Palimpsest  

Go Back   Palimpsest > Reviews > Book Reviews

Old 31st Jan 2008, 16:50   #1
bill
Senior Palimpsester
suckles at the teat of the Palim-God

Default Thomas Ligotti

Thanks for the research, Bakunin! Those prices are better than what I've found so far. Then again, your thrift store idea is also very appealing. There's an American horror writer I like a lot named Thomas Ligotti, whose stuff is nowadays published by independent publishers. His older, larger publisher work is very hard to come by, and his omnibus collection, "The Nightmare Factory" goes for about $50 on the internet. I found it, out of the blue, at a thrift store for $1. That was a great day for me, I don't mind telling you.
bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Jan 2008, 16:57   #2
Stewart
Once known as Blixa
takes it to extremes

Send a message via MSN to Stewart
Default Re: J.G. Ballard

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill View Post
...your thrift store idea is also very appealing.
How does $8.99 sound for a copy of Kingdom Come? That's with postage and packaging.

Quote:
There's an American horror writer I like a lot named Thomas Ligotti, whose stuff is nowadays published by independent publishers.
I've always wanted to read Ligotti, but I've never seen his work for sale. I don't even know if he's been published over here.
Old 31st Jan 2008, 17:09   #3
bill
Senior Palimpsester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart View Post
How does $8.99 sound for a copy of Kingdom Come? That's with postage and packaging.

I've always wanted to read Ligotti, but I've never seen his work for sale. I don't even know if he's been published over here.
$8.99 sounds excellent. Why doesn't Amazon have these prices for "Kingdom Come"??

Ligotti is terrific. A not bad (but also not great) description of his stories would be a mash-up of H. P. Lovecraft and Robert Aickman. He's closer in theme and world-view to Lovecraft, but closer to Aickman in talent, and also in the effect he has on, well, me (I'm a big Aickman fan, as well).

I saw some of Ligotti's books on Amazon UK, and they're not giving them away, although some aren't too bad. Be careful with "The Nightmare Factory", though. There is a comic book adaptation of some of Ligotti's stories that also goes by that title. I've flipped through it, and even if comics are your thing, it didn't look very promising.
Old 31st Jan 2008, 19:50   #4
Noumenon
Senior Palimpsester

has the freedom of Palimp City

Quote:
There's an American horror writer I like a lot named Thomas Ligotti, whose stuff is nowadays published by independent publishers. His older, larger publisher work is very hard to come by, and his omnibus collection, "The Nightmare Factory" goes for about $50 on the internet. I found it, out of the blue, at a thrift store for $1. That was a great day for me, I don't mind telling you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart View Post
Quote:
Ligotti is terrific. A not bad (but also not great) description of his stories would be a mash-up of H. P. Lovecraft and Robert Aickman. He's closer in theme and world-view to Lovecraft, but closer to Aickman in talent, and also in the effect he has on, well, me (I'm a big Aickman fan, as well).

I saw some of Ligotti's books on Amazon UK, and they're not giving them away, although some aren't too bad. Be careful with "The Nightmare Factory", though. There is a comic book adaptation of some of Ligotti's stories that also goes by that title. I've flipped through it, and even if comics are your thing, it didn't look very promising.
Oooooh. I've never heard of this guy, but your various words sound interesting. I've been looking for someone new to dip into, since Mr. King has flagged a little and aside from the old classics like Lovecraft and Poe it's just been him for me for a while now. Not sure I can spend £50 bob on a maybe though...
Noumenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Feb 2008, 0:02   #5
bill
Senior Palimpsester

That's the problem with cult writers like Ligotti, and frankly, in my experience, you're more likely to get burned spending a lot of money on someone like him, who you've only heard good things about.

All I can suggest is buying the cheapest book you can find (and you can find many cheaper than fifty), or go to his website. They sometimes have a free story or two, and there are a lot of interviews with him (he's a very smart, very strange guy. And his story is a little sad).

http://www.ligotti.net/
Old 1st Feb 2008, 1:08   #6
Noumenon
Senior Palimpsester

has the freedom of Palimp City

Ligotti Online - just in case confusion reigns!
Noumenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Feb 2008, 10:09   #7
Adr.
Palimpsestarian
deserves a medal

Hi Bill, welcome. It's good to see another Ballard fan on the palimp.

Also, I couldn't agree more in regards to Ligotti. He's a terrific writer and shamefully neglected by the mainstream. I remember picking up a copy of Songs of a Dead Dreamer years ago merely because it had an introduction by Ramesey Campbell. Some incredible short stories in there. The Frolic still makes me feel uneasy no matter how many times I read it.

The Nightmare Factory is a great collection of his stuff (including Songs of a Dead Dreamer). I didn't realise that it was so difficult to obtain. I can heartily recommend it (if you can find it that is).
Adr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Feb 2008, 14:13   #8
bill
Senior Palimpsester

"The Frolic" is a chilling story. Another one of my favorites, and the first Ligotti story I read, is "The Red Tower". Instead of feeling like Lovecraft mixed with Aickman, that one reads like Lovecraft mixed with Steven Millhauser. Very strange and unnerving.

Since this thread is supposed to be about Ballard (I feel like I've derailed it) and you're a big fan, Adr., which books by him do you consider essential reading? I've read most of the books you might mention, but if there are any wild cards, I'd appreciate knowing about them. Sad news like this tends to make me want to catch up.
Old 1st Feb 2008, 14:38   #9
amner
Administrator
is beyond help

Default Re: Thomas Ligotti

Guys, I've moved the Ligotti stuff across to its own thread.
Old 1st Feb 2008, 14:39   #10
bill
Senior Palimpsester

Default Re: Thomas Ligotti

Seems wise. Thanks!