Palimpsest  

Go Back   Palimpsest > User Forums > General Chat

Old 17th Jan 2007, 15:22   #21
Digger
Senior Palimpsester
has the freedom of Palimp City

Send a message via MSN to Digger
Default Re: Irritating writing styles.

Ah, thank you Col... I use them too!!!!!!

Book list | Flickr
Digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jan 2007, 15:24   #22
Colyngbourne
Administrator
is beyond help

I use them myself in e-mails and messenger chats because they're more expressive sometimes. It's just the over-use that narks me.
Old 17th Jan 2007, 15:24   #23
HP
Senior Palimpsester
suckles at the teat of the Palim-God

But I bet you wouldn't use - or rather, overuse - them (or exclamation marks, of course) in any fictional writing you do, would you? I think we all tend to dash things off here without too much attention being paid to the style of it all. And we fall into easy comfortable habits that aren't necessarily the best form, but that's hardly a crime, surely. That said yes, down with txt spk, I agree. Horrid abomination that it is - except for Btw and imho which are perfectly alright (for the very spurious reason that I sometimes use 'em!) But writing fiction is a very different matter. It's a performance piece where you naturally pay far more care to the phrasing and presentation and writing style than you do with informal forum chatter. Or am I just finding an excuse to be lazy?
HP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jan 2007, 15:30   #24
amarie
has never loathed cock, and
is a Palimpsester Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP View Post
But writing fiction is a very different matter. It's a performance piece where you naturally pay far more care to the phrasing and presentation and writing style than you do with informal forum chatter. Or am I just finding an excuse to be lazy?
Not at all. I think most of us on the Palimp offer up very presentable posts, although do you remember Skinned Teen? Well, anyway, I don't think forum chatter has to be perfect, and there are some dreadful ones out there, but writing fiction - if you didn't pay much attention to phrasing etc, you'd end up with something that could have been penned by Sean Wright.
amarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jan 2007, 15:38   #25
Daveybot
Senior Palimpsester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colyngbourne View Post
Ellipses............
JKR was terribly fond of these in HP & the Order of the Phoenix, and she hasn't quite shaken the habit. She was overkeen on SHOUTING in that one too, and only Owen Meany should have exclusive use of that.
I'm terribly guilty of the over-use of 'em.

...Normally at the beginnings of lines.
Daveybot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jan 2007, 15:59   #26
davidp
Junior Palimpsestarian
is a Regular

I don't like the use or erms in writing. They're usually used by people trying to be superior but in an insufferably patronising, almost apologetic, way.
For example, if I were to mention as an aside to something else the Wall Street Crash of 1928, I may get the response:
Erm.. er... I think you'll find it was 1929. Then there might be a smiley added for that extra excruciating condescension.
The other use of them is just as bad, when people think the use of them makes their writing quirkier or funnier (Guardian Pass Notes is a good example). It doesn't. It's lazy and unoriginal.
Old 17th Jan 2007, 17:13   #27
gil
Senior Palimpsester

Well... I freely confess to a love of ellipses, but they should only be used with three dots. Not two, not four or more.

And, yes, I sometimes use <mode=(for example)rant> in posts, but only on the net where people kind of "get" the idiom. </mode> But you will notice that I always close the tag afterwards.

I shall continue to use ellipses, indicating a pause for a beat or two, even when I'm writing prose. I believe it to be a valid punctuation symbol, like a long comma.

But, in deference to the non-techy tendency of Palimpsest, I shall desist from pseudo-HTML on this forum.
gil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jan 2007, 17:19   #28
Colyngbourne
Administrator
is beyond help

Quote:
Originally Posted by gil View Post
Well... I freely confess to a love of ellipses, but they should only be used with three dots. Not two, not four or more.

I shall continue to use ellipses, indicating a pause for a beat or two, even when I'm writing prose. I believe it to be a valid punctuation symbol, like a long comma.
I agree totally. It's only an excess of them I find difficult: a bouquet of ellipses.
Old 17th Jan 2007, 17:22   #29
amarie
has never loathed cock, and
is a Palimpsester Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by gil View Post
And, yes, I sometimes use <mode=(for example)rant> in posts, but only on the net where people kind of "get" the idiom. </mode> But you will notice that I always close the tag afterwards.
He he!
amarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jan 2007, 19:16   #30
leyla
Senior Palimpsester
could do better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger View Post
As one who is somewhat guilty of using too many exclamation marks...
In your hands, Digger, they're only ever endearing because of your Tiggerish optimism and charm. I was referring more to self important people who drone on and on and on, and slap their thighs metaphorically every few sentences in peals of laughter at their own wit. Groan. I'm thinking the written equivalent of Ruby Wax, the relentless unfunny gabbing of Kathy Lette, entries on friendsreunited where people add exclamation marks after every sentence, people who have 'You Don't Have To Be Mad To Work Here But It Helps!' signs, and, yes, almost all text speak.
leyla is offline   Reply With Quote