Palimpsest  

Go Back   Palimpsest > User Forums > General Chat

Old 31st Dec 2012, 10:24   #1
Colyngbourne
Administrator
is beyond help

Default Recent Purchases 2013

Ahoy the New Year and spending of Christmas book-tokens etc...
Old 11th Jan 2013, 13:17   #2
David
Palimpsestarian
is hanging around suspiciously

Default Re: Recent Purchases 2013

First purchases of the new year:

David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Jan 2013, 11:10   #3
Colyngbourne
Administrator
is beyond help

Old 17th Jan 2013, 10:29   #4
m.
Palimpsestarian
eats too much cheese

Inspired by Col's great review I bought The Blue Flower. Alas, I'm afraid it has to wait - I've no free time now.
Old 17th Jan 2013, 10:43   #5
amner
Administrator
is beyond help

Ah, you got Wildwood, Col. Excellent.
Old 19th Jan 2013, 13:23   #6
David
Palimpsestarian

With the exception of the Charles Baxter stories and Love is a Canoe these were all picked up for two or three quid each from various places online. I enjoyed reading Patrick Somerville's second collection of short stories recently (The Universe in Miniature in Miniature) so I'm particularly looking forward to reading his earlier Trouble:

Old 31st Jan 2013, 13:02   #7
David
Palimpsestarian

Sarah Armstrong's Salt Rain: I recently finished reading Charlotte Wood's wonderful novel The Submerged Cathedral (), which was shortlisted in 2005 for Australia's Miles Franklin Award. Last year I read Andrew McGahan's The White Earth () which won in the same year. As both books were so good I now want to read the rest of the shortlist - of which Salt Rain was one - as it seems like it might have been a vintage year (one of the other shortlisted books was Gail Jones's Sixty Lights, also longlisted for the Booker). A bit of an obscure reading goal I know, but it ties in nicely with my ongoing aim of reading more Australian fiction.

Georgia Blain's Closed for Winter: I hadn't realised this, but Allen & Unwin is one of the publishers signed up to Amazon's print on demand service. Which is great in one way as it means lots of titles that would be otherwise difficult or expensive to get hold of are now readily available, but the quality really isn't that marvellous. Amazon claim the books will be "virtually indistinguishable" from the versions put out by their original publishers, but I'm guessing a bona fide Australian printing of this book would not have such a high gloss and slightly blurry cover, and would be better bound.

Last edited by David; 16th Mar 2013 at 13:20.
Old 5th Feb 2013, 23:15   #8
elwood
Palimpsestarian
deserves a medal

Default Continuum's (Bloomsbury Publishing) 33⅓ Series...

Two books from Continuum's 33⅓ Series... written about the Pixies' Doolittle and Nirvana's In Utero.

Old 12th Feb 2013, 13:24   #9
David
Palimpsestarian

A couple of modern Australian classics: Joan Lindsay's Picnic at Hanging Rock and George Johnston's My Brother Jack.

Charlotte Wood's The Children: having been very impressed by The Submerged Cathedral which I read recently, I'm keen to see what her other books are like.

Corinna Vallianatos's My Escapee won the 2011 Grace Paley Prize for short fiction (selected by Jhumpa Lahiri) and has had some good reviews, so I'm looking forward to giving it a try. And it's another book from one of the American university presses, who I'm coming to realise not only publish some excellent fiction, but often have some of the nicest produced books.

Pete Fromm is a name that has cropped up a few times on reviews/endorsements on the back of books I've enjoyed lately so I thought I'd see what his work is like. Night Swimming is a collection of short stories from 1999 that I managed to pick up very cheaply.

Another two recent collections of American short fiction: The Beach at Galle Road by Joanna Luloff and Edith Pearlman's Binocular Vision.

And Lost Voices by Christopher Koch, which I'm currently reading and loving. It's set in Tasmania, partly in 1950 and partly in 1854 and is a proper page-turner. It also features this rather wonderful painting on the cover ("Bushrangers, Victoria, Australia", 1852) by William Strutt which wraps around onto the front flap and carries on underneath the flap:

Old 22nd Feb 2013, 12:39   #10
Noumenon
Senior Palimpsester

has the freedom of Palimp City

I don't often post here, as (I always tremble to admit it) most of my book-buying is Kindle-based these days... but waiting around for a friend yesterday, I popped into a second-hand book-store between my apartment the café where our writers group meets and dug up some English-language titles. My first pick emitted a cloud of papery-dust that gave me my own personal anthrax scare, but then I spotted Heinrich Böll's The Safety Net - Ono's BDO swap of The Lost Honour of Katharina Blum was one of my favourite reads of 2012, so I'm quite looking forward to this.

Five euros though... the bargain basement isn't what it is in Glasgow...
Noumenon is offline   Reply With Quote