Palimpsest  

Go Back   Palimpsest > Reviews > Book Reviews

Old 12th Jan 2009, 5:27   #1
ions
Palimpsestarian
has nowt better to do

Default Craig Ferguson

Since a lot of you are UK based he's not exactly new to you guys, not that he's new over here either but anyway, here's my shot at his novel, Between the Bridge and the River by Craig Ferguson, my book report:

This is a novel about faith and redemption. About capital F Faith and faith that whatever will happen will happen so we may as well be nice to each other along the way. It's a question of science, "given the mass-to-wingspan of a bumblebee, it is impossible for the creature to fly. Yet it does. And that's where deus ex machina makes its appearance. This book is full of that magic thing that makes it all ok, not that it's not put together conveniently, in fact this is where the complexity that exists in it lies. In making the deus ex machina the most logical thing to happen happen plots are intertwined and time is manipulated - "only linear for engineers and referees" after all. What you want for the characters to happen happens. And you'll want good things for them because you like them. As bawdy, crass as they are when they do the bad things they do they're very likable. Personable.

This book has allusion and reference to keep the literary happy, I was at least as I came across nodes of reference and paths I could explore. It's intelligent and funny. Definitely funny. Dirty. Good dirty. Craig even managed to pull off one of writing's most difficult things - the sex scene. There are some foibles, some repetition that I found awkward even though it appears to be intentional it wasn't always needed. That repetition took away from the moments where a recurring phrase had real poignancy. He does rely on cliché more often than I prefer but it's not obtrusive.

Admittedly I have some bias. I've been watching the Late Late Show regularly for a while and I adore the guy. He's funny, sincere and very endearing. I've ripped his material off several times with the ladies and it's worked well. If I had the blue eyes and the Scottish accent I'd be a mac daddy or something cool like that. That said you will see the show in the novel. You will come across material you've heard before if you've watched the show and some opinions that lie contrary to those he's espoused on the show. Blurbed on the back by Mitch Albom it says "you will know Craig Ferguson is not a talk-show host moonlighting as an author-it might be the other way around" and while I don't agree with the premise of an either or scenario this isn't a celebrity novel. This is a novel that deserves publication regardless of an established celebrity status.

Here's a youtube clip where someone has matched an emotive little tune, which I rather like, to an animation based on a scene in the book, therefore there are spoilers but also a peek at the story beneath

At the end of the edition I have there is a readers guide with questions by the author some more difficult than others and I'm going to cop out and answer one of the easier ones Craig poses because I think it's a good facet to approach this book that looks at fiction which is true even if if most of it didn't happen.

"Is fictional sex better than the real thing?" Only if you've never had the real thing.
ions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jan 2009, 6:55   #2
Noumenon
Senior Palimpsester

has the freedom of Palimp City

Default Re: Craig Ferguson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ions View Post
I've ripped his material off several times with the ladies and it's worked well.
The sex scene?
Noumenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jan 2009, 7:18   #3
ions
Palimpsestarian
has nowt better to do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noumenon View Post
The sex scene?
No, I have my own bad material for that scene.
Old 12th Jan 2009, 12:35   #4
Quink
Palimpsestarian
is a palimpsestin' fool!

So, it is the same Craig Ferguson, the Scottish comedian I haven't seen around for ages. And that's what he's being doing then ? Is this his first novel ?
Quink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jan 2009, 12:52   #5
John Self
Administrator
suffers from smallness of vision

I think so Quink. I remember him as a comedian too (quite a good one). I think he became a TV host in the US.
Old 12th Jan 2009, 13:53   #6
Beth
Senior Palimpsester
suckles at the teat of the Palim-God

He ''walked off'' the game show briefly last week when his partner at Password didn't recognize the word ''Edinburgh''.

Here it is!

Sorry for the commercial before the clip...
Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jan 2009, 16:49   #7
ions
Palimpsestarian
has nowt better to do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quink View Post
So, it is the same Craig Ferguson, the Scottish comedian I haven't seen around for ages. And that's what he's being doing then ? Is this his first novel ?
Yes it is. He's been hosting The Late Late Show, the one that's on after Dave, for the last 4 years. No idea if it goes out to the UK. The book was published in 2006.
Old 15th Jan 2009, 22:55   #8
JunkMonkey
Senior Palimpsester
should be ashamed

I have a treasured early tape of his: Bing Hitler Live at the Tron. I still steal jokes from it from time to time - in the sure and certain knowledge that no one will know where I pinched them from. He's made a few movies too - none worth renting.

There Are Not Seven Words In My Signature
JunkMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote