Palimpsest  

Go Back   Palimpsest > User Forums > General Chat

Old 24th Feb 2005, 0:35   #91
rick green
Palimpsestarian
could do better

Here's a site of essays and reviews by a guy who won the National Book Critic's award for reviewing last year. I read the piece on Ayn Rand last night and liked it. Lots more here to look into.
Old 1st Mar 2005, 11:31   #92
amner
Administrator
is beyond help

Probably a tad offensive (don't let them catch you with this at work). It's not nudity or anything like that, but it does utilise most people's least-favourite word...
Old 9th Mar 2005, 17:02   #93
John Self
Administrator
suffers from smallness of vision

Excellent piece from the Guardian archive by former Sun editor Kelvin Mackenzie on their libel trials and tribulations:

Quote:
Not unreasonably Rupert [Murdoch] was becoming increasingly annoyed at the price, both in cash and image, his company was paying for the explosion in libel cases.

In order to find out the company's liabilities, he arranged for Tom Crone, News International's legal manager, to bring up all the legal papers for the outstanding libel cases and for them to be laid out in the dining room while we ate.

Rupert appeared not to be in the greatest of humour as we tucked into our chicken salad. What happened next did not help my digestion or, I suspect, his. There was a knock on the door and in came Tom, his legs buckling under the weight of the Sun's libel papers. There were so many, his head was almost hidden from view.

The editor of the News of the World, Wendy Henry, looked at me anxiously. Almost plaintively. I was soon to find out why. Thirty seconds later there was another knock on the door. This time in came three perspiring middle-aged men all weighed down by more papers. The News of the World libel ensemble had arrived.
My favourite story from the piece is this.

Quote:
An example ... came on the Sun's Bizarre column which covers pop gossip. The lead story for that day said, "Sting: Why I Have Taken Drugs."

Not much of a story but Sting was a clean-living sort of guy - and anyway we didn't have anything else. Within hours of publication we received a letter from Sting's solicitor saying they represent the "noted pop singer" Sting and that the story was wholly untrue. They wanted a full apology and a large sum in damages.

So I called in the reporter and said: "Are you sure about this?" He said: "Not only am I sure but it's all on tape." We wrote back to the lawyers telling them to get stuffed. A writ then followed.

Three weeks later we gather at a legal conference to prepare our defence to the action. News International's legal manager, me, the QC, the reporter and a tape recorder... and we play the tape.

A lot of boring dribble about what great songs he sings, why he sings them and then, finally, the crunch. The Bizarre reporter says: "Tell me Sting, have you ever taken drugs?" Sting pauses and then replies firmly: "No."

A quiet descends on the legal conference. We turn on the reporter. In unison we say: "But you said he admitted taking drugs". The reporter nods and says: "But it was the way he said no". Sting pocketed £75,000 in damages.
Priceless. If you see what I mean.
Old 9th Mar 2005, 22:43   #94
rick green
Palimpsestarian
could do better

That's rich.

Here's a funny review of a scholarly monograph On Bullshit.
Old 10th Mar 2005, 10:16   #95
gil
Senior Palimpsester
has the freedom of Palimp City

This, while a little Japanese, is VERY addictive.

My current record is 1000m and change.

The instructions are in Japanese, but as far as I can gather, the only things you have control of are the initial impact and the Aerial boost, which you can only use when the word AERIAL is the colour of the boost you want. You'll see what I mean if you play.
gil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Mar 2005, 10:52   #96
Colyngbourne
Administrator
is beyond help

I don't understand it, but I keep playing it. I don't get what the words mean on the right, and how they affect your bounce, or that the word 'aerial' just stays grey. But I've got a record of ....279 now!

ETA!!!! Just got lots of turbo-boosts and to 1059.64!!!!
Old 10th Mar 2005, 12:49   #97
amner
Administrator
is beyond help

The over-worked bods on our Help Desk have been playing this all week. Last I looked the highest score I could see was about 2500.
Old 10th Mar 2005, 13:50   #98
Colyngbourne
Administrator
is beyond help

Just had another go - 2045.33
Old 10th Mar 2005, 14:42   #99
John Self
Administrator
suffers from smallness of vision

It's a bit like pinball isn't it? The only variable (unless I've missed something) is the angle at which the arrow is pointing when you click it, and everything else is up to randomly landing on booster people etc. Consequently on my first and second goes I got about 30m and 18m, then on my third go, without consciously doing anything different, I hit 489m.
Old 12th Mar 2005, 11:51   #100
gil
Senior Palimpsester
has the freedom of Palimp City

Also, the power can be different at fire time, and the manual AERIAL boosts and Special clicks are absolutely essential for a good run.
gil is offline   Reply With Quote