Palimpsest  

Go Back   Palimpsest > Reviews > Other Reviews

Old 13th Feb 2007, 11:30   #1
Miriamaok
Junior Palimpsestarian
is a Regular

Default The Wire - Spoiler Free

If any of you have the channel FX, the new series of The Wire starts tonight at 10pm. The Observer had a couple of pieces about it on Sunday. I don't know if anyone else has watched the previous three series but I would recommend getting the DVDs if you can.
Flickr
Miriamaok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Feb 2007, 11:40   #2
Stradlater
Palimpsestarian
is a Grand High Wizard of the Palimp

Default Re: Decent Telly

The Wire is SO good, it makes you realise what an amazing medium TV can be at its best. Don't know how it would be to begin watching with series three, though. Both series one and two were AMAZING, and maybe viewers need to get to know the characters by watching them first . . . dunno though.
Stradlater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Feb 2007, 15:36   #3
Colyngbourne
Administrator
is beyond help

That's the darn thing. Some of us still just have the free-to-air channels, and hear all this stuff about The Wire or The Dresden wotsit, or The Lost Room, or Heroes; and have to miss out. I guess in the end they'll either be repeated on free digital channels eventually or we have to enjoy the privilege of doing something else with all that TV-watching time.
Old 13th Feb 2007, 15:52   #4
Noumenon
Senior Palimpsester

has the freedom of Palimp City

Heroes - I forgot to mention that but I'm looking forward to it (sorry!). I've not seen The Wire but Charlie Brooker raved about it and I generally consider him to be the Oracle (Dr. Who blindness excepted).
Noumenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Feb 2007, 15:56   #5
amner
Administrator
is beyond help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradlater View Post
The Wire is SO good, it makes you realise what an amazing medium TV can be at its best. Don't know how it would be to begin watching with series three, though. Both series one and two were AMAZING, and maybe viewers need to get to know the characters by watching them first . . . dunno though.
Charlie Brooker was praising The Wire on Screenwipe the other night. I went to check the DVDs in HMV and they were £51 per season (1-3)!
Old 20th Mar 2007, 19:09   #6
amner
Administrator
is beyond help

Quote:
Originally Posted by amner View Post
Charlie Brooker was praising The Wire on Screenwipe the other night. I went to check the DVDs in HMV and they were £51 per season (1-3)!
Not any longer.

Might just have to invest at that price.
Old 3rd Oct 2007, 12:18   #7
beer good
Palimpsestarian
could do better

I finally caught up with The Wire, watched the last episode of season 4 yesterday. And... holy crap. I'm not sure I'll be able to hold out until January, but I guess I have no choice. This show makes The Sopranos look like amateur hour (OK, that's harsh, but...) Realistic, complex, well-rounded and sometimes so painfully poignant that I damn near wept during the last few minutes. Keep going, Donut. Don't stop at the city limits. Get the hell out.

Each season is like an extremely well-written novel, one long story with dozens of subplots weaving in and out, no easy fixes... anyone claiming TV is a dumb medium obviously hasn't been watching this.

"No one wins. One side just loses more slowly."

Goodreads (2013 and older)
Movies I've seen
beer good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Jan 2008, 12:36   #8
amner
Administrator
is beyond help

Quote:
Originally Posted by beer good View Post
I finally caught up with The Wire, watched the last episode of season 4 yesterday. And... holy crap. I'm not sure I'll be able to hold out until January, but I guess I have no choice. This show makes The Sopranos look like amateur hour (OK, that's harsh, but...) Realistic, complex, well-rounded and sometimes so painfully poignant that I damn near wept during the last few minutes. Keep going, Donut. Don't stop at the city limits. Get the hell out.

Each season is like an extremely well-written novel, one long story with dozens of subplots weaving in and out, no easy fixes... anyone claiming TV is a dumb medium obviously hasn't been watching this.

"No one wins. One side just loses more slowly."
Finally caught up with The Wire this weekend and, damn, it's every bit as good as the hype suggests. I can't have seen my best telly of the year already, surely?

Probably deserves its own thread.
Old 8th Jan 2008, 11:56   #9
beer good
Palimpsestarian
could do better

Quote:
Originally Posted by amner View Post
Finally caught up with The Wire this weekend and, damn, it's every bit as good as the hype suggests. I can't have seen my best telly of the year already, surely?

Probably deserves its own thread.
I agree, so if any of the mods feels so inclined, there's a couple of posts here somewhere that could be moved...

Especially since s5 just started the other day (first two episodes have leaked online in good quality) and DAMN. The last few minutes of 5.02 are just... DAMN. It's been a while since I wanted so badly both to hit and hug the same character, and I think the best show on TV right now is looking to go out with a bang.

Goodreads (2013 and older)
Movies I've seen
beer good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jan 2008, 13:02   #10
amner
Administrator
is beyond help

Default Re: The Wire

A new thread, created from disparate sections of the Decent Telly thread, for all those lucky and enlightened folk who have seen the great, great The Wire.