Palimpsest  

Go Back   Palimpsest > Palimpsest Forums > All About Palimpsest

Old 8th Dec 2006, 23:50   #121
HP
Senior Palimpsester
suckles at the teat of the Palim-God

Default Re: Issues and Problems

Still no luck? The chap from Flickr who's just written to me complaining of the same problem is a BT Broadband user. He's going to contact their support guys to see if it's something amiss with them, rather than Flickr. However, the fact we can still access other websites without difficulty suggests it's unlikely to be our broadband provider, isn't it?

Edit: Seems our posts crossed. Yes - if you keep trying to go in and out there's no improvement in speed at all. You have to get in and then move within your photostream to get things on track, it seems.
HP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Dec 2006, 3:40   #122
gil
Senior Palimpsester
has the freedom of Palimp City

I'm getting patchy Flickr performance from BT broadband.
A good cure is: switch off PC. switch off broadband box. switch on BB box. switch on PC. That helped me a lot. May have been coincidence, though.
gil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Dec 2006, 14:22   #123
HP
Senior Palimpsester

I wish it did work for me doing that, gil, but alas, not so. It's becoming apparent that the problem lies with BT broadband users in particular. Now BT bb and Yahoo (who own Flickr) are in cahoots with each other on this broadband milarky and am wondering if that's why we're only experiencing trouble with accessing Flickr, not any other internet activity; in other words, that it's an internal glitch between the two that's at the heart of all this. There's a growing band of discontented flickrites popping up daily now, complaining of the same thing. So here I have a favour to ask. Could all of you who use Flickr and have BT broadband as your Internet providers, check out how speedily you can access your photostreams and view different pages, msgs etc? And if you're having the same wretched performance, gil, John and I are experiencing, could you possibly persevere and leave a note to that effect on the Flickr forums? I've started a thread there, called: Slow, slow, quick, quick, slow. You'll find it pretty easily. To access Flickr forums, just check down at the bottom of the page on your photostream and you'll find a link to click on. My reasoning is that at present, Flickr staff are saying they've not noticed any reasons why we should be having this difficulty - it's nothing to do with them. But the rest of us are beginning to feel they haven't looked hard enough at the connection between their overlord - Yahoo - and BT broadband. Only by alerting them to just how many folk are affected by this glitch, are we likely to persuade them to start taking this seriously and to start making a real effort to put it right. Otherwise, things will just continue as they are and we all either put up with it or join Photobucket or something. If you are affected by crappy Flickr performance, it'll take you an age getting to register your complaint on that forum I've mentioned, but have another window open here or some other website that's up to par that you can browse while you're waiting. I've done a lot of that this last week!
Old 10th Dec 2006, 15:38   #124
HP
Senior Palimpsester

Just seen your post in the Flickr forum, John - thank you!
Old 10th Dec 2006, 18:19   #125
HP
Senior Palimpsester

Me again. Can I just ask which version of Firefox everybody uses? Is 2 the latest one?
Old 10th Dec 2006, 19:49   #126
John Self
Administrator
suffers from smallness of vision

I'm using 1.5.0.8.
Old 10th Dec 2006, 19:51   #127
kaninaki
Junior Palimpsestarian
is a Regular

Send a message via MSN to kaninaki

I've got 2.0. Though I mainly browse with Opera.
~Thomas Nagel.

This Absurd Life
kaninaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Dec 2006, 1:36   #128
gil
Senior Palimpsester
has the freedom of Palimp City

I just used IE on BT Broadband.
My Flickr came up in 13 seconds, HP's in a further 6 seconds. No prob. there.
gil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Dec 2006, 10:43   #129
wshaw
Senior Palimpsester
could do better

Just out of interest, have you tried a broadband speed test on your BT connection?

You can find them easily enough by googling "broadband speed test"? I'm probably going over ground you're already tried...

I'm a non-techie but the other thing I was wondering about was how full your hard drive is. I don't know if PCs have problems finding space when downloading image-heavy pages if the hard drive is full...
Old 11th Dec 2006, 13:29   #130
HP
Senior Palimpsester

It's now clear the problem is Flickr's, wshaw. Many more people all complaining of the same thing - and all finding that it's only Flickr they have a problem with. And while it occasionally runs nice and speedily, - as gil's just found - it's only for patches. Yesterday, the thing was an absolute bitch all day. The slowest it's ever been. Then suddenly, wham! Come the evening it was as zippy as you could wish for. I'm hearing more and more rumbles about Flickr and Yahoo being beseiged by problems that they're not airing publically at the moment, but there's now two threads on the Flickr forum full of complaints about speed and reliability issues. What I didn't realise until yesterday is that Flickr is fairly small fry in the photo-sharing website milarky. Photobucket have the lion's share - with a whopping 44%; Flickr has only 6%. See here for details. So if Flickr can't cope with the amount of traffic they already have, god help them should they continue to expand. They've been blighted with various gremlins from time to time, since Yahoo took them over, but usually, those gremlins get sorted before too long. This latest episode of delivery problems is certainly one of the most prolonged.

Anyway, probably because of the weather, but we've had over 20 power cuts in the last 24 hours, several this morning while I tried to add a post to Noumenon's Film Month thread thingy - about The Station Agent - so I'm not much in love with anything computery or electrical at the moment. And am definitely leaving Flickr to bugger around without me until things settle down here, power-wise. It took over fifteen minutes to get logged into Flickr this morning; things then speeded up - and then the friggin' computer crashed because of the latest black out. So I'm sorry Nou about not adding to the thread, but having nearly managed twice to get a review written and posted and lost both, I'm in no mood to vom it all out again.

Whadda they say? Sometimes the power is with you; and sometimes it ain't! Well, I think it's time to take a hint ..... !