Go Back   Palimpsest > Reviews > Book Reviews

Tags
kate atkinson

Old 24th May 2011, 15:28   #11
gil
Senior Palimpsester
has the freedom of Palimp City

Default Re: Kate Atkinson: One Good Turn

Pounced upon "Started Early - Took my Dog", anticipating entertainment as per Case Histories, When will there be Good News?, etc. Stalled after 30 pages. Gave up after 50. It was just too nauseously twee, especially the elderly actress.
gil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2011, 16:23   #12
amner
Administrator
is beyond help

Case Histories is on the Beeb soon, I hear. That Jason Isaacs is in it.
Old 9th Jan 2014, 15:48   #13
beer good
Palimpsestarian
could do better

Damn, Life After Life is good.

Goodreads (2013 and older)
Movies I've seen
beer good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Feb 2016, 15:43   #14
Ang
Senior Palimpsester
suckles at the teat of the Palim-God

I see a few of us have read A God in Ruins and all rated it

It may have received the 5-star treatment, hadn't I been a bit annoyed at the twist. It's like a copy of Atonement.
Old 21st Feb 2016, 17:39   #15
WCarp
Junior Palimpsestarian
is starting to settle in

Hi, Ang.

I read A God in Ruins and rated it . It may have received the 5-star treatment, hadn't I...

I read it back in March of last year and had you posed this question then (you are posing a question, right?) I may have been better able to reply. (My memory is not what it once was!) But before I give my reason for a 4 star versus a 5 star rating, I have to say that I love Atkinson. I find her clever and witty and think she has a droll sense of humor that amuses me. (I'm not sure if 'droll' is the exact word I'm searching for...but, hopefully, you know what I mean.) She will take a risk and play with genre, like in her Jackson Brodie books, which I thought were immensely entertaining. Although there were a couple little things that bothered me about Life After Life, overall, I loved it. There were some incredibly strong parts in it - she handled the Blitz, in particular, with great power and she is really masterful with portraying family. It was a book that actually kept me reading late into the night. So I was really looking forward to A God in Ruins and my high expectations may have been part of my disappointment with it (as often happens.) Not that 4 stars is truly a sign of disappointment. I just wanted it to be a 5 star book. I think the problem was that I never felt completely engaged in it as I have with Atkinson's past work and I'm not positive why that was. The crucial elements to a fine piece of literature were all on display, yet something was missing for me, something was wrong in that it wasn't grabbing me in the way I expected or wanted. I'm thinking that it may have had something to do with the novel's structure and the forward movement of the story. Not sure. Not a great, clear answer, but it is my memory of how I felt at the time. (A bit long-winded of an answer too - sorry.)

Last edited by WCarp; 25th Feb 2016 at 13:51.
WCarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Feb 2016, 19:06   #16
Ang
Senior Palimpsester

Sorry for the delay in replying, WCarp. I need to get back into checking the forum daily - it's been so long since we've been active.

It's not really a question - can you read the spoiler? Put your mouse at the front of it and select it. If you want to respond with your own spoiler, put the spoiler section between [hide and [/hide but put ] at the end of each (if I do that, it's hidden so not much help!).

I haven't read the Jackson Brodie books. I think I've only read this one and Life After Life. I liked them both quite a lot, but didn't expect to like Life After Life. A God in Ruins was really growing on me towards the end and I think perhaps I prefer it to Life After Life. I read A God in Ruins for my book club so hopefully others will have read it as well so I can see what they think of my issue with it.
Old 26th Feb 2016, 22:11   #17
WCarp
Junior Palimpsestarian
is starting to settle in

Well, I feel like an idiot now, Ang. I did wonder if you were posing a question - 'fill in the blank with your own take on it' - or if there was something to be done with your post. I had my doubts which is why I asked if you were posing a question. I had tried clicking on it, but that didn't quite do the trick. Following your instructions I now see what you wrote. I do feel a little stupid. Oh, well...
WCarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Feb 2016, 19:07   #18
Ang
Senior Palimpsester

Ah, you shouldn't! It's not obvious. Glad to talk to you again.