Go Back   Palimpsest > Reviews > Film Reviews

Old 14th Dec 2005, 13:15   #11
NottyImp
the aging anarchist
could do better

Default Re: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

Quote:
homoseksualac
It's almost as if we share some of the same roots in our languages. Thankyou.
Old 15th Dec 2005, 21:25   #12
pandop
Palimpsestarian
eats too much cheese

Not a lot more to add, except I really liked the Weasley twins in this, even though the lack of the joke-shop plot could have repercussions

Hazel

pandop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Dec 2005, 10:05   #13
Digger
Senior Palimpsester
has the freedom of Palimp City

Send a message via MSN to Digger

Yeah I wondered about the lack of joke shop plot, espescially as it looms large come book 5 - and indeed book 4 really.

(they're also kinda cute! Grrrr)

Book list | Flickr
Digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Dec 2005, 10:56   #14
Colyngbourne
Administrator
is beyond help

I assume that they'll stick in the bit about the prize money buying the joke shop in the first few minutes of Film 5.

Although I like the twins in the films, I cannot stand them in the books. I think they are subtle bullies, who actually contribute to at least two of the most dangerous situations in book 6, both of which nearly kill one of their own siblings, and leave one scarred for life. They don't get pulled up for their selling of dangerous magical stuff (and breaking the prohibited items rule on Hogwarts). I don't think they're lovable jokers, although I think JKR regards them that way.
Old 16th Dec 2005, 12:21   #15
amner
Administrator
is beyond help

I'd agree there Col. Although I was irritated by a lot in OotP, the twins irritated me the most. I consoled myself with thinking that the magical joke shope niche market must be pretty minimal - there is, after all, one already - and they'll go bust.
Old 16th Dec 2005, 16:57   #16
Colyngbourne
Administrator
is beyond help

Quote:
Originally Posted by amner
I'd agree there Col. Although I was irritated by a lot in OotP, the twins irritated me the most. I consoled myself with thinking that the magical joke shope niche market must be pretty minimal - there is, after all, one already - and they'll go bust.
SPOILERS AHEAD FOR HALF-BLOOD PRINCE

Definitely. When you calculate how small the wizarding world is, how it could sustain *two* joke shops is ridiculous. Though in Book 6 the twins' competitor has been driven out of business by Death Eaters or something, so they are the sole purveyors of tricks etc. One of which creates pockets of instant darkness, which the baddies put to their use to infiltrate Hogwarts in the last chapters. Another of which is a rather dubious love potion, which nearly kills Ron.
Old 20th Dec 2005, 6:26   #17
amarie
has never loathed cock, and
is a Palimpsester Extraordinaire

Well, I've just been to see this and thought it was excellent. The entrance of the Durmstrang students was particularly good, and I did find myself wondering, like Col I think?, what the Hogwarts display would have been had they been visiting. I do think that for someone who hadn't read the book, some of the film might not have made much sense, but it was so visually exciting, that you'd soon forget. I agree with Jim that Neville was atrocious, and frankly, I found Emma Watson very infuriating indeed, but overall it was thoroughly enjoyable. Definitely not enough of Snape, but the potions cupboard scene was fantastic, and Mad-Eye was great. It was an entertaining film, and Cedric...mmmmmm! I don't know what CGI is, but if that means the special effects, then they were stunning. The dragon, all the underwater scenes (apart from the suspended students who really did look like mannequins) and the quite scary transformation of Voldemort - absolutely brilliant. And Trigger - an added bonus!

Old 3rd Jan 2006, 23:50   #18
chillicheese
Palimpsestarian
is a Grand High Wizard of the Palimp

Send a message via Yahoo to chillicheese

Saw this last month, the day before March Of The Penguins but only just digging up my notes from the day, they looked something like this :

...................+ve..........................................<>.............................-ve........

The comedy (canons, Ron) was good........Missing out vital details was bad

I liked the dragons...........................................I was a bit underwhelmed by the Ship

Hemione was less painful stage school.....Viktor Krum never said "Hermionininny"

Cho's Scottish Accent...................................Dumbledoor's West Country accent

Voldemort.................................................. ......Harry