Palimpsest  

Go Back   Palimpsest > Reviews > Top Tens

Old 10th May 2006, 12:46   #11
Lizzy Siddal
Palimpsestarian
is a palimpsestin' fool!

Default Re: Top 10 theme tunes

I'm surprised noone has mentioned Top of the Pops! (Magnificent Led Zeppelin riff that it is ....)
Old 10th May 2006, 12:53   #12
gil
Senior Palimpsester
has the freedom of Palimp City

Default Re: Top 10 theme tunes

1. The old BBC Formula 1 Grand Prix music (Fleetwood Mac, I believe)
2. Mrs Dale's Diary (just a few riffs on a harp, but it reminds me of the 50s)
3. Music While You Work (a jolly march)
4. The Sky at Night (a fine piece of Sibelius)
5. Old Labour Party Political Broadcasts in earlier decades (Holst's Jupiter. What a waste of a good tune.)
6. Harry's Game (Clannad)
7. Van der Valk (The catchy theme tune, "Eye Level", reached number two in the UK charts in the autumn of 1972 when Van der Valk was first shown. )MP3
8. Benny Hill MP3
9 Question of Sport MP3
10 Soap MP3

Hon. mentions for Coronation Street and Dr Who.
gil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2006, 13:21   #13
amarie
has never loathed cock, and
is a Palimpsester Extraordinaire

Default Re: Top 10 TV theme tunes

Well, I've only got 5 so far and two of those I agree with Col on - MASH and To Serve Them All My Days.

So:

3: Ski Sunday - I don't know what the tune's called, but I loved it.

4. Jonathan Creek - I never actually watched the programme, but if I remember rightly the theme music was Saint-Saens' Danse Macabre which is a favourite of mine.

5. Bergerac - Fantastic!
amarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2006, 13:37   #14
ono no komachi
Senior Palimpsester

Amarie got to Bergerac first, but she's right, it's a classic, so here goes:

1. All Creatures Great and Small
2. Bergerac
3. The Gallery music from Vision On
4. The Robin Hood that had Michael Praed in it (another Clannad classic)
5. Z Cars
6. Starsky and Hutch
7. Six Feet Under (might be simply because I've heard it so many times. There's also a great version of it on the first Six Feet Under album intercut with snippets of dialogue from the series.)
8. Bagpuss
9. Space 1999
10. Arena (the plinky plonky piano with the bottle bobbing along)
ono no komachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2006, 13:42   #15
jim
Palimpsestarian
worries mother

I was sure Eye Level was number 1 and on checking I see it was for a month in September/October 1973. I was too young to watch the programme but remember it being performed on Top of the Pops.

Agree with Robinson Crusoe and The Flashing Blade - brings back memories of long summer holidays. Also Shoestring - brilliant Sunday night viewing.

I would add The Sweeney, The Champions, the old cricket music before BBC lost all the rights and the recently departed Grandstand.
jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2006, 14:11   #16
John Self
Administrator
suffers from smallness of vision

The Simpsons - Danny Elfman at his controlled-mania best.

The Incredible Hulk, which I loved as a kid - not so much the opening titles (which was mostly narrative: "David Banner is believed to be dead... and he must let the world think that he is dead") but the closing four-note piano theme which played sadly as David wandered off to another distant place with his coat over his shoulder, forever homeless... *sob*

Blue Peter - especially when they used to try to trendify it with the then slightly-past-cool figure of Mike Oldfield. It's still the Sailor's Frigging Hornpipe.

News at Ten - pure dramatic authority! As was.

Yes Minister - elegant and worked brilliantly with the titles. Anyone with the first series on DVD can see the original titles and music, which was Whitehall-farce-style and absolutely awful.

Monty Python's Flying Circus - turned Sousa's Liberty Bell March on its head. And again a perfect match for Terry Gilliam's inventive title sequences.

Brush Strokes - aka Because of You by Dexys Midnight Runners. And yes, I am joking.

Who Wants to be a Millionaire? - the whole success of the show is built around its 'dramatic' qualities - dimly lit, shiny set, authoritative music, more like a news programme than a quiz show. Perfect.

Last of the Summer Wine - it'll be a cold day in Hell before I watch this programme, but the music is instantly recognisable (probably because it's been a regular Sunday night fixture for 35 years) and perfectly matched to the whimsical, bucolic, er, unfunny nature of the show. The theme tune equivalent of a converted bath running down a hill. Without brakes!

Can't think of any others offhand but I agree with most of the earlier suggestions too, of course.
Old 10th May 2006, 14:19   #17
Daveybot
Senior Palimpsester

Daveybot's daveylist which will be continued later when he's got time...
01 - The Simpsons
Daaaaa-da, da da ddaaah-da, da da dudduddudduh!

Come on - who amongst us hasn't whistled that one while they drive home from work? Or sang along with its magically retro 'Thuuuuh Siiiimp-suuuuhns' at the beginning?

02 - Red Dwarf
Air guitars at the ready, smeg-heads!
...That fantastic series of synthesized orchestral hits, that wailing guitar solo, and of course those immortal lyrics 'Goldfish shoals, nibbling at my toes'. All served to make a perfect announcement to some of the the best bits of Friday evenings when I was a lad. Fun fun fun in the sun sun sun indeed!

...To be continued...
Daveybot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2006, 14:27   #18
Daveybot
Senior Palimpsester

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Self
Monty Python's Flying Circus - turned Sousa's Liberty Bell March on its head. And again a perfect match for Terry Gilliam's inventive title sequences.
In June 1998 I drove 10,000 miles (10,055 in the end) around the US with some friends of mine in a big chevy van. we timed the whole schebang so we could finish off in DC on July 4th, and I loved it - still some of the best fireworks I've ever seen anywhere. It was all very impressive, the monuments, the galleries, the museums and all, but the best bit for me was watching a parade march past to the Monty Python theme tune.

My chums had to physically restrain me from blowing raspberries in time to the music as various official-looking types marched past. Still, one of the funniest experiences I've ever enjoyed.

---------

...And continuing even more off-topic, I'm rather fond of this little quote by Mr Sousa as he predicted the death of culture due to the terrifying technological presence of the player piano and - gasp! - recorded music...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sousa
These talking machines are going to ruin the artistic development of music in this country. When I was a boy...in front of every house in the summer evenings, you would find young people together singing the songs of the day or old songs. Today you hear these infernal machines going night and day. We will not have a vocal cord left. The vocal cord will be eliminated by a process of evolution, as was the tail of man when he came from the ape.
Progressive evolutionary viewpoints aside, you really have to admire the luddite in him.

Last edited by Daveybot; 10th May 2006 at 14:37.
Daveybot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2006, 15:14   #19
Colyngbourne
Administrator
is beyond help

Here's a good place to watch some old intros and here as well
Old 10th May 2006, 15:22   #20
chillicheese
Palimpsestarian
is a Grand High Wizard of the Palimp

Send a message via Yahoo to chillicheese

ha, I'd forgotten more than I ever knew.

er, what oh what was Avenger Penguins ???