Palimpsest  

Go Back   Palimpsest > Reviews > Other Reviews

View Poll Results: Who is your favourite Doctor?
William Hartnell 1 2.22%
Patrick Troughton 2 4.44%
Jon Pertwee 4 8.89%
Tom Baker 15 33.33%
Peter Davison 8 17.78%
Colin Baker 0 0%
Sylvester McCoy 1 2.22%
Paul McGann 0 0%
Christopher Eccleston 8 17.78%
David Tennant 6 13.33%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 28th Dec 2013, 9:26   #1071
wshaw
Senior Palimpsester
could do better

Default Re: Doctor Who

It may have been one sherry too many at the dining table but I really didn't have a clue what was going on. They seemed to have crammed about six not very good episode ideas into one.
Old 3rd Jan 2014, 11:00   #1072
Stewart
Once known as Blixa
takes it to extremes

Send a message via MSN to Stewart

Bizarrely, I knew what was going on during this episode but was lost - and therefore lost interest - with the 50th Anniversarry episode. During the hype and build-up I tend to check out DW forums and so get recaps on all the unanswered questions (because the hardcore fans take it far too seriously!) which then gave me a grasp on this one.

However, for Capaldi's tenure, I hope that Moffat can finish with these multi-series arcs. They are not overly confusing, just easy to forget elements of and therefore get lost among all the other crap.

I sort of hope Moffat will soon relinquish his grasp and I expect the next one to take control will be Gatiss in a year or two.
Old 7th Oct 2014, 9:47   #1073
JunkMonkey
Senior Palimpsester
should be ashamed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart
I sort of hope Moffat will soon relinquish his grasp...

After Last week's Kill the Moon episode I am more than willing to pay my own bus fare to Cardiff to help pry his fingers apart.

There Are Not Seven Words In My Signature
JunkMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Oct 2014, 11:33   #1074
Colyngbourne
Administrator
is beyond help

I am totally torn over that episode, JM. And I am really unsure about the series as a whole. I like an older Doctor but Capaldi isn't really convincing me he "is" the Doctor. Sometimes his Scots accent is so strong I can't understand and he's clearly in a "personality arc" that is all about being rude and almost intent on driving Clara away. The repeated use of "shut up, shut up" from the Doctor's lips - any Doctor's - doesn't chime well with me for a children's programme.

And what was Kill the Moon about? I can forgive it the shonky science - I don't need my Doctor Who to be perfectly functional in astro-physics or even general physics (conservation of mass etc involved in a moon-egg giving birth to a dragon which lays another moon-sized, gravitationally-similar egg) - but why were the bacteria-critters shaped like spiders (and even web-building like spiders)?

I did like how this particular episode made me think though: was it about abortion, and a nudge in the direction of "a woman's right to choose"? Was it about atheism, and the world's potential to reject a God who refuses to keep interfering and denying them their self-determination. Clara wanted someone who would take the responsibility for the decision from her, and resented that he stood at a distance when he had at least an inkling if not omniscience as to how the decision would pan out. How does The Doctor's "no-one is special" fit with the current trend to assert that "everyone is special, everyone is a hero"?

I'm not keen on the dynamic of Clara being the one who is right and righteously aggrieved all the time, and the Doctor becoming someone who is so cross that we lose sight of the mystery or the enchantment of the stories. And whether Missy is "Miss Clara", or anything else, fails to intrigue me - that situation has been too pantomimish to warrant it being a serious (and yet another) story arc.

I think Capaldi is possibly too well known to become the Doctor, rather than simply playing the part of the Doctor. Although she reminds me somewhat of Ace, I don't like Clara much, and I will look forward to perhaps a male assistant next time round, please?
Old 9th Oct 2014, 14:40   #1075
JunkMonkey
Senior Palimpsester
should be ashamed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colyngbourne View Post
I am totally torn over that episode, JM. And I am really unsure about the series as a whole. I like an older Doctor but Capaldi isn't really convincing me he "is" the Doctor. Sometimes his Scots accent is so strong I can't understand and he's clearly in a "personality arc" that is all about being rude and almost intent on driving Clara away. The repeated use of "shut up, shut up" from the Doctor's lips - any Doctor's - doesn't chime well with me for a children's programme.

And what was Kill the Moon about? I can forgive it the shonky science - I don't need my Doctor Who to be perfectly functional in astro-physics or even general physics (conservation of mass etc involved in a moon-egg giving birth to a dragon which lays another moon-sized, gravitationally-similar egg) - but why were the bacteria-critters shaped like spiders (and even web-building like spiders)?

I did like how this particular episode made me think though: was it about abortion, and a nudge in the direction of "a woman's right to choose"? Was it about atheism, and the world's potential to reject a God who refuses to keep interfering and denying them their self-determination. Clara wanted someone who would take the responsibility for the decision from her, and resented that he stood at a distance when he had at least an inkling if not omniscience as to how the decision would pan out. How does The Doctor's "no-one is special" fit with the current trend to assert that "everyone is special, everyone is a hero"?

I'm not keen on the dynamic of Clara being the one who is right and righteously aggrieved all the time, and the Doctor becoming someone who is so cross that we lose sight of the mystery or the enchantment of the stories. And whether Missy is "Miss Clara", or anything else, fails to intrigue me - that situation has been too pantomimish to warrant it being a serious (and yet another) story arc.

I think Capaldi is possibly too well known to become the Doctor, rather than simply playing the part of the Doctor. Although she reminds me somewhat of Ace, I don't like Clara much, and I will look forward to perhaps a male assistant next time round, please?
I'm always surprised when people mention Capaldi's accent because I don't hear it. There was a moment in the first episode where the lesbian Lzard girl (apparently) put on a 'Scottish' accent to placate the bewildered Doctor. I didn't notice that either. But I can't understand what Capaldi is saying a great chunk of the time because of the horrible modern neo-realist mumblecore acting sound levels that have invaded the Who. (That or I'm going deaf.)

I can forgive a bit of shonky science but not shonky science piled on top of shonky science smothered in a great gooey sauce of handwavium gravy. The absurdities and stupidties so far this series just beggar belief.

And why only people on the night side of the planet earth got to vote by turning their lights off was just pathetic.

Sorry Asia. You don't count.

By that point I didn't give a toss about the moral ambiguities and all the acting at the end. (My theory is that Ms Coleman only agreed to do this series if they wrote her some episodes that showed she could do proper acting for her showreel. Karen Gillan is now heading for the Hollywood A list PDQ - I dare say Ms C wouldn't say no to a slice of that action. How else to explain the gratuitous speedramp running down the corridor with pyrotechnics going off in the background. Look! I'm an action heroine!)

It's all cynical bollocks. Not fun any more.

There Are Not Seven Words In My Signature
JunkMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Jan 2015, 7:56   #1076
Lucoid
Senior Palimpsester
could do better

Hi Smith, and welcome! I'm not sure about mindblowing but it was certainly much better than previous Christmas specials, which have been distinctly twee.