Palimpsest  

Go Back   Palimpsest > Reviews > Other Reviews

Tags
andrew scott, arthur conan doyle, benedict cumberbatch, mark gatiss, martin freeman, moriarty, sherlock holmes, steven moffat, una stubbs

Old 19th Jan 2012, 12:37   #1
Lucoid
Senior Palimpsester
could do better

Default Sherlock

So, no Sherlock chatter? Nothing, not even in the Decent Telly thread!

The second series finished on Sunday with an absolutely incredible episode, 'The Reichenbach Fall', and we're all clearly far too stunned to comment yet, or are so busy trying to work out what happened we just can't think in clear sentences any more, or haven't watched it yet. For my part, I'm now battling with a MASSIVE crush on Benedict Cumberbatch as Sherlock Holmes. Apart from coming out (every time I share, it subsides slightly), I think my only hope is to watch the last episode again when it's repeated on Saturday. And then buy the DVDs.

Anyway, I thought it was about time we gave the Moffat/Gatiss Sherlock its own thread (if there's one already, I couldn't find it), rather than piggy-backing on discussions about the books and other adaptations.

EDIT: WATCH OUT, SPOILERS ABOUT (if you've been living under a rock).

Last edited by Lucoid; 19th Jan 2012 at 22:02.
Lucoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Jan 2012, 12:57   #2
chrisphillips
Junior Palimpsestarian
is a Regular

Default Re: Sherlock

That was the best episode yet. Brilliant. I thought the one the week before way quite a way below average but they soon put it right.
Old 19th Jan 2012, 13:10   #3
ono no komachi
Senior Palimpsester
has the freedom of Palimp City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucoid View Post
So, no Sherlock chatter? Nothing, not even in the Decent Telly thread!
I thought about posting something Lucoid, but A. my thoughts are far too incoherent and B. there's just too much to say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucoid View Post
For my part, I'm now battling with a MASSIVE crush on Benedict Cumberbatch as Sherlock Holmes.
Oh dear, you and me both. He actually appeared in a dream I had the other night. I'm not sure if the obsession is with BC, or with Sherlock. I think it's Sherlock. He does wear that coat rather well, a fact which was nicely referenced in the Baskerville episode: "Are you going to do that thing now, with your cheekbones, where you turn your collar up?"

Recording the repeat of this week's episode is a must. On re-watching I might even stop it every few minutes so that I can think about all the implications of events. This strikes me as dangerously fangirlish.
ono no komachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Jan 2012, 13:19   #4
amner
Administrator
is beyond help

Yes, I think this is now the norm; two corkers bookending something less than brilliant. And anyway, The Hound episode had Russell Tovey, so was always going to struggle.

But, to go back to Lucoid's original point. I think that the Sherlocks are so confident and authoritatively done, that they tend - for a few days at least - to make me think, "well, there's nothing else to say on that, then". Later, as I did with the first series, I'll go back and watch them again and again (apart from the middle one, the one with all the Chinese references) and I may be able to start picking them apart, but they are simply terrifically satisfying.

Now, did anyone guess the secret to the ending? Moffatt says it's there in the programme, how Sherlock extricated himself, but that no-one's picked it up yet. Anyone?
Old 19th Jan 2012, 13:26   #5
ono no komachi
Senior Palimpsester

There were so many clues though, weren't there? The hanging mannequin, the appeal to Molly, the 'you're me' stuff in the exchange with Moriarty...
Old 19th Jan 2012, 13:29   #6
amner
Administrator
is beyond help

Yes, I am almost certain it's the Molly thing, but then I'm not.
Old 19th Jan 2012, 19:38   #7
Colyngbourne
Administrator
is beyond help

Oh dear, there's an absolute trio of us then. I swear my BC crush increases with every thing I see him in - I worry immensely that he does right by playing Christopher Tietjens in Parade's End next autumn, then I worry that buying the Sherlock DVD as soon as it comes out is a tad obsessive; and then I see a pic of him lounging in some chair, looking all Sherlocky ....

We were all staggered with the brilliance and swooning and crying a bit on Sunday, and have been in urgent debates about how it was done ever since. Older son (or daughter) mentioned dried rhododendron leaf which gives the appearance of death but they aren't sure if this was mentioned in a Sherlock episode or in the Guy Ritchie film (I know! but we have massive Jude Law/RD Jr fans in this house too). I'm pretty sure Molly helped somehow but it really looked like him, didn't it, on the pavement. I was going to pause the screen and look at it upside down to check but I was told off for being excessive

(And Russell Tovey was the worst thing about the middle episode, yes.)
Old 19th Jan 2012, 22:00   #8
Lucoid
Senior Palimpsester
could do better

Turns out we didn't delete Sunday's Sherlock from the HDD (watched it live but had it set to record just in case) and, despite now knowing about Sherlock Cumberbatch and me, Mr Lucoid was happy to watch it again. I possibly have the best husband ever. Or at least one that's keen to prove how clever he is by working the whole thing out. Anyway, Benedict Holmes fix over for the day and I'm very annoyed to admit I can't find the bloody clue - I thought requesting that we follow Ono's pausing idea might be pushing it a bit far. (Story here in case you've somehow missed it: http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2012-...-sherlock-clue)

As for the question of whether it's BC or SH that's got to me, I'm pretty sure it's Sherlock-as-played-by-Benedict-Cumberbatch. The collar, the cheekbones, the curls, the intelligence, the complete and utter unattainability - clearly a hybrid of the two. I've never fancied Sherlock Holmes before, in print or on screen (except perhaps when he has RD Jr's eyes) - he's certainly no Darcy or Rochester, despite sharing some of their more git-like traits. Damn you Benedict Cumberbatch!

Anyway, I suppose we'd better get back to the more serious, less Agony Aunt Letter, focus. The Proper Palimp stuff...

There's a real magic about this programme. Having only three such magnificently scripted and directed episodes* at a time is a stroke of genius, creating an intensity that's very hard to match, and the mixture of humour and drama, combined with charmingly conceived references to the original stories, other adaptations and the Sherlock mythology is so brilliantly balanced it makes me want to cry, or laugh, or something. In the real world, it's not Moriarty at the centre of that big web, it's Steven Moffat and Mark Gatiss carefully assessing the tension of every single little thread, and they've got so many of us trapped they must be over the moon. (Sorry, ran out of metaphor.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colyngbourne View Post
(And Russell Tovey was the worst thing about the middle episode, yes.)
Not the stupid CGI hound they all apparently hallucinated identically in the hollow at the end, then?

*Ok, so maybe two and one very good bit of TV that may not quite compare to the other two but still beats most other programmes.

Last edited by Lucoid; 25th Jan 2012 at 8:52.
Lucoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Jan 2012, 22:52   #9
Colyngbourne
Administrator
is beyond help

I think I'm used to the silly hound from the 2003 or whenever-it-was Richard Roxburgh and Ian Hart version, which we watch at least once a year in our house; so Sherlock's hound was a close cousin of that one.
Old 20th Jan 2012, 8:38   #10
ono no komachi
Senior Palimpsester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colyngbourne View Post
I'm pretty sure Molly helped somehow but it really looked like him, didn't it, on the pavement. I was going to pause the screen and look at it upside down to check but I was told off for being excessive
The audience is looking from Watson's point of view at this point, no? I've read a couple of plausible (ish!) explanations for this, one that there was some kind of use of the hallucinatory drug from episode 2 which makes the person see what they expect to see; and one that Moriarty had used some kind of convincing Mission-Impossible style Sherlock mask when kidnapping the children (viz. the little girl screaming when she saw Sherlock.)

I'm sure there's some kind of clue in the hanging mannequin. What did Sherlock say? "This man would never have committed suicide." or somesuch?