Palimpsest  

Go Back   Palimpsest > User Forums > Politics & Society

Old 27th Oct 2005, 12:02   #1
Digger
Senior Palimpsester
has the freedom of Palimp City

Send a message via MSN to Digger
Default Re: Extended Licensing Hours, or, Let's get Para!

ok, so this is kind of related to this thread...

Who thinks all this flim-flamming over banning smoking in some but not all public places is ridiculous? I have to say, that while I am perfectly happy for people to commit slow suicide in this manner, if the government wants to legislate for the nations health they surely have to be decisive about it and ban it accross the board. It also doesn't seem fair, as several publicans have pointed out, that if there's somewhere down the road that allows smoking, but their pub/bar/restauraunt cant because of food serving activities, smokers will go down the road.

No I don't know how much that really will make a difference. I suspect that the pub/bar/restauraunt going population will continue to go out and spread themselves pretty evenly, but why set up the possibility for problems. Why cant they follow Ireland, N Ireland and Scotland (dont know about Wales) and just ban it if they're going to. People will still continue to commit slow suicide through liver damage at the all night pubs!

Book list | Flickr
Digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Oct 2005, 12:11   #2
Stewart
Once known as Blixa
takes it to extremes

Send a message via MSN to Stewart

They should follow Scotland and ban it totally. But, they can't even decide on what constitutes a bar serving food: is it a sandwich? a bag of crisps? a pack of nuts?, a sausage roll?
Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Oct 2005, 12:18   #3
Digger
Senior Palimpsester

I seem to recall that the official 'meal' definition is a pork pie and an apple - that will allow you to have alcohol when you're 16. Perhaps it's that.

Book list | Flickr
Old 27th Oct 2005, 12:26   #4
ono no komachi
Senior Palimpsester

No ban currently in Wales (would be interesting in my home town because all the smokers would frequent the pubs on one side of the river and the non-smokers on the other!)

There was an interesting take on this in yesterday's online Guardian. As a non-smoker who dislikes all my clothes smelling of smoke after a night out, I still think the only valid argument in favour of the ban is that of the effect on the health of those who work in places where smoking is prevalent. The fact that some people find it offensive is not sufficient grounds to ban it. Some people would find my favourite aunt's tendency to swear like a sailor when inebriated offensive, but she's not been banned from any establishments yet (to my knowledge).

Another question to add into the mix - most publicans claim that a much higher percentage of their customers smoke than the percentage of the general population who are smokers. Does that mean that the smoky atmosphere is putting off non-smokers, or simply that the demographic profile of non-smokers means they are less prone to frequent pubs and bars?
ono no komachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Oct 2005, 12:37   #5
Digger
Senior Palimpsester

Quote:
Originally Posted by ono no komachi
Another question to add into the mix - most publicans claim that a much higher percentage of their customers smoke than the percentage of the general population who are smokers. Does that mean that the smoky atmosphere is putting off non-smokers, or simply that the demographic profile of non-smokers means they are less prone to frequent pubs and bars?
I've wondered about this too. I'm also a not smoker, but wouldn't curb my social life because of not wishing to go places where my smoking friends might be, and I think that of my group of friends, fewer smoke than not. Couple of teetotallers in my bunch too, and they don't let the presence of alcohol stop them going into pubs/bars.

I wonder if that demographic would/will change if/when the ban is applied? Any observations from Ireland or Scotland anyone?

Book list | Flickr
Old 27th Oct 2005, 12:49   #6
Wavid
Administrator
befriends strangers

Send a message via AIM to Wavid Send a message via MSN to Wavid Send a message via Yahoo to Wavid Send a message via Skype™ to Wavid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger
Couple of teetotallers in my bunch too, and they don't let the presence of alcohol stop them going into pubs/bars.
No, but then someone drinking a pint in front of you is unlikely to contribute to your death, is it!

Smoking is a filthy, disgusting habit and I would be happy for it to be banned anywhere, public or private. It's pathetic that smokers consider that they have the right to inflict their stupidity onto other people. But the proposed legislation is a waste of time, unless it can be considered the thin end of the wedge as far as a ban on smoking in public goes. I find it galling that the current Health Secretary was over-ridden by the previous one (just who the hell does John Reid think he is?!) especially when that MP represents a Scottish constituency where a total ban on confined public smoking will shortly be coming into effect.

One nitwit contacted Radio 4 last night moaning that smokers' human rights were being violated, and then pointed out that a car's exhaust produces far more toxic fumes, and so were the government going to ban them too? A sane person then responded by saying that he was right, cars are just as lethal, if not more so, than cigarettes when driven in confined public spaces.
Old 27th Oct 2005, 12:59   #7
Stewart
Once known as Blixa
takes it to extremes

Send a message via MSN to Stewart

Quote:
Any observations from Ireland or Scotland anyone?
A few of my friends smoke (and are continually giving up) but we all drink so we do believe that the total ban is a good thing. It offers the chance to quit without the temptation of sipping the pint from one hand and sparking up with the other.
Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Oct 2005, 13:02   #8
NottyImp
the aging anarchist
could do better

Quote:
It offers the chance to quit without the temptation of sipping the pint from one hand and sparking up with the other.
You'll get a fervent "hear, hear!" from me on that point.
Old 27th Oct 2005, 13:05   #9
Wavid
Administrator
befriends strangers

Send a message via AIM to Wavid Send a message via MSN to Wavid Send a message via Yahoo to Wavid Send a message via Skype™ to Wavid

Quote:
ok, so this is kind of related to this thread...
...but probably deserves one of its own.
Old 27th Oct 2005, 14:02   #10
RC

Default Re: Smoking: to ban or not to ban?

I smoke and probably will go on doing so until there's nothing left to burn. Even so I agree that it's a filthy habit and I think non-smokers should be able to go to a bar without having necessarily to take a shower when they get home. The obvious answer is to have two kinds of establishments, one for non-smokers and people who can do without for a while, the other for smokers and tolerant friends. Workers who don't want to work in smokey air need not apply to the smoking places. If the non-smoking places lose business, too damn bad.

Here in Canada non-smoking legislation is quite advanced. Both municipal and provincial jurisdictions have had a go, and they've gone beyond all reason. It varies from region to region but the trend is to prohibit smoking, period. Even outdoor smoking is being curtailed. I think that's wrong. There are many other unhealthful habits which people pursue as a matter of personal choice. We smokers are being victimized.