Palimpsest  

Go Back   Palimpsest > User Forums > Politics & Society

Old 25th Feb 2014, 13:13   #671
Noumenon
Senior Palimpsester

has the freedom of Palimp City

Default Re: This is the News

If Scotland does go independent I might actually come back to the UK.

And move further north.
Noumenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Mar 2014, 19:08   #672
gil
Senior Palimpsester

I am Scottish, though I live in England. I don't often visit Scotland because my parents are no longer there. It will probably make very little difference to me, personally, if the vote is Yes, though I'll regret the demise of the blue bit on the Union Jack. But I think it will make a lot of difference to England in general, as well as to the Scots and other people living in Scotland, and not in a good way.

When the dust settles, Scots will realise that the mainspring of their existence - hatred of the Sassenach - is a little meaningless, and they will turn on each other with old scores to settle - SNP versus Labour, Glasgow versus Edinburgh, Macdonald versus Campbell, Protestant versus Catholic. In England, industry will find it harder to get good managers and software engineers, who have traditionally come from Scotland. It may actually become harder to emigrate to England if Scotland isn't a member of the EU. Traditionally, Scottish education turned out people like myself who found work in the wider world.

There will be years of wrangling between Westminster and Edinburgh about who gets what in the divorce settlement. Just imagine what a bonanza that will be for lawyers, accountants, estate agents, civil servants, managers of NHS facilities. Frankly, Scotland doesn't do too badly from the union in terms of subsidy versus tax. The current level of devolution seems to have disposed of many of the traditional resentments we Scots felt about Westminster. It may encourage the No vote if Scots hear that many of the less salubrious type of English person is saying "Good Riddance".

Finally, I ought to remark that a) I should have had a vote - born and bred in Scotland from Scottish parents. b) Giving 16 year olds a vote is tipping the balance a little too far. When I was 16 and living in Scotland, I'd have voted Yes too. Teenagers always vote for revolution.

I am not and have never been a member of the Conservative party, or any other party for that matter. Politicians will muck this up if they can, and no-one will benefit, whichever way the vote goes. I promise you.
gil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Mar 2014, 8:05   #673
Noumenon
Senior Palimpsester

Interesting.
Old 3rd Mar 2014, 17:25   #674
amner
Administrator
is beyond help

Quote:
Originally Posted by gil View Post
Politicians will muck this up if they can, and no-one will benefit, whichever way the vote goes. I promise you.
Amen to that.
Old 3rd Mar 2014, 23:33   #675
JunkMonkey
Senior Palimpsester
should be ashamed

Quote:
Originally Posted by gil View Post
When the dust settles, Scots will realise that the mainspring of their existence - hatred of the Sassenach - is a little meaningless,
I'm not sure it is a mainspring any more, Gil. I've been living in the Highlands for 24 ish years. Having been born in England and sounding very English - a sort of soft nondescript middle-classy Englishy accent of no real identifiable origin - I have had, I think, three moments in all that time when my 'Englishness' has been an issue. Two involved copious amounts of drink and the sort of arsehole found everywhere in the world who hates everyone who doesn't come from his side of his street - and one was a moment of wonderfully deadpan humour from a friend that just floored me.

I'm sure the 'divorce' as you describe it will be protracted and yes the politicians and lawyers will have a field day and make a meal of it. They always do.

There Are Not Seven Words In My Signature
JunkMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Mar 2014, 22:46   #676
JunkMonkey
Senior Palimpsester
should be ashamed

I think this is one of the scariest things I have read for years:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-26387276

There Are Not Seven Words In My Signature
JunkMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Mar 2014, 8:41   #677
Noumenon
Senior Palimpsester

Yikes!
Old 26th Apr 2014, 23:43   #678
lurgee
Junior Palimpsestarian
is hanging around suspiciously

this is bad. Don't these people know their Kurt Russell films. Do not mess with this voodoo bullshit!

Quote:
MACREADY ...So it crashes, and this guy, whoever he is, gets thrown out, or walks out, and ends up freezing.

CHILDS I just can't believe this voodoo bullshit. You believe this voodoo bullshit, Blair?

Blair says nothing, lost in thought.

Palmer, stoned, a joint dangling from his mouth, is searching for information through stacks of old issues of The National Enquirer and The Star.

PALMER (rambling) Happens all the time, man. They're falling out of the skies like flies. Government knows all about it... Chariots of the Gods, man... They practically own South America. I mean they taught the Incas everything they knew...

CHILDS Cool it, Palmer!!

Palmer shakes a magazine at him adamantly.

PALMER Read von Daniken! Have you read von Daniken? Get your facts straight!

Clark marvels at a particular photo.

CLARK Jesus, why would those guys ever want to leave Norway...?

Nauls skates into the room. He shakes the crumpled-up pair of long johns in his fist.

NAULS Which one you muthers been tossing his dirty underwear in the kitchen trash?!

He flings it across the room. It lands on MacReady's chess set.

NAULS I want my kitchen clean. Germ free!

Nauls spins on his skates and storms off. MacReady fetches the strangely shredded underwear and rolls it up, while Childs paces.

CHILDS So, MacReady, come on now. These Norwegian dudes come by... find him and dig him up...

MacReady tosses the ball of cloth across the room into a trash bin.

MACREADY Yeah, they dig him up and cart him back. He gets thawed out, wakes up and scares the shit out of them. And they get into one hell of a brawl...

CHILDS Now how's this motherfucker wake up after thousands of years in the ice, huh?

MACREADY (annoyed) I don't know how. Because he's different than we are. Because he's a space guy. What do you want from me, anyway. Go ask Blair.

CHILDS You buy any of this, Blair?

A beat as Blair stares straight ahead, transfixed. He speaks softly, to no one particular.

BLAIR It was here... got to that dog... It was here in this camp...

The men take in his grave countenance.

GARRY So...? So what? It's over with. Blair turns to them. A pause. The men search his face.

BENNINGS (edgy) Well, isn't it?
lurgee is offline   Reply With Quote