Palimpsest  

Go Back   Palimpsest > Reviews > Book Reviews

Old 23rd Jul 2009, 20:59   #1
The Owl
Junior Palimpsestarian
is starting to settle in

Default Michael Connelly

What does anyone think of Michael Connelly, the writer of the Harry Bosch detective novels? Just got hold of a couple of his books - including the strikingly titled City of Bones - and am going to check him out. I notice there are no topics on him.

Does his work have the dramatic richness, the complexity, the poetry of James Lee Burke (the great Dave Robicheaux and Billy Bob Holland novels) and John Connolly (of the supernaturally themed Charlie Parker books)?

Or does he "just" write good procedural page turners, good popular fiction (ala Peter James and probably Ian Rankin). Or is there a bit of both? I understand as an ex journalist he has a very brisk writing style...
The Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Jul 2009, 21:34   #2
Ang
Senior Palimpsester
suckles at the teat of the Palim-God

Default Re: Michael Connelly

I have only read a few of Michael Connelly's books. I thought The Poet was excellent but its sequel The Narrows was not nearly as good. I liked The Lincoln Lawyer but I have not tried his latest in the legal eagle line - I think there is a new one.
Old 24th Jul 2009, 13:09   #3
The Owl
Junior Palimpsestarian
is starting to settle in

Apparently Connelly was inspired by the James Lee Burke books, as was the brilliant John Connolly. If you go on John Connoly's website and click on "Author Interviews", you will find a good interview by Connolly of Connelly (confusing, I know).

Connelly seems to be very brisk, businesslike in his writing. I like the empathy for the victims in City of Bones. For instance Bosch has an accident, hurts his ribs, finds out that the skeletal remains found in the hills showed evidence of rib damage - with every breath he is reminded of the victim: the characterisation seems to be very economical, very tied to the job. He seems to waste nothing, a no bullshit writer, but perhaps some readers will find it a bit stripped down - lacking the vividly drawn characters of the Burke and Connolly books. I'm only 60 pages in, and every scene has been at work, for instance.
Old 29th Jul 2009, 10:55   #4
The Owl
Junior Palimpsestarian
is starting to settle in

Very good book. I was surprised where this went with Harry's romance with Julia Brasher, the rookie cop. City of Bones takes Harry to some painful places. While it's a police procedural, it gets into the personal life, and it gets into the departmental politics. It's not a very visual novel, however; that's one thing I noticed.
Old 24th Sep 2009, 20:27   #5
The Owl
Junior Palimpsestarian
is starting to settle in

Recently read Echo Park, another excellent Harry Bosch novel, by Connelly. Like City of Bones, this has some very atmospheric set pieces, has an authentic air of danger, especially the climax in which Harry must confront a killer in quite frightening circumstances that reminds him of his time as a 'Nam tunnel rat. I also like the internal politics, the grappling for position among Bosch's colleagues, and the murky motivations, resulting in the lack of credit that Bosch gets for catching a killer. It is quite a bitter pill, at times. And also the fallibility of Bosh's colleagues, the way in which they can get it wrong in critical situations on the job (namely his partner Kiz Rider).

Connelly's Nine Dragons comes out soon (Oct 1, in the UK): Bosch in Hong Kong, on a case extremely personal, his daughter.

Checking out The Overlook, Chasing the Dime and The Brass Verdict next.
Old 18th Nov 2009, 11:34   #6
The Owl
Junior Palimpsestarian
is starting to settle in

michael connelly, i feel as i read more of his books, is an excellent author. his work was endorsed by the great james lee burke. burke's protagonist, dave robicheaux, reads connelly's Black Echo and feels that it's "a fine novel." in Burke's Crusader's Cross, that is. burke also gave the sequel, The Black Ice, the thumbs up, calling it "an extraordinary story...one of the most authentic pieces of crime fiction", etc etc, in a review.

connelly's Harry Bosch series is excellent. Black Echo is vivid, especially with its references to music ("Purple Haze", following a tunnel shootout) and painting (Edward Hopper's Nighthawks). Black Ice is a riveting, faster paced thriller with a gritty Mexican setting. Concrete Blonde, back in Hollywood, in which Harry is on trial for shooting an unarmed serial killer, while trying to solve a copycat, is very gritty. A prostitite is found encased in concrete. Everything is withered away, apart from her enhanced breasts! In Last Coyote, Bosch is on stress leave, for shoving his boss's head through a window; between sessions with his psychologist & hallucinations of a coyote, he tries to solve the murder of his mother, from years back. (perhaps some ellroy-influence here.) Bosch's house is damaged by earthquake and condemned - yet he still lives in it - gritty and obsessive stuff!...Lost Light is my fave. Harry has quit the force. Working as private eye. For this book, Connely switches from usual 3rd person, to 1st person. We get Harry from a different perspective. This book has a riveting climactic shootout, in which one villain gets it in the face with a shotgun.
Old 18th Nov 2009, 17:59   #7
saliotthomas
Palimpian of the Year

deserves a medal

I did not read any Connelly and don't plan to in a near or far future but seing you all alone in here i just pop in to keep you company.
I also admire your tenacity in promoting an already very famous author in one of the only place he obviously generate so little interest.
We all need goals and challenges.

I'm thinking of starting a thread on David Gemmell and by doing so, begin my own carrier of solo poster.

saliotthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Nov 2009, 20:08   #8
The Owl
Junior Palimpsestarian
is starting to settle in

definitely, not much response. however, given i've been reading a # of them of recent - been having a break from proust and conrad, some light reading - it helps me get my opinions straight, posting on here...

Void Moon is the best of his books, IMO. a non Bosch book. a riveting chase thriller, with superbly atmospheric cat & mouse between well hcaracterized thief and PI/psycho, a high tech equivalent to No Country for Old Men, minus the old times blather. some very poetic images in this book. more than just a popular, mainstream thriller.
Old 18th Nov 2009, 20:34   #9
John Self
Administrator
suffers from smallness of vision

Quote:
Originally Posted by saliotthomas View Post
I'm thinking of starting a thread on David Gemmell and by doing so, begin my own carrier of solo poster.
I think you'll find I got there first with my Patricia Highsmith thread!
Old 18th Nov 2009, 20:51   #10
saliotthomas
Palimpian of the Year

deserves a medal

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Self View Post
I think you'll find I got there first with my Patricia Highsmith thread!
Impressive !

saliotthomas is offline   Reply With Quote