Palimpsest  

Go Back   Palimpsest > Reviews > Film Reviews

Old 24th Aug 2011, 18:15   #1
Colyngbourne
Administrator
is beyond help

Default Troll Hunter

Troll Hunter was another rather good holiday watch - this is a Norwegian "found footage" film, in documentary style, with subtitling. Three college students are investigating bear poaching for a film project and pursue a gruff old codger whom they suspect is implicated, but deep in the forest, they encounter the real object of his attention, which are various breeds of trolls (one of them named after our family!) who live in government-approved secrecy in the Norwegian wastelands. Culling the ones who stray from their territory or who endanger life or discovery, the Troll Hunter gruffly invites the students to continue filming his day-to-day (or rather night-to-night) job of checking up on troll activity.

It is funny, predictable in places and serious in others. You get enough real face-to-face with the various trolls to stop the frustration of Cloverfield or Blair Witch, and some well-thought-out meetings with scientists and experts who confirm the science of a troll petrifying in daylight, and powerlines keeping them within a designated territory. One scene has a Billy Goat Gruff resonance and others probably also refer to many of the other Norwegian troll tales. A delightful coda to the film is a (doctored) clip from a real press conference in which the Norwegian Prime minister Jens Stoltenberg mentions in a briefing about oil-fields and power-lines that "yes, of course we have trolls in Norway", (apparently referring to The Troll Field, an oil field) but the energy guy sat next to him does a double-take which is very convincing.

Old 25th Aug 2011, 10:01   #2
amner
Administrator
is beyond help

Default Re: Troll Hunter

I'm seeing this on Saturday at FrightFest, rather looking forward to it, too. I think on a big screen it may be quite impressive.