Go Back   Palimpsest > Reviews > Other Reviews

Tags
bbc, nicola walker, peter firth, richard armitage, spooks

Old 29th Oct 2011, 14:15   #51
gil
Senior Palimpsester
has the freedom of Palimp City

Default Re: Spooks - SPOILERS

I had no feelings about Ruth being killed. She's been asking for it since series 1. I was actually more sorry for Sasha, who had had his emotions mucked about with throughout his life.

This last series was actually lamer than any previous one. I thought I was going to be sad when it was all over, but the "technology" (actually fantasy) they appear to wield is ridiculous. (e.g. control of all the CCTV in the American embassy; KGB files; ability at a moment's notice to eavesdrop on any phone anywhere)

When a story postulates a deus ex machina for every problem it ceases to be gripping. And their map of the plane's progress was silly. They made the Channel about 200 miles wide so they could extend the tension. And they matched that to the timing. A plane takes about 2 minutes to cross the Channel, but they made it last 12.
gil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Oct 2011, 14:25   #52
Colyngbourne
Administrator
is beyond help

I cried because it seemed inevitable that Harry was going to be left alone. Ruth was his one chance, and I did like her. Sneaking into the American embassy vaults might have been ridiculously impossible in real life but it made for such tense TV.

Not the best series of the lot, but good enough as a round-up. And I was so glad Harry survived even so. Daughter was miffed as she was "not seeing" that day and heard the episode but otherwise missed the drama, so iPlayer for her now we're home, I think.
Old 29th Oct 2011, 19:14   #53
ono no komachi
Senior Palimpsester

I've only just watched it, and hence have been avoiding this thread for almost a week.

I thought this series was better than the previous 'Let's give Lucas North a ridiculous ending so that he can go off and be a hobbit.' And the 'outside agency' has one of the best, most recognisable voices around, so his 'I have an appointment with Mr Lermontov' sent chills down my spine.

And in answer to the question, I was in absolute floods for about the last 8 minutes.
ono no komachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Oct 2011, 23:14   #54
gil
Senior Palimpsester

The 'outside agency' was inspired, I must say.
gil is offline   Reply With Quote