Originally Posted by bakunin_the_cat
But I guess you may be more religious than me
Take it back!
Old 24th Nov 2004, 11:37   #12
bakunin_the_cat
Palimpsestarian
laughs in the face of fear

No offence JA.

Anyway, I've just finished The Trial and I thought I'd sum up my thoughts while it's still fresh.

Firstly, I don't think it's a bad book. It suffers if anything from not being the film which takes the idea much further, and it is the film with all its corridors and stairwells which people think of when they say Kafkaesque not the book.Also we benefit from other works which came later such as 1984 and Catch 22 which again made far more use of doublespeak and unsolvable paradoxes. Because we put all these three in the same bag, if you like, we then expect them to be in The Trial and are disappointed when they're not there which isn't really fair.

Secondly, I think Jerkass's religious analysis is quite feasible. Far more so than a State vs Individual scenario as in this world the individual has neither rights nor duties. He fumbles and gropes in the dark, and hopes that his actions will take him towards a door, but never knows if he's getting closer or further away.This could also be a metaphor for life generally. We try and do what we perceive to be the right thing but never know what the true consequences of our actions are. Positive, negative, we just don't know. But you can't change the past, or jump into the future so all you can do is keep stumbling on through the present, hoping the decisions you take aren't too bad and then depending on your religious point of view you either find the door or a light switch or just die on the spot and crumble into the dust under the feet of those who are stumbling along behind you. Kafka goes for the last option and I would tend to agree with him.
bakunin_the_cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Dec 2006, 19:56   #13
John Self
Administrator
suffers from smallness of vision

Default Re: Kafka

I wonder if Penguin will draw me back into the nightmarish world of trying-to-finish-a-book-by-Kafka with their extraordinary new Modern Classics covers, out next month...

Old 6th Dec 2006, 21:21   #14
HP
Senior Palimpsester
suckles at the teat of the Palim-God

God, I hate those! Pathetically amateurish attempts at eye-catchery ... the sweat of trying too hard drips off every overwrought pixel.
HP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Dec 2006, 23:32   #15
John Self
Administrator

Heh! Each to his own. I think they're stark and simple actually, rather than overwrought. You wouldn't want them to be like your Rabbit omnibus cover, now would you HP? No sweat of trying too hard there...
Old 7th Dec 2006, 15:46   #16
HP
Senior Palimpsester
suckles at the teat of the Palim-God

Penguin seem to have a personality disorder. They produce some gorgeous jackets - ones that are timeless and that have, I would think, universal appeal, like the silver ones, and then they produce some complete stinkers, like those above and yes - that horrid dayglow orange and grubby b/w one of the Rabbit omnibus edition. To me it just smacks of a wobbly marketing policy that's trying to cater for every segment of the market and price range - and failing. A tough act to pull off satisfactorily. Having brand identity is very important and you have to sometimes accept you can't appeal to every reader out, so chose those that give you a market edge and stick to them.
HP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Dec 2006, 16:08   #17
John Self
Administrator

The Kafkas actually are in the silver range - the spine will be traditional Modern Classics but the covers not, a bit like the new Updikes or the new Camus. (Not to be confused with the new Schmoo.) I think it's good to have internal consistency and styles which reflect each author. The silver covers are great but not always suited to the book, eg Kobo Abe's The Woman in the Dunes.
Old 7th Dec 2006, 16:39   #18
John from Paris
Palimpsestarian
laughs in the face of fear

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Self View Post
...the new Camus. (Not to be confused with the new Schmoo.)
Referring to GWB and his eckerlecktick reading?? I thought he said:

"Ker-Moo"

[Handy hint: If you want to do an authentic French "mus", put your mouth as if you're going to say "moo"... then say "mee"... ]
John from Paris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Dec 2006, 17:00   #19
John Self
Administrator

No, referring to a kid's TV cartoon of the early 1980s (which it turns out I spelt wrong).
Old 8th Dec 2006, 5:05   #20
monochrome
Junior Palimpsestarian
is starting to settle in

I heard somewhere that there were going to be new translations done of all of Kafka's works? Those covers don't mention any translator... anyone know anything about this?

Against the Day - Thomas Pynchon
A Long, Long Way - Sebastian Barry
Lost Girls - Alan Moore
monochrome is offline   Reply With Quote