Palimpsest  

Go Back   Palimpsest > Reviews > Other Reviews

Tags
andrew scott, arthur conan doyle, benedict cumberbatch, mark gatiss, martin freeman, moriarty, sherlock holmes, steven moffat, una stubbs

Old 7th May 2012, 16:11   #21
Mookse
Palimpsestarian
is hanging around suspiciously

Default Re: Sherlock

Scandal in Belgravia aired here last night and, though I've been very excited to see it for nearly two years, it didn't disappoint. I am sherlocked. I'm also already getting a bit depressed that there are only two more and then another long wait for the next series.
Old 7th May 2012, 21:36   #22
Lucoid
Senior Palimpsester
could do better

I had to buy the blu-rays to fill the gap. And my new favourite website is Sherlockology, for those times when it really gets to me: www.sherlockology.com. You can set it to not show you anything about series 2 if you want to avoid spoilers.
Old 6th Sep 2012, 16:29   #23
Digger
Senior Palimpsester
has the freedom of Palimp City

Send a message via MSN to Digger

It had me hooked from the start... everything else has been said. And it's definitely Sherlock that's the attraction of BC much as it's Jeremy Brett... or indeed Nicholas Rowe as the young SH - it's just Holmes. Wistful sigh.

When he came to jumping from St Barts I did sit up and think ooo that's just round the corner from my office (at the time) I'll catch you!

Book list | Flickr
Digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Sep 2012, 16:35   #24
Colyngbourne
Administrator
is beyond help

Apparently Moffat was giving clues out the other day in some article or other but I'd prefer to wait to be surprised. *and hooray to see you, Digger!*
Old 7th Sep 2012, 17:50   #25
Mookse
Palimpsestarian

Ah, Digger provides the missing clue! I thought I saw you standing at the corner when Holmes looked down.
Old 4th Aug 2013, 17:43   #26
Lucoid
Senior Palimpsester
could do better

With filming of the final episode of Sherlock series 3 now underway and BC popping up all over the place (from Top Gear's 'Star in a Reasonably Priced Car' race track the other week to, I believe, Piano Night on More4 yesterday), the BBC has released a teaser trailer. Enjoy!

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=llGXWIC...%3DllGXWICGsD4

No broadcast date confirmed yet.
Old 7th Jan 2014, 11:19   #27
amner
Administrator
is beyond help

We all saw Sherlock and Sherlocker, then? Jeez. 35 minutes before even a hint of plot, much flimflam and... oh, I couldn't bear it. I switched off at the half-way point.

And after defending it the previous week for the not-an-actual-explanation explanation. I wish he had jumped off the fucking roof.
Old 7th Jan 2014, 11:44   #28
David
Palimpsestarian

It was pretty poor stuff, and even more evident than usual that Sherlock and Doctor Who share the same writers - when Sherlock was prancing about at the reception playing for time whilst he sussed out who the target was, it may as well have been Matt Smith in a fez. (The New Year's Day episode on the other hand, seemed to be channeling the spirit of Hustle.)
The wedding episode was admittedly quite funny in places, but the story (if you can call it a story) was so bitty and underwhelming that I spent most of the episode thinking "I do like Watson's mac" and going off to google it and see where he'd had it from (A.P.C. apparently).
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jan 2014, 13:31   #29
amner
Administrator
is beyond help

Forcing myself to watch the second half... such a slog. Quality took a dive off the roof of Bart's, along with The Great Detective, I think.
Old 7th Jan 2014, 18:18   #30
Noumenon
Senior Palimpsester

has the freedom of Palimp City

I have to say, I am able to watch Sherlock at least, which I can't say for Doctor Who since the reboot began (but it's a close thing, and only having three eps a year helps). In this case the "mystery" was a bit compromised--only one possible target and an almost Miss Marple-style wedding murder culprit, plus silly convenience in all the strands he just happens to mention coming together--although I thought the actual method of the murder was quite a good idea*. I laughed a few times too, but as soon as he started striding around I began to weary of it somewhat.

If it hasn't been said on the Palimp before, has anyone tried Johnny Lee Miller's Elementary? I like it much more. It suffers from American TV's traditional, highly polished crime-of-the-week format, but if you strip that away there are some really good character beats evolving around the two principles. JLM plays Holmes' thorniness very well, and this is the first time I've liked Lucy Liu full stop.

* though the test run seemed a little convenient too. The soldier just took off his clothes and got in the shower without noticing the sudden haemorrhaging going on the minute his belt came off--the first thing he removed?
Noumenon is offline   Reply With Quote