Palimpsest  

Go Back   Palimpsest > Reviews > Film Reviews

Old 3rd Aug 2007, 0:06   #1
beer good
Palimpsestarian
could do better

Default Black Sheep

"There are 40 million sheep in New Zealand. And they're pissed off!"

This may be the greatest movie in the history of mankind. I wouldn't lie to ewe; it pushes every one of my muttons.

A thousand pardons. I'll try to avoid the bad sheep puns.

Seriously, though - if that word belongs within a 100 feet of this movie - this is indeed a great idea: a New Zealand sheep farm is infected by genetically altered sheep who suddenly come down with a taste for human flesh. Suddenly the people on it find that they're outnumbered 100 to 1 by wooly vicious ovines, and it's up to our hero - who's deathly afraid of sheep even before - and a couple of vegan hippies to stop them before they spread to all millions of sheep on the island. They better be careful though, because if they get bitten, they will turn into - guess! - SHEEP!

Granted, it's not so much a new idea as a slightly different (and possibly insane) spin on one that's been used in hundreds of movies already; it's basically An American Werewolf In London cross-bred with Bad Taste in sheep's clothing. But since neither John Landis nor Peter Jackson seem to be making this sort of movie anymore, I really don't care if it doesn't QUITE measure up to the standards set by those movies. It's still got lots of snappy dialogue, buckets of blood, guts and severed limbs, not to mention hundreds of sheep attacking in formation. It's not a masterpiece, but it's a hell of a lot of fun. Quite simply, shear entertainment.

Goodreads (2013 and older)
Movies I've seen
beer good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Aug 2007, 0:27   #2
BiNS
Palimpsestarian
is a Grand High Wizard of the Palimp

Default Re: Black Sheep

I hope this film doesn't have the same disastrous effect on Wales as Jaws did on Cornish beach holidays in the 70's.