Palimpsest  

Go Back   Palimpsest > User Forums > General Chat

Old 3rd Jan 2007, 14:51   #121
the black rider
Junior Palimpsestarian
is starting to settle in

Default Re: Today, I will be mostly listening to...

I was reading an article in "Word" magazine which investigated what is typical "male" music and what is typically "female" music. They basically took four couples and compared each of their record collections against the other gender.
This, compared with a brief (though i'm betting not scientifically accurate) survey showed that "ultimate boys albums" would be the likes of Pink Floyd 'The Wall', 'Fear of a Black Planet'-Public Enemy, "Trout Mask Replica"-Captain Beefheart and "A Love Supreme"-John Coltrane, etc .
And of the ultimate female albums?
Dido-"life for rent", Jamiroquai-"Emergency on planet earth:, Keane" Hopes and Fears" and Robbie Williams-"Life Thru A Lens" etc.
How depressing. As a fully paid up member of the female of the species surely i cant be alone in the opinion that i would rather sell my firstborn to Madonna than listen to a Dido album?
Anyway the point of this was that the Amy Winehouse album "Frank" was also listed in the ultimate girls albums and that kinda put me off listening to it. Petty, moi?

Anyways today i'll be listening to "Orphans" by Tom Waits, "Blood on the Tracks", "Diamond Dogs" by Bowie and the PJ Harvey John Peel Sessions, "Blume" by Einsturzende Neubaten and "Rogues Gallery" a collection of pirate songs and sea shanties done by the likes of Nick Cave, Loudon Wainwright and Bryan Ferry (if you havent heard it, you are missing out!)
the black rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Jan 2007, 14:56   #122
John Self
Administrator
suffers from smallness of vision

Quote:
Originally Posted by the black rider
Anyways today i'll be listening to "Orphans" by Tom Waits
Might have guessed that from your username!

Welcome to Palimpsest, tbr: our second new Belfast member in a week!
Old 3rd Jan 2007, 14:58   #123
Colyngbourne
Administrator
is beyond help

Quote:
Originally Posted by the black rider View Post
... "Rogues Gallery" a collection of pirate songs and sea shanties done by the likes of Nick Cave, Loudon Wainwright and Bryan Ferry (if you havent heard it, you are missing out!)
I'd heard of this from Pirates of the... and Master&Commander friends, and was unsure whether to fork out for it - it is that good, is it? It can go on my extremely long To Buy list.

And welcome to Palimpsest

Edit: I was thinking of the Black Rider in Tolkein (or am I getting mixed up?)
Old 3rd Jan 2007, 15:09   #124
the black rider
Junior Palimpsestarian
is starting to settle in

Thanks for the welcome, to confirm the username comes from the spectacular album by Little Tommy Waits (pat on the back to you Mr Self!).
As for "Rogues Gallery" i highly recommend it. Its a double cd set with around 43 songs on it and the last time i checked it was retailing at £10.99 so bargain or what?
Listening to it makes me want to grow a beard and sit drunkenly in some seaside tavern, spinning yarns about 12 feet squid and crab people (is that just me then?)
Old 3rd Jan 2007, 15:23   #125
Digger
Senior Palimpsester
has the freedom of Palimp City

Send a message via MSN to Digger

Rogues Gallery is great - although I can't listen to both CDs in a row! Daveybot got it for Christmas. Superb.

Book list | Flickr
Digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Jan 2007, 15:45   #126
bradyguido
formerly known as Young Old Lady
is a Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger View Post
All of whom can actually sing
Although, as a witness i must say the sops (of which digger is NOT one) are the weaker contingent, but it adds a charming doorstep nature to the carols I think. The altos, tenors and Bass(es?) are VERY good.
bradyguido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Jan 2007, 22:24   #127
wshaw
Senior Palimpsester
could do better

Quote:
I was reading an article in "Word" magazine which investigated what is typical "male" music and what is typically "female" music. They basically took four couples and compared each of their record collections against the other gender.
This, compared with a brief (though i'm betting not scientifically accurate) survey showed that "ultimate boys albums" would be the likes of Pink Floyd 'The Wall', 'Fear of a Black Planet'-Public Enemy, "Trout Mask Replica"-Captain Beefheart and "A Love Supreme"-John Coltrane, etc .
And of the ultimate female albums?
Dido-"life for rent", Jamiroquai-"Emergency on planet earth:, Keane" Hopes and Fears" and Robbie Williams-"Life Thru A Lens" etc.
How depressing.
Dear oh dear. I'd say that has as much to do with the fact that the magazine is edited by Mark Ellen, bless his cotton socks, a lovely, lovely bloke, and a fair bass player, but never one able to delve too deeply into the female psyche. Unsurprisingly, Word is not awash with female writers - nor has any magazine Mark has edited been. I know because I've worked on several of them, including Word on occasions.
Old 3rd Jan 2007, 22:32   #128
leyla
Senior Palimpsester
could do better

Yes, welcome to Palimpsest, the black rider.

When I think of Tom Waits, I think of lyrics like 'his wife was a spent piece of used jet trash, made good Bloody Maries, had a little chihuahua by the name of (forgotten) that had some kind of skin disease.' The next line goes on to tell of the narrator torching his house with wife and dog enclosed, and ends with 'never could stand that dog'. Great for a laugh but somewhat disturbing for comfort music!

As for Amy Winehouse, I agree with Col. I don't know which I hated more, her solo performance or the one with Paul 'I pay £100 for my trendy far too young for me haircut and look like a vain twit' Weller. And yes, Col, the dress was too short, but AW seemed to be pulling the hemline up to display more of her (chicken, according to my S.O) legs. All very disturbing. Lily Allen was the picture of dignity and harmony in comparison.
leyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Jan 2007, 23:30   #129
the black rider
Junior Palimpsestarian
is starting to settle in

Talking Re: Today, I will be mostly listening to...

Fantastic wshaw! You've set my mind at ease, here was i worried for all the poor females out there that were yet to be liberated from the dirge that is Keane (apologies to any keane fans, what do i know?, i like listening to croaky men singing about setting their wives on fire heehee)
Old 4th Jan 2007, 8:43   #130
Colyngbourne
Administrator
is beyond help

Quote:
... liberated from the dirge that is Keane...
My son got the Keane album a couple of years ago at XmAs, and we hadn't listened to it until we returned home at New Year from visiting relatives and found a dearly beloved pet guineapig had died in our absence. So I stuck it on the CD player, thinking "Hopes and Fears? - well, we could do with a few hopeful songs to cheer us up".....not so...song after song of dire misery (and being a Cohen devotee I'm used to such things) and what's more, in some of the lyrics, misery connected with cute fluffy animals.