Palimpsest  

Go Back   Palimpsest > User Forums > General Chat

Old 30th May 2003, 14:26   #1
Lucoid
Senior Palimpsester
could do better

Default How to listen

As a follow-up to The Milk Oracle's 'How to read' query, I'd like to ask how people like to listen to music in order to concentrate on it best or enjoy it most. When I was at school I used to listen to music while doing my homework or lying on my bed flicking through magazines, but I finished my A-levels six years ago and since then haven't really found a time or place I can regularly listen to, concentrate on and absorb myself in music, even when I was at university. I find listening to the stuff I already know really easy, as I can just turn it on and sing along or whatever, but I generally have trouble getting into new albums. It doesn't help that my car tape player is knackered so I can't just bung a copy in the machine and listen while I drive.

Any tips?
Lucoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2003, 16:00   #2
NottyImp
the aging anarchist
could do better

Walk-thingy?
Old 30th May 2003, 19:49   #3
The Milk Oracle
Junior Palimpsestarian
is new to Palimpsest

I've exactly the same problem. A colleague of mine gave me his three Radiohead CDs, and so far I could only make myself listen to one single song (although I've heard their music is really quite brilliant).
Anyway, try either the shower (if you like long showers, that is) or the sauna. Saunas are the most boring things on this planet and if you get them hot enough, they are also one of most cruel things on this planet; so cruel in fact that you'll crave for some background music to distract you. Then again, not everyone is as lucky as me and lives in a house with a private sauna.

Milk
The Milk Oracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Jun 2003, 11:45   #4
Lucoid
Senior Palimpsester
could do better

Unfortunately, no sauna.

Though I could dig out the old Walkman and copy my new cds onto tape. Good plan. Maybe I'll even invest in a portable MiniDisc player. Mind you, I still don't know when I'd actually listen!
Lucoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Jun 2003, 11:50   #5
Wavid
Administrator
befriends strangers

Send a message via AIM to Wavid Send a message via MSN to Wavid Send a message via Yahoo to Wavid Send a message via Skype™ to Wavid

Minidisc players rule. They are really versatile, and well worth the investment. You can copy CDs onto them, MP3s from your computer, anything, really.

They are really small too, and fit nicely into a jacket pocket.

As for my listening habits, the only time I really get to listen to music is when I am at my PC at home, or when I'm washing up or ironing!
Wavid is offline   Reply With Quote