Palimpsest  

Go Back   Palimpsest > Reviews > Other Reviews

Old 4th Aug 2006, 9:01   #11
Wavid
Administrator
befriends strangers

Send a message via AIM to Wavid Send a message via MSN to Wavid Send a message via Yahoo to Wavid Send a message via Skype™ to Wavid
Default Re: Decent Telly

It was very good, although as with a lot of Ianucci's "solo" stuff, I couldn't help but feel that it could have been better - for example with Chris Morris' involvement. But compared to most of the dross on TV at the moment, it's sterling work!
Old 4th Aug 2006, 11:04   #12
amner
Administrator
is beyond help

"Turn and face the change..."

Wasn't that wonderful?
Old 4th Aug 2006, 13:35   #13
ono no komachi
Senior Palimpsester
has the freedom of Palimp City

Yes, I loved that bit, and them being so blatant about Cameron being a Blair-alike.

I thought much of the rest of it missed the mark though. I could've particularly lived without the Charlotte Church stuff, though it provided one amusing moment with the 'Which is more disgusting, a [long description of inside-out person performing musical numbers] or having an institutionalised monarchy'? question.

Last edited by ono no komachi; 4th Aug 2006 at 14:27.
ono no komachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Aug 2006, 14:26   #14
Lucoid
Senior Palimpsester
could do better

I haven't watched it yet - got an early night and taped it, but I'll probably be back to tell you what I thought next week.
Old 8th Aug 2006, 15:06   #15
Lucoid
Senior Palimpsester
could do better

Got round to watching Time Trumpet last night - very entertaining, and personally I didn't feel it missed the mark. According to that telly-watchers oracle, the Radio Times, this week's episode picks up the pace so I'm looking forward to seeing that.

Nice to see Stewart Lee back with his inane comments.
Old 11th Aug 2006, 10:11   #16
amner
Administrator
is beyond help

Thought TT was awful last night, just Not. Funny. At. All. The Blair/Brown stuff ain't working, is it?
Old 11th Aug 2006, 10:36   #17
John Self
Administrator
suffers from smallness of vision

Well that was the first Time Trumpet I'd seen (BBC NI deigned to put it on at the same time as the rest of the country this week) and I thought it was just OK. There were some nice ideas in there, but as usual with Iannucci's solo stuff, it was overwhelmed by whimsy and nowhere near structured enough to make a coherent viewing experience. It was just too scattergun, with a lot of the items looking like scraps from the cutting room floor of The Day Today or The Friday Night Armistice. Why digitally extract David Cameron from the Jonathan Ross interview when it's so fresh in everyone's head and was a good deal more amusing than Donkey Monkey Question Time? Was Bacon Shopping Channel (which did make me smile once or twice) and The Man Who Was Just A Foot (which didn't) supposed to be representative of TV from 2008, or of TV from 2031 (when the programme was supposedly set)?

Overall it was too much of a mess to be amusing. The stuff on the website was much better. I get the impression that it would have worked better as 10 minute episodes, pretending to look like one of those dumbed down factual nugget shows BBC2 are so fond of. Either that or, like Rob Brydon's Annually Retentive, there just isn't the scope in it for a whole series and it should have been just a one-off.

EDIT: I was surprised to see Stewart Lee on it, as I thought he and Richard Herring had had a falling out with Iannucci and co which they were pretty bitter about, to do with their being contributors to On The Hour (the Radio 4 precursor to The Day Today) but then being dropped for The Day Today.
Old 11th Aug 2006, 13:48   #18
Noumenon
Senior Palimpsester

Default Re: Time Trumpet

There were a few snippets that made me laugh, but on the whole I agree. It's a shame, I hoped the good first episode would be improved on. I think JS's idea of ten minute inserts, maybe even scattered randomly through BBC2's evening schedule, would make a much better format.
Noumenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Aug 2006, 15:00   #19
Lucoid
Senior Palimpsester
could do better

Yup, I agree with the idea of the shorter, punchier episodes. I didn't enjoy last night's episode nearly as much as the first (even though there wasn't anything to match the stomach-churning inside-out Charlotte Church story), probably for the same reason - I was expecting something more spectacular. Mind you, I wasn't really watching properly as I was playing with my new mobile phone.

My partner is very keen on the bacon shopping channel idea, and I think he may be planning a new career path as a result. (This is the man whose favourite daydream is of owning a restaurant franchise called 'Baconarama'.)
Old 11th Aug 2006, 15:59   #20
Digger
Senior Palimpsester

Send a message via MSN to Digger

[tangent] everything's good wrapped in bacon [/tangent]

Book list | Flickr
Digger is offline   Reply With Quote