Palimpsest  

Go Back   Palimpsest > Reviews > Other Reviews

Old 9th Oct 2006, 17:29   #1
Digger
Senior Palimpsester
has the freedom of Palimp City

Send a message via MSN to Digger
Default BBC Robin Hood - Turdsome

I freely admit to being a Robin Hood-o-phile. I had an enormous crush on Michael Praed - here he is

when he played Robin Hood in the ITV series back in the 80s (1984-86 when I was a wee lass of 8-11) (it also included the excellent Ray Winstone as Will Scarlet) and have read books, liked the Kevin Costner version, dreamt of being Maid Marion swept off my feet in the greenwood.... swoon swoon, blush blush - ridiculous I know...

so anyway, I was sort of looking forward to seeing what the Beeb made of it with all the fun that a 21st century TV production unit could possibly throw at such a romantic figure, heavens I thought, it can't be any worse... Oh deary deary me, how wrong I was.

Now I am perfectly capeable of realising that my 10 year old self was probably an awful lot less critical about technical details like chain mail and makeup and dialogue but I really do think this one was worse - a lot worse.

My two main bugbears were the absolutely awful script writing - and atrocious delivery/acting from the principals. Too much modern language, and I don't believe they needed to make it overtly olde worlde either, just not modern... (wish I'd taken notes and had some examples). and secondly the costumes - chain mail painted on fabric that flaps in the breeze, Guy of Gisbourne poncing around in pvc trench coat, women clearly wearing too much makeup, some fine, I'd have no problem with that, but glossy rimmel pink lipstick I think not! There must be a huge stock of generic chain mail/leather jerkiny type costumes hanging about in the Beeb's wardrobe, couldn't they find it?

I really do wish i'd made a proper list rather than getting stroppy and sulking in the kitchen while housemates laughed at its awfulness. Sigh, I shall have to go back to dreaming of Michael...

ANyone else inflict themselves with it?

Book list | Flickr
Digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Oct 2006, 17:38   #2
Colyngbourne
Administrator
is beyond help

Default Re: BBC Robin Hood - Turdsome

Oh, I am in so much agreement, Digger (the Praed-fixation , etc. and of course, dear old Kevin's version... )

It were rubbish from start to finish. I was officially sad, after all that build-up and waiting. There was only Richard Armitage in a black coat - momentarily - to keep my finger off the Off button (how fed-up must he be now, agreeing to be in this pile of pants). It was clever-clever-but-actually-not-very-funny, Robin was uncharismatic and the script so corny that every single Col child regarded that hour of Saturday a waste of time.

Old 9th Oct 2006, 17:46   #3
Digger
Senior Palimpsester
has the freedom of Palimp City

Send a message via MSN to Digger

Oh it makes me smile that you agree Col, the Bot and I sat there discussing it's failings and I actually said, you know, I bet Col will have watched this and I bet she thinks it's crap too!

Book list | Flickr
Digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Oct 2006, 20:32   #4
pandop
Palimpsestarian
eats too much cheese

Yup it was crap.

Yes Micheal Praed is dreamy

I saw the Herne the Hunter costume from Robin of Sherwood on wednesday

pandop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Oct 2006, 23:10   #5