Palimpsest  

Go Back   Palimpsest > User Forums > Politics & Society

Old 28th Sep 2005, 3:22   #21
idioteque
Banned
is hanging around suspiciously

Default Re: Are the Tories doomed?

I read today about the old dear who's gone to prison rather than pay proportion of her Council Tax to subsidise an elderly muslim drop in centre that, at a cost of 24K p/a has had just 10 drop in's. There are areas of land put aside for new assylum centres (no associated extension to school budgets, local healthcare etc).

We may scoff but these stories will re-appear; and because there isn't a comfortable answer to uncomfortable issues the tories or indeed any credible alternative has the upper hand.
idioteque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Sep 2005, 10:30   #22
amner
Administrator
is beyond help

I'm not sure the phrase 'credible alternative' really fits viz the Tories, does it?

Also, we might be talking about different old dears, but didn't she go to clink (and has now been released) because her tax was simply too high?
Old 28th Sep 2005, 10:43   #23
John Self
Administrator
suffers from smallness of vision

I too haven't heard about the Muslim drop-in centre element of the story, which could be either because it's true and the lily-livered liberal media that I get my news from (ie the BBC and the Guardian) don't report it, or because it's not true and idioteque's source (Mail? Times? Torygraph?) made it up. Or they could of course be completely different stories.

The size of budgets for education, health and asylum are all controlled by central government and are nothing to do with council tax. My understanding is that there have been huge increases in healthcare and education budgets and anyone I know who works in the health or education sectors says the noticeable difference is enormous. As for the asylum centres thing, this sounds like a right-wing Catch-22: if more centres are built to process applicants, then the govt is criticised for spending too much money on asylum; if more centres aren't built, then the govt is criticised for either not having the capacity to process applicants so they 'escape' into the grey economy, or alternatively is criticised for putting them up in 'deluxe' B&Bs.
Old 28th Sep 2005, 21:03   #24
NottyImp
the aging anarchist
could do better

Quote:

...in the health or education sectors says the noticeable difference is enormous.
Not in FE, John. We're suffering swingeing cuts.
Old 28th Sep 2005, 21:05   #25
NottyImp
the aging anarchist
could do better

Quote:

I'm not sure the phrase 'credible alternative' really fits viz the Tories, does it?

Indeed. Anyone who knows me even passingly will know that I have little time for mainstream politics, but the Tories have less quality than about them now than at any point I can remember.
Old 29th Sep 2005, 10:07   #26
idioteque
Banned
is hanging around suspiciously

I was going to vote for the ceilidh party but it turns out that one of them's on the fiddle...........

I think the next election will unfortunately see a lurch to the right by the various parties posturing for that 'middle England' vote (whatever that is). And yesterday's unseemely incident at the Labour conference is bound to show up in a few side swipes.

Oh and the old dear story was via the wonders of daytime television; and variously comes across as tax too high; basis of property value for tax being wrong; or opposition to specific areas of council funding depending on your media source of choice.
idioteque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Sep 2005, 10:46   #27
NottyImp
the aging anarchist
could do better

Quote:

And yesterday's unseemely incident at the Labour conference is bound to show up in a few side swipes.

Especially as he was a refugee from Nazi Germany, and was held briefly under anti-terrorism laws. Tony is apologising profusely...
Old 29th Sep 2005, 11:04   #28
HP
Senior Palimpsester
suckles at the teat of the Palim-God

Tony has a lot to apologise for. Not least the blatant bloody lies over Iraq. The fact he has been allowed to continue in office since that debacle says much about the abject apathy of British voters. When oh when will we be given a party and a leader who dares speak the truth no matter how unpalatable. Sod the right/left/centre labels - a truthful, compassionate administration should rise above such prejudicial nonsenses. But we're so used to being lied to, so inured to spin and mendacity, so bullied and blinded into aligning ourselves into the left, right and centre camps crap, hurling insults as those marked under a different box, that we no longer have the energy to even raise an eyebrow at flagrant iniquities and the appalling self-interest and woeful cackhandedness of our so-called leaders.

Last edited by HP; 29th Sep 2005 at 11:26.
HP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Sep 2005, 13:09   #29
NottyImp
the aging anarchist
could do better

Quote:

But we're so used to being lied to, so inured to spin and mendacity, so bullied and blinded into aligning ourselves into the left, right and centre camps crap, hurling insults as those marked under a different box, that we no longer have the energy to even raise an eyebrow at flagrant iniquities and the appalling self-interest and woeful cackhandedness of our so-called leaders.
It's almost as if they want it that way, isn't it?
Old 29th Sep 2005, 13:24   #30
HP
Senior Palimpsester
suckles at the teat of the Palim-God

Y'know - I think you could be right on the button there, Notty. It's because it's just so much easier to tut-tut or turn a blind eye to the abysmal quality of this government - and all the equally hopeless alternatives, arguing amongst themselves in the wings, that the great unwashed are happy to do so rather than make a stand and change things for the better.
HP is offline   Reply With Quote