Palimpsest  

Go Back   Palimpsest > User Forums > General Chat

Old 23rd May 2005, 16:46   #11
idioteque
Banned
is hanging around suspiciously

Last edited by idioteque; 27th Jan 2008 at 2:14.
idioteque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2005, 17:26   #12
Jerkass
Palimpsestarian
eats too much cheese

let's see...been in a Nick Drake, Love's Forever Changes, and the excrutiatingly named The La's[sic] mood recently
Old 23rd May 2005, 18:45   #13
rick green
Palimpsestarian
could do better

Afropop Worldwide with your host: Georges Collinet!
Old 23rd May 2005, 19:57   #14
kumquat
Palimpsestarian
is a palimpsestin' fool!

Send a message via MSN to kumquat

I've been listening to my latest Jean-Jaques Goldman cd as purchased in Paris. This album is called 'chansons pour les pieds' - songs for feet! Also have been blasting out the new Garbage album a lot and Handel's Messiah is never far from the cd player.
Old 23rd May 2005, 22:20   #15
HP
Senior Palimpsester
suckles at the teat of the Palim-God

R.C. wrote:

Quote:
Quote:
impossibly beautiful

I'm stealing this phrase. I need it. Right, HP? Wasn't I struggling to say this a couple days ago?
You were, sir, you were. And a very manful sort of struggle it was too ....
HP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2005, 22:45   #16
HP
Senior Palimpsester

And John said:

Quote:
Rod Stewart in not crap shock? Well, he's always had a certain amount of good taste in songs he covers - Downtown Train for example - but his buffoonish image has always made me dismiss him as a bit of a joke. Was I wrong?
I don't think so. I've always liked his voice. It's so distinctive and yet wonderfully musical. I think you have to ignore the silly hair and pipecleaner legs (and jeez! what a squitty little bum!). Forget too, all that crazy Penny/Rachel tabloid fluff nonsense and just enjoy the man's singing. He recently got on the 'swing' revival bandwagon - or at least the big band sound thang - and made a darn good fist of things, in the main.
Old 24th May 2005, 0:03   #17
RC

Christ, HP, with a friend like you the poor chappie won't be needing any enemies.
Old 24th May 2005, 8:57   #18
Wavid
Administrator
befriends strangers

Send a message via AIM to Wavid Send a message via MSN to Wavid Send a message via Yahoo to Wavid Send a message via Skype™ to Wavid

Can I just be really annoying and point out to John that the Stereophonics version of Handbags... was not the one used in the Office credits, rather one by somebody called, if memory serves, Big George, or something like that.

Amner - while the Cash version of I See a Darkness is excellent, the original by Will Oldham, as Bonnie 'Prince' Billy, (who sings backing on the Cash one) is genuinely better. The album it is on is named after that song. Mind you, all four of the Cash American Recordings records are brilliant.

My listening at the moment is dominated by the few tracks I have bought recently from ITunes. Times Like These by the Foo Fighters, Wake Up Boo!, Disco Down by Shed Seven (thanks JS), the brilliant single from Razorlight Somewhere Else and the quite good Speed of Sound from Coldplay.

Oh and one song I play AT LEAST once every single day is the cover of Easy by Faith No More. Great stuff.

edit: Oh, and I agree with JS that the Gorillaz album might well be essential listening, the current single is superb, and used on the new Ipod adverts, I see.
Old 24th May 2005, 10:54   #19
bakunin_the_cat
Palimpsestarian
laughs in the face of fear

Not having broadband or anything like enough patience to download songs without one, I'm still doing it the old fashioned way, i.e. borrowing CDs off friends and copying them, and occasionally - shock horror -buying them.

In this vein, I have recently got Uncut Vol 1 from my Polish friend which has loads of great stuff that hasn't quite made it yet along with a couple of more famous names. Unfortunately, as I didn't bother writing out the songs and artists I don't know who they are! Call me Homer!

I also got the Best of Morrissey from work for 2.99 which seemed like a pretty good deal. Just put it on now for the first time, so I haven't really got into it yet, though I do like what I'm hearing.

On the Nick Drake front, I thought it was about time someone round here mentioned him. Fantastic stuff. Just a shame that it took people 40 years after his death to start getting into him. Must make the 7 mile trip out to his grave before I leave Stupid Town.
bakunin_the_cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2005, 11:21   #20
HP
Senior Palimpsester

R.C. wrote:

Quote:
Christ, HP, with a friend like you the poor chappie won't be needing any enemies.
I think our Rod just got his revenge. Yonks and yonks ago, he appeared on ToTP wearing tight-fitting leopardskin leggings and little pixie boots which only served to make his little lallies littler and his squitty bum squittier. He was singing 'Do Ya Think I'm Sexy' at the time. :D Tried to find this image of him, using Google. I hit on one particular site which promptly invaded my compoot with a trojan virus thingy called seeve.exe that splatters the screen with a myriad of pop-ups, and which has taken two-and-a-half hours to locate and destroy (fingers very crossed), and another half hour finding and installing a firewall. Sheesh! All to prove Mr Stewart works best on radio or CD ...