Palimpsest  

Go Back   Palimpsest > User Forums > Politics & Society

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th Sep 2004, 17:34   #21
Colyngbourne
Administrator
is beyond help
 
Colyngbourne's Avatar
 
Join Date: 30 Apr 2003
Location: England
Posts: 10,735
Default

Well, it would be anti-beardist, wouldn't it? :wink: It's one of the few things I presently like about the current Home Secretary. There are too few beards about, when men get told to shave them off. My father-in-law has a particularly nice beard.
Colyngbourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Sep 2004, 17:37   #22
Eve
Junior Palimpsestarian
is a Regular
 
Join Date: 9 Sep 2004
Posts: 70
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Self
Quite. It is fair enough to mock Blunkett for being a knee-jerk reactionary who does everything by instinct whatever in-depth research may say; it's not fair enough to mock him for being blind
I mock him because he's evil.

Let's see if we can construct the chain of events.


This was posted "I think that they certainly brought publicity to their cause - whether it was positive or not remains to be seen. At the end of the day, it's the Home Secretary that these chaps need to change his mind - and making him and his employees look stupid is hardly the best way to go about it."

The only way it could make the HS look stupid is if he were actually there on watch - hence sneak past him.

Honestly.

Did anyone see in the papers how you are not supposed to use the word 'nitpick' anymore because of it's historical usage, how slaves were checked.
Eve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Sep 2004, 17:38   #23
Wavid
Administrator
befriends strangers
 
Wavid's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10 Apr 2003
Location: Lincolnshire
Posts: 4,553
Send a message via AIM to Wavid Send a message via MSN to Wavid Send a message via Yahoo to Wavid Send a message via Skype™ to Wavid
Default

Didn't one Labour MP get asked to shave his beard off? It was the chap who stood for London Mayor, who was Health Secretary at the time. But I can't remember his name...

...got it (I think): Frank Dobson.
Wavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Sep 2004, 17:41   #24
Eve
Junior Palimpsestarian
is a Regular
 
Join Date: 9 Sep 2004
Posts: 70
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Self
You are wrong Eve! Stop digging.
No I'm not. If people take things the wrong way I am entitled to put my case. If they then insist on bringing in the pc police for a politcal dig I don't much care. Further more nur nur nur nur nur.
Eve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Sep 2004, 17:41   #25
Wavid
Administrator
befriends strangers
 
Wavid's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10 Apr 2003
Location: Lincolnshire
Posts: 4,553
Send a message via AIM to Wavid Send a message via MSN to Wavid Send a message via Yahoo to Wavid Send a message via Skype™ to Wavid
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eve
The only way it could make the HS look stupid is if he were actually there on watch - hence sneak past him.
But this simply isn't true, is it? The Home Secretary has ultimate responsibility for the Police force and the security of the Royal family. It was he who had to attend Parliament last night to defend the actions of the Police.

Likewise, when that chap made it into ER's boudoir in 1983, or whenever it was, the HS at the time offered his resignation.
Wavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Sep 2004, 17:43   #26
Eve
Junior Palimpsestarian
is a Regular
 
Join Date: 9 Sep 2004
Posts: 70
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eve
The only way it could make the HS look stupid is if he were actually there on watch - hence sneak past him.
But this simply isn't true, is it? The Home Secretary has ultimate responsibility for the Police force and the security of the Royal family. It was he who had to attend Parliament last night to defend the actions of the Police.
OMG stop being so serious!! why is everyone so uptight?

Didn't anyone find it amusing to see Batman and Robin scaling the Palace walls :?
Eve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Sep 2004, 17:50   #27
Wavid
Administrator
befriends strangers
 
Wavid's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10 Apr 2003
Location: Lincolnshire
Posts: 4,553
Send a message via AIM to Wavid Send a message via MSN to Wavid Send a message via Yahoo to Wavid Send a message via Skype™ to Wavid
Default

Eve

Read what it says at the top of the screen. The Home of Informed Debate on the Web. We are serious on this board. That's the whole point of it.

What you might consider being uptight and PC is in fact just people trying to get along with each other within the generally accepted boundaries of this website.

There was never any need to bring David Blunkett's blindness into the debate, not for PC reasons, but because it simply wasn't relevant. If you meant it as a joke, then I am afraid the joke wasn't funny enough to get away with it.

You must think I am the most awful curmudgeon - but I have never had to slap anyone down before on this website, in the year and a half it has been running, and I don't like doing it. Please just follow the general way of doing things here, and then, however much people disagree, we can all get along as before.
Wavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Sep 2004, 17:58   #28
Eve
Junior Palimpsestarian
is a Regular
 
Join Date: 9 Sep 2004
Posts: 70
Default

Wavid. I understand you points. Fair enough but when people post - what I consider sly- 'you know what I mean' posts - when I'm trying to establish why people are having a go, you can not blame me for wanting to defend what I considered to be an outright over reaction.

If you want to stick to factual debate then everyone should be encouraged to do so.

As for political side swiping I'll stick with Lenny Bruce, Bill Hicks and my Mark Thomas.

Nicked for good measure on the D.B is a racist note, who is going to tell him his dog is black?

edited to add - Nothing I've posted was meant as a personal attack on anyone, it's just the way I draw in discussions, I can appreciate if people consider it aggressive.
Eve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Sep 2004, 18:07   #29
Wavid
Administrator
befriends strangers
 
Wavid's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10 Apr 2003
Location: Lincolnshire
Posts: 4,553
Send a message via AIM to Wavid Send a message via MSN to Wavid Send a message via Yahoo to Wavid Send a message via Skype™ to Wavid
Default

Right, let's draw a line (to use a Blairism) under all that lot, and start again with the last relevant post, which was John's I believe, and we can start again:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Self
Fathers 4 Justice are a bunch of pricks. Did you see the guy dressed as Robin who didn't make it up the wall? No wonder his kids don't want to see him! Nor will those of Batman himself through sheer embarrassment ("Da-a-a-aaad!").

However. I have represented fathers and mothers in family cases in the past and just as there are some fathers who are irresponsible idiots who put their children second to their social life and make little effort to respect the routines which are all important for sustained contact, so there are mothers who take out their animus against their ex-partner by refusing to honour obligations (imposed by the court or otherwise) to let the dad see the kids. The difficulty is what do you do when this happens? The logical end for anyone (in this case the mother) refusing to comply with a court order is for committal to prison for contempt of court. However the Children Act 1989 (or Children Order 1995 in NI), which governs this area of the law, makes it clear that the interests of the child are paramount. And it is a rare case where the interests of the child would be served by locking up mum - however badly she behaves towards dad.
Wavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Sep 2004, 18:28   #30
rick green
Palimpsestarian
could do better
 
rick green's Avatar
 
Join Date: 4 Sep 2003
Location: houston, tx, usa
Posts: 1,494
Default

Could someone kindly post a link to photos? This sounds too wacky to miss.
__________________
now watch me work
rick green is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 19:24.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.