Palimpsest  

Go Back   Palimpsest > Reviews > Book Reviews

Old 17th Aug 2010, 10:48   #21
Ang
Senior Palimpsester
suckles at the teat of the Palim-God

Default Re: Harper Lee : To Kill A Mockingbird

I think it's about time I get around to reading this book in preparation for this event at Cheltenham.
Old 23rd Aug 2010, 9:08   #22
ono no komachi
Senior Palimpsester
has the freedom of Palimp City

I completed my re-read over the weekend, and I'm so glad I did. One thing which had dimmed in my memory was the humour in the book. I don't have it to hand, to quote lots of examples, but one line which made me laugh out loud was:

Quote:
Atticus was feeble; he was nearly fifty.
And the ending took me by surprise by making me well up; I couldn't now tell you why, just half a day later. Ach, it's such a perfect book.
ono no komachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Aug 2010, 9:40   #23
amner
Administrator
is beyond help

I should do a mini-review, thanks for the nudge, ono.

Yes, that ending is utterly rocking. The image, it still stays, of Jem being carried under the streetlight after the final confrontation is wonderfully crafted. And then all the stuff that's said and not said between Scout, Atticus, Heck Tate and - in a way - Arthur, is perfect. Very, very moving.
Old 12th Nov 2010, 11:20   #24
Suzie
Junior Palimpsestarian
is starting to settle in

I re-read this earlier in the year (first time since school) after viewing a television programme on it and have to say that it was every bit as absorbing as I remembered it.
Almost literary perfection as powerfully penned, interesting, engaging, captivating and thought-provoking.
A true classic!
Suzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Nov 2010, 14:46   #25
Capitainemoede
Junior Palimpsestarian
is new to Palimpsest

BLOCK: Do you really think this letter from Truman Capote alluding to a book from Harper Lee that he has seen and that he thinks is quite good, do you think that will actually kill the rumor that he actually wrote the book?

Dr. FLYNT: I think it will go along way towards that, although I think the most convincing evidence is really inferential evidence. Here's a person who was known for his enormous ego and for his banter and for his self-promotion. Here's a man who wanted desperately to win the National Book Award and wanted desperately to win the Pulitzer Prize and never won either one of them. And to assume, as jealous as he was of Harper Lee's success, he would not have claimed credit for this if he in fact done it, is simply too much for me to believe. So I don't know that we needed this letter, but I suppose it does put to rest some of the naysayers out there and some of the people who have claimed that she really is not a great literary talent.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...toryId=5244492
Capitainemoede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jul 2015, 21:29   #26
Ang
Senior Palimpsester
suckles at the teat of the Palim-God

Ono will remember Sarah Churchwell arguing against To Kill a Mockingbird at the Cheltenham Booker. She said that it's basically a children's book. Her point was that Atticus was too good. My take is that the story was told from Scout's point of view, so he wasn't necessarily perfect, it's just how she saw him.

Well, it appears that my supposition was right, having read Go Set a Watchman, which I believe was originally written as part of the same book.

I almost gave up, as it took a long time to get to any sort of point. Then, around page 100, Wham!