Palimpsest  

Go Back   Palimpsest > User Forums > General Chat

Old 19th Apr 2007, 11:21   #11
Flutty
Palimpsestarian
is a palimpsestin' fool!

Default Re: Palimpsest made me want it...

My word this is an ancient thread... excuse me while I blow the digital dust of this digital-tome.

0)>>>>...........

So looking back over my 18 months of Palimping, I have picked up and read two books from recommendations found here. I know this because I am quite sad and keep lists of books I read, and want to read. It is what spreadsheets were invented for, me thinks.

So the two books:

"The Heart of the Matter" -- Graham Greene
Picked up for one of the Palimpsest book club reads. Probably would not have picked this one up given the subject matter. I had recently just read my first Greene -- "Our Man from Havanna" -- and had enjoyed that. So I thought why not. I still mean to read another one, but I am hesitating as to which one to go for. Any recommendations?

"The Big Sleep" -- Raymond Chandler

This came from Amner's post to the Paul Auster thread. After such a tirade -- read his books, he is brilliant -- I thought I had to try him. I did enjoy him and will go back and read another one sometime soon.

"Pattern Recognition" -- William Gibson

There is a complete thread on this book. I had tried his famous Neuromancer a few years ago and was put off it by his silly style. Gil was so enthused by this book -- he even made a website for it -- that I decided to give it a go. I enjoyed it and reviewed it here.

"Old Man and the Sea" -- Ernest Hemingway

This was not a direct recommendation. I decided to go back to Hemingway after reading the thread on him, here. I had read several of his books as a teenager and had come away with a so so reaction. Thought I would try a read now I am a bit more mature. It is great writing: my problem is his rather jaded, world weary rather masculine approach to the world -- and his hero is always the same in every book I read of his.

Errr.... did I say two books. Well I thought there was only two until I went through my read list and noticed two others. Overall, I am enjoying something of a renaissance in my reading, in part thanks to Palimpsest. Merci * toute.
Flutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Apr 2007, 11:44   #12
Digger
Senior Palimpsester
has the freedom of Palimp City

Send a message via MSN to Digger

Palimpsest makes me want more books, and to not have to work five days out of seven!

More particularly Revolutionary Road and Bleak House are two greats I've found through Palimp, and I've recently grabbed Light Years and [/i]Woman in the Dunes[/i] on the back of John Self's rave reviews.

But there are many others, lots, Palimp has shaped most of my reading for the past two years. It's great. Instead of standing in bookshops randomly reading the backs of books, or trying to eliminate the Classics I've yet to read, I have a list in my diary of 'Palimpsest recommends' and can pick and chose from those. I don't always, but more often than not.

Book list | Flickr
Digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Apr 2007, 15:01   #13
jim
Palimpsestarian
worries mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger View Post

But there are many others, lots, Palimp has shaped most of my reading for the past two years. It's great. Instead of standing in bookshops randomly reading the backs of books, or trying to eliminate the Classics I've yet to read, I have a list in my diary of 'Palimpsest recommends' and can pick and chose from those. I don't always, but more often than not.
I feel the same. I never have any difficulty deciding what to read next any more. In fact I more or less just pick what I fancy from JS's extensive Palimplist. Simple.
jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Apr 2007, 22:39   #14
Oryx
Palimpsestarian
eats too much cheese

Cormac McCarthy and William Boyd are both straight from Palimp. I may have eventually gotten to McCarthy (because of the recent Pulitzeer) but very unlikely to Boyd.
Old 21st Apr 2007, 9:26   #15
Lizzy Siddal
Palimpsestarian
is a palimpsestin' fool!

There is certainly a palimpular influence to be seen when looking at my TBR stack (the one containing most recent purchases, that is.) For in it I spy:

Peripheral Vision - Patricia Ferguson (Leyla and Paddyjoe)
The New Confessions - William Boyd (Leyla)
A few Richard Yates - recommended by almost everyone
A few Patricia Highsmith - (John Self)

Moving to my virtual TBR I spy a host of YA adult titles, a list influenced by Col. "Set in Stone" has transmigrated to the physical TBR as indeed will "The Book Thief" (when I find an affordable 1st edition). I also managed to persuade the library to buy some of Col's recommendations for the reading groups. I shall report back in due course.
Old 21st Apr 2007, 13:26   #16
Flutty
Palimpsestarian
is a palimpsestin' fool!

The organiser of the book club I belong to thought it would be a good idea to read a Vonnegut, in celebration of his life. I read through the Palimpsest thread and suggested we read Sirens of Titan.

I took a trip down to the library and I could only find Slaughterhouse Five, God Bless You, Mr Rosewater and Galapagos. So I thought I would try Galapagos.

So far I have ploughed through half it in two days, very quick for me. Really enjoying his style, wit. And despite his rather depressing description of the madness created by our creative brains, he is still able to hope for goodness in people.

The quote at the start of the book sums it up:

Quote:
"In spite of everything, I still believe people are really good at heart" -- Anne Frank
I like his narrative method of telling the tale through a ghost, telling us what will happen to each character in advance -- who will die and who will marry who, what will happen to the ship, the Mandrax computer. Somehow this just whets my appetite to discover how it all happens and how it will work out.
Flutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Apr 2007, 16:39   #17
Beth
Senior Palimpsester
suckles at the teat of the Palim-God

No past tense here. Palimpsest makes me want it...all.
Beth is offline   Reply With Quote