Go Back   Palimpsest > Reviews > Other Reviews

Old 10th Oct 2006, 23:21   #31
pandop
Palimpsestarian
eats too much cheese

Default Re: Jane Eyre ... new BBC adaptation

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Self View Post
As for writing in to the powers that be to complain about it, well that's something else...
Especially as Reader, I Married Him was on BBC4, which isn't exactly prime time for a lot of the country yet

pandop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Oct 2006, 8:08   #32
Colyngbourne
Administrator
is beyond help

Well, there you go - Jane Eyre clearly includes the governess being practically mounted by Rochester, who tries to stop her leaving by seducing her (and who suggests spending all day in bed with her). And the crassest (it has to be a real word) ending to a "classic dramatisation" ever - a family portrait that includes Grace Poole and the other servants?

But St John was good - not enough theology for my tastes and the bulk of what induces Jane to actually accept him (yes, she does in the book anyway) was omitted so that she could run off to her soul-twin. (We didn't need the modern psychological-science explanation of twins communicating across time and space to make us believe this bit.)

Why knock on doors begging for work and food, tramp from village to village in the rain and wind, give away your gloves and handkerchief for morsels to eat and take your place next to the pigs by the trough to earn someone's rejected porridge (*all of this in the book*), when all you need do is flake out on a big rock and wait for a passing parson to pick you up?

As Jane Austen's Knightley might have put it, it was "Badly done...."

Whatever C21st audiences want (more sexy smooching scenes, more detective-work on puzzling out Jane's origins -didn't those girls and St John grill her as if she were in custody?), it seems to have little to do with the spirit of the book, which is not just romantic-love-against-the-odds. At least they allowed us to feel some measure of sorrow for St John, though missed out the classic last paragraphs of the novel (at which I cry unfailingly every time).
Old 16th Oct 2006, 9:04   #33
Kimberley
Senior Palimpsester
could do better

Well, the adaptation completely lost me last night. In particular, the looooooong drawn out dialogue between Jane and Rochester at the end that, after the way everything else was so condensed was ridiculous, and, as Col says, the "family portrait" at the end which was so corny I actually laughed out loud. Time for a Kodak moment, anyone?

I didn't so much mind the way Jane and Rochester's relationahip was allowed to be shown as physical. I mean, I always assumed that was there even though Bronte didn't describe it, because that's what passionate love is, isn't it? Desire. Of course, Rocheseter wants to fuck Jane (wondering what this forum will do with my verb there) and we've seen before that he sometimes makes unwise decisions, led by "little Edward" as we might call it (laughing my socks off here, but one rude word per post is enough) there's nothing wrong with showing that now that we're not censored the way Bronte was.

Also, I can forgive St John not being given much theological dialogue, which too much of the audience might not understand. But I can't forgive Rochester's scars that looked more like he'd had a bad case of acne than been a burns victim, or the reappearance of the red scarf as Jane left (it was a cheap trick that was understandable, perhaps, but this was surely taking it too far) or the way Jane giggled at the end while posing them for that family photograph... sorry, portrait. shown ultimately with flowers as a border, wasn't it? Urgh. What were the producers thinking?
Kimberley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Nov 2006, 14:35   #34
Lucoid
Senior Palimpsester
could do better

Quote:
It's occurred to me that perhaps I should reread Jane Eyre as an adult.
Agreed, Kimberley, and am doing so - enjoying it so much more than I did 10 years ago and am even now in doubt that I can have read it, it's so different from the vague, misty memory I have of it.

Despite the weirdness of the ending I did greatly enjoy the adaptation and am very glad that I watched each part, though I do fully sympathise with those lovers of the book who feel short-changed.
Old 5th Dec 2006, 14:18   #35
Lucoid
Senior Palimpsester
could do better

Having finished my re-read the other week, my opinion of the recent adaptation has changed a little. Though I still feel that the series was compelling, the book is so much more so, due to the often unnecessary (yes, I definitely agree on this now) changes made for the compacted three-hour TV version. So, anyone considering a re-read of their own after having seen the series or thinking about reading Jane Eyre for the first time, just do it - you will be rewarded.
Old 6th Dec 2006, 18:58   #36
John from Paris
Palimpsestarian
laughs in the face of fear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberley View Post
Of course, Rocheseter wants to fuck Jane (wondering what this forum will do with my verb there) [...]
Looks like you've got away with it so far, Kimberley... we'll see if your post and my quote are censored over the coming days...
I didn't dare to use the sh** word in full when I replied, on the "avatar" thread, to BiNS, whose avatar is a too-small-to-read miniature of the "Birmingham is not sh*it" posters.
John from Paris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Dec 2006, 19:05   #37
Colyngbourne
Administrator
is beyond help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavid
The lack of a swearing filter is simply because the people here can be trusted to use the language appropriate to the point they are trying to make.
Old 7th Dec 2006, 12:01   #38
gil
Senior Palimpsester
has the freedom of Palimp City

And if they can't be trusted, there's always the amputation option...
gil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Dec 2006, 13:10   #39
Kimberley
Senior Palimpsester
could do better

Now I'm worried since it was my word that started this conversation!

I might sit here instead getting all coy like an Edwardian schoolma'am.

Seriously, though, I've got nothing against any words as long as people choose the word they really want to use. I hate hearing people dropping four letter words into every sentence; whether it's because they're insecure about belonging to a particular group and want to follow others, or too lazy to choose the word they really mean, we need to keep the colour in colourful language for those times when expressions like making love or any of those other appalling euphemisms just won't do.
Kimberley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Dec 2006, 13:53   #40
John from Paris
Palimpsestarian
laughs in the face of fear

Entirely agree, Kimberley.
Remember the days when articles in The Daily Telegraph used to report that "intimacy took place"?
Or, far more recently, The Sun's ludicrous mentions of Michael Jackson "performing a sex-act on himself" ?

[wank, wank, say no more...]
John from Paris is offline   Reply With Quote