Palimpsest  

Go Back   Palimpsest > User Forums > General Chat

Old 15th Jun 2007, 20:43   #1
Lizzy Siddal
Palimpsestarian
is a palimpsestin' fool!

Default Edinburgh Book Festival 2007

So the postman brought the program this morning ..... and I'm needing to negotiate an overdraft if I'm to attend everything on my wishlist.

I need to get realistic before Tuesday (when the tickets go on sale).

Just wondering which tickets are we going to be fighting over this year?
Old 15th Jun 2007, 21:20   #2
paddyjoe
Palimpsestarian
is a palimpsestin' fool!

Default Re: Edinburgh Book Festival 2007

Yes, its that time again! Hoping to get tickets for Ian McEwan, Jim Crace, Alan Bennett, Hari Kunzru, Pat Barker and Richard Dawkins - for starters. Like Lizzy, I need an overdraft if I want to attend all the events on my list.

See you there, Lizzy? And hope to see some other palimpers there this year.
12 11
paddyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Jun 2007, 8:27   #3
Ang
Senior Palimpsester
suckles at the teat of the Palim-God

I'm just so angry at them this year - they had a brilliant Friends program which they have replaced with something not nearly as good but twice the price. I received the programme of events on Wednesday, with priority booking opening on Thursday. With a family of four, it takes a while to decide what we want to see and whether we can do the timing. But we managed to make some decisions in that short time. So I try to ring on Thursday. Can I get through? No. "The queue is full" - no option to hold. Friday I was out all day at a conference, so now I am waiting until 9:30 to see if I can get through today. It's a shambles, and yes I have let them know.

I go to quite a few lit fests and I have always praised Edinburgh as the one which does it right all around. I'm changing my mind now. If I hadn't already booked two weeks' accommodation, I would not have signed up for the Friends package this year. If I can't get through today, I'll be getting my money back and take my chances with normal booking.

If any of you try to book on Tuesday and your event is sold out, please let me know. They limit priority booking to two seats per event because they want to make sure non-Friends can get tickets. How the heck am I supposed to plan for four people when I can only get two tickets? So, if you can't get tickets on Tuesday, they've failed that too.
Old 16th Jun 2007, 10:25   #4
Kimberley
Senior Palimpsester
could do better

I'm going to be in Edinburgh for a week but have loads of other things to do there so will only be at the festival for a couple of days. I'm still deciding which ones. I'd really like to see Ian McEwan and Margaret Atwood but I can't find them on in the same week. (I'm greatly disadvantaged by having to use the PDF program on a computer that's having a Go Slow day today.)

ETA: the writers I'd like to see include Atwood, McEwan, Joyce Carol Oates, Richard Ford, Michael Frayn, Will Self, Graham Swift, Pat Barker, Ian Rankin, Andrew O'Hagan, Iain Banks, Kate Atkinson, and for the lit-critter still lurking within me, Terry Eagleton. (Not asking much, am I? )
Kimberley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Jun 2007, 10:50   #5
Lizzy Siddal
Palimpsestarian
is a palimpsestin' fool!

Ang

I'm pretty sure that some of "my" events will be sold out by the time I can access the booking form on Tuesday evening.

However, my wishlist is finalised - 12 events over 7 days. Thank goodness for Edinburgh's Park and Ride facility which makes driving to Edinburgh affordable.

Matches with Paddyjoe's list: Kunzru, Barker and Crace.
Other must-attends: Alexander McCall Smith (because he's lovely), Jo Nesbo, Edward De Bono, Daniel Kehlmann, Valerie Martin/Ann Patchett
Events to attend (but won't cry about if I fail to get a ticket): Jennifer Donnelly, Karen Connelly, James Tait Black Awards, Lionel Shriver.

Once the tickets are secured, I can work out how many books I need to read between now and then ......
Old 16th Jun 2007, 11:19   #6
Lizzy Siddal
Palimpsestarian
is a palimpsestin' fool!

Just seen your post, Kimberley.

This is gearing up nicely for a mini day out ..... provided we all get our tickets to Pat Barker .....
Old 16th Jun 2007, 11:30   #7
Ang
Senior Palimpsester
suckles at the teat of the Palim-God

I have now managed to get through on the priority booking line and booked what I want, but must take my chances and try to get the extra tickets I need for some of the same events since I could only book two at a time.

I have booked many children's events, and for adult events, I have booked:

Graham Swift
Margaret Atwood
Ian Rankin
Michael Frayn
Germaine Greer
Richard Dawkins
Richard Ford
Ian McEwan

I still need to try to get one extra ticket for all of these so that I don't have to leave one of the kids out. The person I booked with didn't think it would be a problem because they are only allowing so many to go to Friends so that there are plenty left for the public. Yes, that does mean that despite giving them £150 for Friends Level Three, there are some events that are already sold to the allocation of Friends and if they were ones I wanted, I would not have been able to priority book them. Did I mention it's a shambles?

There are many more authors I would like to see, but I have learned from experience not to do too many in one day with kids, and we also have relatives in Scotland, so I need to leave some days free.

Anyway, I look forward to meeting some of you there, and hopefully I will have stopped complaining about the Friends scheme by then! I get half price coffee so I'll buy! (They'll probably limit me to two).
Old 16th Jun 2007, 12:15   #8
Kimberley
Senior Palimpsester
could do better

Meant to say,

the program is online at

http://www.edbookfest.co.uk/pdf/edinburgh_book_festival_2007.pdf
Kimberley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Jun 2007, 14:18   #9
leyla
Senior Palimpsester
could do better

Hooray, looking forward to the MBDO. I received the Fringe programme last week (free with the Sunday Times) and though I have learnt through experience that experimental amateur theatre is not my thang, there are some wonderful photography exhibitions on and a couple of art ones that look worth a visit.
leyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Jun 2007, 15:06   #10
Colyngbourne
Administrator
is beyond help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ang View Post
I have booked many children's events.
Which ones?