Palimpsest  

Go Back   Palimpsest > Reviews > Other Reviews


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th Feb 2007, 11:30   #1
Miriamaok
Junior Palimpsestarian
is a Regular
 
Join Date: 31 Aug 2005
Location: London
Posts: 162
Default The Wire - Spoiler Free

If any of you have the channel FX, the new series of The Wire starts tonight at 10pm. The Observer had a couple of pieces about it on Sunday. I don't know if anyone else has watched the previous three series but I would recommend getting the DVDs if you can.
__________________
I recall a bigger brighter world
A world of books
And silent times in thought
Flickr
Miriamaok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Feb 2007, 11:40   #2
Stradlater
Palimpsestarian
is a Grand High Wizard of the Palimp
 
Stradlater's Avatar
 
Join Date: 9 Oct 2005
Location: London
Posts: 848
Default Re: Decent Telly

The Wire is SO good, it makes you realise what an amazing medium TV can be at its best. Don't know how it would be to begin watching with series three, though. Both series one and two were AMAZING, and maybe viewers need to get to know the characters by watching them first . . . dunno though.
Stradlater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Feb 2007, 15:36   #3
Colyngbourne
Administrator
is beyond help
 
Colyngbourne's Avatar
 
Join Date: 30 Apr 2003
Location: England
Posts: 10,732
Default Re: Decent Telly

That's the darn thing. Some of us still just have the free-to-air channels, and hear all this stuff about The Wire or The Dresden wotsit, or The Lost Room, or Heroes; and have to miss out. I guess in the end they'll either be repeated on free digital channels eventually or we have to enjoy the privilege of doing something else with all that TV-watching time.
__________________
Currently reading: The Woman in White - Wilkie Collins | My reading list | My film list
Colyngbourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Feb 2007, 15:52   #4
Noumenon
Senior Palimpsester

has the freedom of Palimp City
 
Noumenon's Avatar
 
Join Date: 13 Jul 2006
Location: Madrid, Spain
Posts: 3,783
Default Re: Decent Telly

Heroes - I forgot to mention that but I'm looking forward to it (sorry!). I've not seen The Wire but Charlie Brooker raved about it and I generally consider him to be the Oracle (Dr. Who blindness excepted).
Noumenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Feb 2007, 15:56   #5
amner
Administrator
is beyond help
 
amner's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10 Apr 2003
Location: Cambridge
Posts: 10,918
Default Re: Decent Telly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradlater View Post
The Wire is SO good, it makes you realise what an amazing medium TV can be at its best. Don't know how it would be to begin watching with series three, though. Both series one and two were AMAZING, and maybe viewers need to get to know the characters by watching them first . . . dunno though.
Charlie Brooker was praising The Wire on Screenwipe the other night. I went to check the DVDs in HMV and they were £51 per season (1-3)!
__________________
amner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Mar 2007, 19:09   #6
amner
Administrator
is beyond help
 
amner's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10 Apr 2003
Location: Cambridge
Posts: 10,918
Default Re: Decent Telly

Quote:
Originally Posted by amner View Post
Charlie Brooker was praising The Wire on Screenwipe the other night. I went to check the DVDs in HMV and they were £51 per season (1-3)!
Not any longer.

Might just have to invest at that price.
__________________
amner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Oct 2007, 12:18   #7
beer good
Palimpsestarian
could do better
 
beer good's Avatar
 
Join Date: 31 Aug 2006
Location: The city that swims on the water
Posts: 1,400
Default Re: Decent Telly

I finally caught up with The Wire, watched the last episode of season 4 yesterday. And... holy crap. I'm not sure I'll be able to hold out until January, but I guess I have no choice. This show makes The Sopranos look like amateur hour (OK, that's harsh, but...) Realistic, complex, well-rounded and sometimes so painfully poignant that I damn near wept during the last few minutes. Keep going, Donut. Don't stop at the city limits. Get the hell out.

Each season is like an extremely well-written novel, one long story with dozens of subplots weaving in and out, no easy fixes... anyone claiming TV is a dumb medium obviously hasn't been watching this.

"No one wins. One side just loses more slowly."
__________________
See the cat? See the cradle?

Goodreads (2013 and older)
Movies I've seen
beer good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Jan 2008, 12:36   #8
amner
Administrator
is beyond help
 
amner's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10 Apr 2003
Location: Cambridge
Posts: 10,918
Default Re: Decent Telly

Quote:
Originally Posted by beer good View Post
I finally caught up with The Wire, watched the last episode of season 4 yesterday. And... holy crap. I'm not sure I'll be able to hold out until January, but I guess I have no choice. This show makes The Sopranos look like amateur hour (OK, that's harsh, but...) Realistic, complex, well-rounded and sometimes so painfully poignant that I damn near wept during the last few minutes. Keep going, Donut. Don't stop at the city limits. Get the hell out.

Each season is like an extremely well-written novel, one long story with dozens of subplots weaving in and out, no easy fixes... anyone claiming TV is a dumb medium obviously hasn't been watching this.

"No one wins. One side just loses more slowly."
Finally caught up with The Wire this weekend and, damn, it's every bit as good as the hype suggests. I can't have seen my best telly of the year already, surely?

Probably deserves its own thread.
__________________
amner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jan 2008, 11:56   #9
beer good
Palimpsestarian
could do better
 
beer good's Avatar
 
Join Date: 31 Aug 2006
Location: The city that swims on the water
Posts: 1,400
Default Re: Decent Telly

Quote:
Originally Posted by amner View Post
Finally caught up with The Wire this weekend and, damn, it's every bit as good as the hype suggests. I can't have seen my best telly of the year already, surely?

Probably deserves its own thread.
I agree, so if any of the mods feels so inclined, there's a couple of posts here somewhere that could be moved...

Especially since s5 just started the other day (first two episodes have leaked online in good quality) and DAMN. The last few minutes of 5.02 are just... DAMN. It's been a while since I wanted so badly both to hit and hug the same character, and I think the best show on TV right now is looking to go out with a bang.
__________________
See the cat? See the cradle?

Goodreads (2013 and older)
Movies I've seen
beer good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jan 2008, 13:02   #10
amner
Administrator
is beyond help
 
amner's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10 Apr 2003
Location: Cambridge
Posts: 10,918
Default Re: The Wire

A new thread, created from disparate sections of the Decent Telly thread, for all those lucky and enlightened folk who have seen the great, great The Wire.
__________________
amner is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
V.S. Naipaul Mike Book Reviews 10 20th Mar 2010 21:34
Going Free Range BiNS Politics & Society 68 1st Feb 2008 16:29


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 23:01.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.