Palimpsest  

Go Back   Palimpsest > User Forums > Politics & Society

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th Sep 2004, 17:16   #11
amarie
has never loathed cock, and
is a Palimpsester Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: 14 May 2004
Posts: 1,200
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eve
You have to admit he isn't the most progressive of home secretaries.
Indeed. His visual acuity has perhaps less than nothing to do with it, however.
Absolutley Amner. He may be blind but I find your way of expressing it quite distasteful.
amarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Sep 2004, 17:16   #12
Eve
Junior Palimpsestarian
is a Regular
 
Join Date: 9 Sep 2004
Posts: 70
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eve
You have to admit he isn't the most progressive of home secretaries.
Indeed. His visual acuity has perhaps less than nothing to do with it, however.
you never know. Don't trust any man who won't look you in the eye :wink:













No offence to the visually impaired intended. Just him.
Eve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Sep 2004, 17:17   #13
Eve
Junior Palimpsestarian
is a Regular
 
Join Date: 9 Sep 2004
Posts: 70
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarie
Quote:
Originally Posted by amner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eve
You have to admit he isn't the most progressive of home secretaries.
Indeed. His visual acuity has perhaps less than nothing to do with it, however.
Absolutley Amner. He may be blind but I find your way of expressing it quite distasteful.
what is distasteful? that he is blind or that someone should remark on it?
Eve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Sep 2004, 17:21   #14
amarie
has never loathed cock, and
is a Palimpsester Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: 14 May 2004
Posts: 1,200
Default

You know exactly what I mean.
amarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Sep 2004, 17:21   #15
Wavid
Administrator
befriends strangers
 
Wavid's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10 Apr 2003
Location: Lincolnshire
Posts: 4,553
Send a message via AIM to Wavid Send a message via MSN to Wavid Send a message via Yahoo to Wavid Send a message via Skype™ to Wavid
Default

I think it is the point that a disability is being used as an identifying adjective, and the inference that this disability has some influence on either his views or his ability to do his job.
Wavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Sep 2004, 17:22   #16
amner
Administrator
is beyond help
 
amner's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10 Apr 2003
Location: Cambridge
Posts: 10,918
Default

I'm not entirely sure why it's remark-worthy, really.

I'd have just stuck with 'nazi', personally, as surely the political cut and thrust is about positions held, not can't-be-helped disabilities, isn't it?
__________________
amner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Sep 2004, 17:27   #17
Eve
Junior Palimpsestarian
is a Regular
 
Join Date: 9 Sep 2004
Posts: 70
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarie
You know exactly what I mean.
Don't presume. No I didn't that's why I asked.
Eve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Sep 2004, 17:28   #18
John Self
Administrator
suffers from smallness of vision
 
John Self's Avatar
 
Join Date: 27 Jun 2003
Location: Belfast
Posts: 15,939
Default

Quite. It is fair enough to mock Blunkett for being a knee-jerk reactionary who does everything by instinct whatever in-depth research may say; it's not fair enough to mock him for being blind ("Well one thinks it wouldn't be too difficult to sneak past a blind nazi").

To return the point. Fathers 4 Justice are a bunch of pricks. Did you see the guy dressed as Robin who didn't make it up the wall? No wonder his kids don't want to see him! Nor will those of Batman himself through sheer embarrassment ("Da-a-a-aaad!").

However. I have represented fathers and mothers in family cases in the past and just as there are some fathers who are irresponsible idiots who put their children second to their social life and make little effort to respect the routines which are all important for sustained contact, so there are mothers who take out their animus against their ex-partner by refusing to honour obligations (imposed by the court or otherwise) to let the dad see the kids. The difficulty is what do you do when this happens? The logical end for anyone (in this case the mother) refusing to comply with a court order is for committal to prison for contempt of court. However the Children Act 1989 (or Children Order 1995 in NI), which governs this area of the law, makes it clear that the interests of the child are paramount. And it is a rare case where the interests of the child would be served by locking up mum - however badly she behaves towards dad.
John Self is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Sep 2004, 17:30   #19
Eve
Junior Palimpsestarian
is a Regular
 
Join Date: 9 Sep 2004
Posts: 70
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavid
I think it is the point that a disability is being used as an identifying adjective, and the inference that this disability has some influence on either his views or his ability to do his job.
not really and I find it amazing that anyone would get upset about it. It would have been the same kind of if he were ginger or wore big glasses. In fact I could have said bearded nazi. Would people have been upset about that?
Eve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Sep 2004, 17:33   #20
John Self
Administrator
suffers from smallness of vision
 
John Self's Avatar
 
Join Date: 27 Jun 2003
Location: Belfast
Posts: 15,939
Default

You are wrong Eve! Stop digging.
John Self is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 22:20.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.