Palimpsest  

Go Back   Palimpsest > Reviews > Other Reviews

Old 7th Jul 2011, 3:10   #181
Paul
Palimpsestarian
is a Palimpsester Extraordinaire

Default Re: The Wire - Spoiler Free

Gil, if you have the DVDs, they do have subtitles. I know, because we used them for the entire series.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jul 2011, 10:02   #182
amner
Administrator
is beyond help

I used the subtitles throughout, also.
Old 8th Jul 2011, 0:11   #183
gil
Senior Palimpsester
has the freedom of Palimp City

Thanks, guys, we won't try again till the titles are available.
gil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jul 2011, 17:32   #184
chillicheese
Palimpsestarian
is a Grand High Wizard of the Palimp

Send a message via Yahoo to chillicheese

Just got Season 2 from LoveFilm, so that's another evening of the week lost to box sets. Have to say, after years of really not watching much TV, The Wire, Sopranos, Curb and Mad Men have made me realise it's not all bad.

and subtitles is the only way to go Yo!
Old 31st Aug 2012, 1:56   #185
Lex Luthor
Junior Palimpsestarian
is starting to settle in

Got the entire boxset of The Wire for Christmas, but only just started to watch it 3 days ago. By rights, I should be watching S1 ep4 tonight, but as my wife is away tonight I promised I would wait til tomorrow. I've got through tonight by watching the commentaries of episodes 1 and 2 by David Simon and Clark Johnson (the former being far more informative as it goes). Definitely hooked from the start!

I've become quite fascinated by Baltimore as a locale (Simon talks about the city a lot in his commentary). Prior to watching, I knew Baltimore to be a tough city lacking the glamour associated with other major US cities, but a quick potted history via Wikipedia revealed some very interesting pegs on which to hang some of the details surrounding setting, dialogue and indeed dialect. Hats off to the production team for creating a series filmed wherever possible in the real locations of the story!
Old 1st Sep 2012, 12:02   #186
Colyngbourne
Administrator
is beyond help

We were given the entire boxset at Xmas too, from our kids, and since they had never seen it themselves, we set out this summer hols to watch through the whole lot. So far we're half-way through Season 3 (and everyone's loving it) and we have three weeks left to complete before Older Daughter goes away to uni.

What's lovely second time around is seeing how cleverly and gradually you tune into the characters and the complications of their lives; and just how grim West Baltimore is as a locale.
Old 8th Sep 2012, 0:43   #187
Lex Luthor
Junior Palimpsestarian
is starting to settle in

Col, it took you a second viewing to realise how grim West Baltimore is?!
Seriously though, I am continually shocked by the abject poverty seen in many areas of the US. The courtyards, the low-rises and high-rises, as representations of drug-addled hell, are thoroughly depressing. I have worked in a primary school in the west end of Newcastle for the last 6 years, but even as one of the UK's most deprived cities, none of it looks like West Baltimore. It would not be fair to judge the city on the basis of a drama depicting the worst example of drug dealing and its associated criminality, but the poverty on display in documentary film-making in the US would suggest it's a pretty accurate portrayal.

Anyway, just finished watching episode 11 (The Hunt) and I wanted to post because one scene in particular really made me well up. It shouldn't be a spoiler to refer to the scene when Bubbs reveals the $20 bill in his pocket. I am in total admiration of the ensemble acting, the direction and the storytelling that gets its audience to a point (within 11 episodes, remember) where we care enough about the actions of a character who is only playing a small part in a much, much bigger story.
Old 8th Sep 2012, 9:24   #188
Colyngbourne
Administrator
is beyond help

No But you forget just how grim. I've visited Camden, south Philly, before now a couple of times and that's pretty much like West Baltimore in some ways: low-rises and corners, huge murder rate/annum (though slightly less in the last couple of years, I believe), and huge attempts by the local church and community to provide an alternative.

I totally cried for the second time at the penultimate couple of episodes of Season 2 re F Sobotka.