad for a fiver.

Round the corner in a charity shop I found a 1981 (1st edition, 8th impression**) hardback copy of Alan Garner's The Moon of Gomrath with a perfect condition dust wrapper - for 50p.

...and we bought the kids some clothes....

* That's two separate Poundlands not one Twopoundland.
**whatever that means.

Old 7th Apr 2013, 0:50   #17
JunkMonkey
Senior Palimpsester
should be ashamed

My last visit to my favourite house-clearance, books-in-big-piles, book-buying place. They're shutting up shop. I am bereft.

Old 15th Apr 2013, 14:44   #18
David
Palimpsestarian

From the last couple of weeks. I've read three of these so far:

Shawn Vestal's Godforsaken Idaho is a debut collection of nine stories and is a bit of a mixed bag. It starts strongly with two linked stories - the first is about a man who has been dead for 500 years and keeps meeting family members in a prison-like afterlife as he relives episodes from his life in an effort to find his 'perfect moment'; the second is about his ne'er-do-well son and the crimes he commits. Both are good even if the 'twist' in the second can be seen coming a mile off, but there are too many stories here about similar loser characters. The book closes with four stories which examine more closely the Mormon faith, of which only two are successful - one about a man who has left the church yet is hounded one winter by two missionaries; the other about the early days of Mormonism's founder Joseph Smith. Of the other two one is both predictable and forgettable, and the second features yet another deceased narrator and thus lacks the freshness of the first story in the book. The writing is okay throughout, and I'll be interested to see what he writes next, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend this collection.

Jessie Cole's Darkness on the Edge of Town is an Australian novel that moves at a cracking pace. A man returning to his home on the edge of town comes across an overturned car. A young woman is in the road holding her dead baby. What follows is almost a psychological thriller which kept me gripped for a weekend, and was a much-needed change of pace from Michelle de Kretser's Questions of Travel.

Jonathan Buckley's Nostalgia, which I am just getting to the end of, has been a real surprise. I'd read a couple of Buckley's novels a few years ago (Invisible and So He Takes the Dog) and whilst I remember both being okay, I didn't think they were anything special. But I've thoroughly enjoyed this new one, about an English artist living in the Tuscan town of Castelluccio, with its digressions on architecture, saints, owls and boars and potted histories of all the characters who live in the town. It's a little bit like the kind of thing Louis de Bernieres writes.
Old 17th Apr 2013, 9:44   #19
JunkMonkey
Senior Palimpsester
should be ashamed

After moaning recently about the astonishingly high prices for copies of the later, never reprinted, Uncle books by J P Martin* I was super-chuffed (with sprinkles) to discover - after getting the only bit of blatant spamming I have ever welcomed - that they were to be reprinted!

If the money could be raised - via Kickstart.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...ake?ref=search

It has and I've put my name down for two copies.

*There are two copies of Uncle and Claudius the Camel on Abe books; the cheapest is £660

Old 24th Apr 2013, 0:17   #20
Jorrocks
Junior Palimpsestarian
is starting to settle in

Thanks for the above, Junk Monkey.
It prompted me to go and rummage on my shelves, and locate the 1974 2nd impression of Uncle and the Battle For Badgertown, which is lurking there.
Bought it about 15 years ago as remaindered stock (where it had been for the previous twenty-odd years, heaven knows).
Copies on offer on Abe books for £160 plus.

Last edited by Jorrocks; 24th Apr 2013 at 0:32.
Jorrocks is offline   Reply With Quote