Palimpsest  

Go Back   Palimpsest > User Forums > General Chat

Old 13th Feb 2004, 22:05   #1
Wavid
Administrator
befriends strangers

Send a message via AIM to Wavid Send a message via MSN to Wavid Send a message via Yahoo to Wavid Send a message via Skype™ to Wavid
Default Reading about books

Where do Palimpsesters go for their book reviews and stuff?

I had a long running sub with the London Review of Books but had to cancel it a year or so back. I find buying the Guardian can be acceptable on a Saturday, with their excellent Review section - though this can be read free on the 'net of course. Other than that I pick up a copy of the TLS now and again, and then just rely on the reviews in The Spectator <duck as amner hurls sharp object towards me>.
Old 13th Feb 2004, 22:16   #2
m.
Palimpsestarian
eats too much cheese

New York Times Review of Books - but only because I can get it free here. I don't really like their reviews - they give away a lot stuff but quite often I wonder after reading the review, so, actually, am I interested or not...?

Quick edit: Ok, several times it helped me. And maybe if I knew other English publications, my opinion would be more balanced.
Old 13th Feb 2004, 22:20   #3
John Self
Administrator
suffers from smallness of vision

I just read The Guardian and Observer review pages. Have occasionally been tempted to get the Indy on a Friday with its new Books section but haven't succumbed. My only other source is Newsnight Review, where I'll usually take an interest if they all love something: hence the shiny new copy of Tobias Wolff's Old School beside me as I type.
John Self is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Feb 2004, 9:00   #4
Colyngbourne
Administrator
is beyond help

The Indy and Indy on Sunday are usually preety good.
Colyngbourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Feb 2004, 9:30   #5
wshaw
Senior Palimpsester
could do better

Isn't it funny, though, how book review sections here and even more in the US appear to use the most newsprint on the books that are read the least, and barely mention the ones that sell the most?
wshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Feb 2004, 12:11   #6
John Self
Administrator
suffers from smallness of vision

Not necessarily. There's probably not that much to say about, for example, Patricia Cornwell's latest thriller, that will affect her readers' decisions on whether or not to buy it - though it will usually feature in a Crime Round-Up section or the like. Having said that when a really popular writer reaches the level of phenomenon, like Terry Pratchett or J.K. Rowling, then they do tend to get 'properly' reviewed.
John Self is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Feb 2004, 17:43   #7
wshaw
Senior Palimpsester
could do better

OK, fair point, but...

When I read movie review sections, there's often some film I've never heard of that sounds great. Music sections nearly always make me think - yeah! Must get that.

So how come I can't remember the last time I read about a new fiction author I'd never heard of before in a newspaper review section and thought - Mmm, how inspiring, I must seek out their oeuvre?
wshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Feb 2004, 11:16   #8
pandop
Palimpsestarian
eats too much cheese

I glance through the book reviews in whatever newspaper I happen to be reading - although for history books I do tend to use History Today and BBC History Magazine

Hazel

pandop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Feb 2004, 12:10   #9
amner
Administrator
is beyond help

Newsnight Review usually (although, with Mark Lawson, rather than Kirsty), or the Indy on Sunday. If I'm over at the Outlaws I'll look at the Sunday Telegraph/Times versions.

The Guardian online book section is also very good if I haven't had a fix in a while.
Old 2nd Mar 2004, 14:10   #10
Wavid
Administrator
befriends strangers

Send a message via AIM to Wavid Send a message via MSN to Wavid Send a message via Yahoo to Wavid Send a message via Skype™ to Wavid

Quote:
Originally Posted by wshaw
Isn't it funny, though, how book review sections here and even more in the US appear to use the most newsprint on the books that are read the least, and barely mention the ones that sell the most?
Yes but, to put a musical angle on this, would you rather read an interview with Westlife, or with Nick Cave? It's often that the more popular stuff is a little on the bland side, and so there's not so much to talk about.
Wavid is offline   Reply With Quote