Palimpsest  

Go Back   Palimpsest > Reviews > Film Reviews

Old 21st Oct 2005, 8:35   #1
Digger
Senior Palimpsester
has the freedom of Palimp City

Send a message via MSN to Digger
Default Night Watch (Timur Bekmambetov dir.)

I have only a short time to say anything about this now, but if any of you get the chance and liked the Matrix, Blade and others of that kind of genre (which I cant think of at the mo) go see this.

It was slick, dark, action filled, artistic, scary in places, well acted (no Keanu here) and a great watch. Vampires on the sides of both good and evil, policing their own actions for the sake of regular humans, balance gets pushed off course with the arrival of one uber-vampire and rest of film ensues!

This is attrocious! more later, but I do recommend this!

Book list | Flickr
Digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Oct 2005, 17:27   #2
maxivida
Palimpsestarian
is a palimpsestin' fool!

Send a message via ICQ to maxivida Send a message via MSN to maxivida
Default Re: Night Watch (Timur Bekmambetov dir.)

I loved the direction and the photography - the film is extremely visually refreshing, but the story didn't really grab me. It's the first part of a trilogy, so it might get better as the story develops (unlike the Matrix), but at the end of the day, the fact remains - the forces of good and evil clashed because there wasn't enough room for them to cross the bridge at the same time.

maxivida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Oct 2005, 18:30   #3
Digger
Senior Palimpsester

Well put Maxivida, I'm hopeful for the future episodes - they cant be any worse than the Matrix sequels which really didn't grab me.

I didn't really go expecting the story to be anything new, so wasn't too dissapointed there. I did think that the whole prophesy, vortex, virgin bit was unnecessary though. It was a kind of add on that didn't seem to tie in withh the rest of the story at all although I suppose it may be returned to in later films.

It was the filming and the atmosphere that really got me. It was a bit like Sin City, but not as stylised, and in full colour, and it really felt like the dark underside of the Moscow in my head - as unfortunately I've never been.

Book list | Flickr
Old 13th Aug 2006, 18:35   #4
Stewart
Once known as Blixa
takes it to extremes

Send a message via MSN to Stewart

I hadn't realised there was a thread for this film. Personally, I couldnt' stand it. All these great visuals let down by a huge lack of explanation as to why they were possible. They just were, it seemed. Someone told me the book made more attempt to explain all these backstories.
Old 14th Aug 2006, 9:39   #5
Digger
Senior Palimpsester

I'm waiting for the next two films too, hoping that they will aid in understanding.

Book list | Flickr
Old 5th Sep 2006, 11:44   #6
Em.
Junior Palimpsestarian
is new to Palimpsest

It has been a while since I saw this but I really liked the style and atmosphere of the film (I also found it refreshing to see a film with vampires in it that didn't involve Kate Beckinsale in skin-tight PVC/leather). However, I did find the gaps in detail frustrating which left me feeling rather dissatisfied at the end of the film. I think I would have preferred slightly less action in favour of more explanation of what was going on.
Em. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Sep 2006, 11:48   #7
amner
Administrator
is beyond help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em. View Post
I also found it refreshing to see a film with vampires in it that didn't involve Kate Beckinsale in skin-tight PVC/leather
O but that would be a bad thing, surely?:

Old 5th Sep 2006, 11:59   #8
Colyngbourne
Administrator
is beyond help

Please tell me the vampires in Night Watch don't snarl. I hate vampires who snarl (and those who, after hundreds of years of practising, still dribble blood when they eat).
Old 5th Sep 2006, 13:03   #9
beer good
Palimpsestarian
could do better

Can't recall if they snarled. Suppose I'll have to rewatch it sometime, since I have it on DVD.

I quite liked the movie - it's a somewhat fresh approach to the whole supernatural thriller thingy, with a great lead character, and I loved the idea of good and bad calling a truce and policing each other. (Plus, I'm a sucker for Buffy references.) However, the whole storyline WAS very much rushed; the book explains things a lot better. In fact, with some distance to both, I think I'd recommend the book over the film.

Goodreads (2013 and older)
Movies I've seen
beer good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Apr 2007, 15:23   #10
Noumenon
Senior Palimpsester

Minor Spoilers below, so here's my opinion: 1/2

I watched this last night for the second time and enjoyed it much more - but I think it was shorter than the first time I saw it. I have a hazy recollection of a sub-plot in which another Light Other is contacted in a supermarket and directed to chat up the Vortex Girl and possibly steal her virginity - this was entirely missing from last night's DVD. Its absence improves the film significantly; it was a slow sequence and (I'm guessing now) added twenty minutes to the middle third of the film, weighing everything down. The upshot is that Night Watch maintains its pace right from the first minute - much like Sunshine has been noted to do - instead of slowing, slowing, slowing before a burst of activity at the end.

I also recall, with equal haziness, some kind of time reversal that explicitely rescued the power station workers; the version I just saw did not return to redeem them of the crime of boiling sausages on explosion-ready pipes, even though the implication still seems to be that the power is returned to Moscow so presumably the power station is too. And, with even less certainty on my part, I couldn't help pondering if the finale hadn't been slightly tweaked as well, but I could be off the mark there entirely.
Noumenon is offline   Reply With Quote